Prajnaparamita Sutra

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
Tiago Simões

Prajnaparamita Sutra

Post by Tiago Simões »

What is the best translation freely available on the internet of the prajnaparamita sutra? Also is there a Sanskrit/Tibetan/English Tibetan style (easier to use for me) version ?

:thanks:
pemachophel

Re: Prajnaparamita Sutra

Post by pemachophel »

Tiago,

Here's one free version along with the dog-pa/reversal and a shorter terma version of PP in a single syllable. Good luck & best wishes.

Prajna Paramita Heart Sutra

Gya-gar ked-du: Bhagawati Prajna Paramita Hridaya Sutra
Bod ked-du: Chom-den-de-ma She-rab-kyi Pha-rol-tu-chin-pe Nying-po Do

I prostrate to all the Buddhas and Bodhisatvas.

Thus I have heard:

Once the Blessed One was dwelling in Rajgir at the Vulture Peak Mountain together with a great gathering of monks and Bodhisatvas. At that time, the Blessed One entered the samadhi which examines the dharmas called Profound Illumination. At the same time, Arya Avalokiteshwara, the Bodhisatva Mahasatva, looking at the profound practice of transcendent wisdom, saw the five skandhas and their natural emptiness. Then, through the inspiration of the Buddha, Shariputra said to Avalokiteshwara, “How should those noble ones learn who wish to follow the profound path of transcendent wisdom?”

And Avalokiteshwara answered:

“Shariputra, whoever wishes to follow the profound practice of transcendent wisdom should look at it like this, seeing the five skandhas and their natural emptiness. Form is emptiness; emptiness itself is form. Emptiness is no other than form; form is no other than emptiness. In the same way, feeling, perception, formation, and consciousness are emptiness. Thus all the dharmas are emptiness and have no characteristics. They are unborn and unceasing. They are not impure or pure. They neither decrease nor increase. Therefore, since there is emptiness, there is no form, no feeling, no perception, no formation, no consciousness; no eye, no ear, no nose, no tongue, no body, no mind; no appearance, no sound, no smell, no taste, no sensation, no objects of mind; no quality of sight, no quality of hearing, no quality of smelling, no quality of tasting, no quality of sensing, no quality of thought, no quality of mind-consciousness. There are no nidanas, from ignorance to old age and death, nor their wearing out. There is no suffering, no cause of suffering, no end of suffering, and no path; no wisdom, no attainment, and no non-attainment. Therefore, since there is no attainment, the Bodhisatvas abide by means of transcendent wisdom, and, since there is no obscurity of mind, They have no fear, They transcend falsity, and pass beyond the bounds of sorrow. All the Buddhas who dwell in the past, present, and future, by means of transcendent wisdom, fully and clearly awaken to unsurpassed, true, complete Enlightenment. Therefore, the mantra of transcendent wisdom, the mantra of deep insight, the unsurpassed mantra, the unequaled mantra, the mantra which calms all suffering should be known as truth, for there is no deception. In transcendent wisdom, the mantra is proclaimed:

“OM GA-TE GA-TE PA-RA-GA-TE PA-RA-SAM-GA-TE BO-DHI SO-HA

“Oh Shariputra, this is how a Bodhisatva Mahasatva should learn profound transcendent wisdom.”

Then the Blessed One arose from that samadhi and praised the Bodhisatva Mahasatva Avalokiteshwara, saying,

“Good, good, Oh son of the [noble] Family. Profound transcendent wisdom should be practiced just as You have taught and the Tathagatas will rejoice.”

When the Blessed One had said this, Shariputra and Avalokiteshwara, that whole gathering and the world with its Gods, humans, Asuras, and Gandharvas rejoiced [and] praised the words spoken by the Blessed One.

Prayer to Avert Negativity

I prostrate to the Guru
I prostrate to the Buddha.
I prostrate to the Dharma.
I prostrate to the Sangha.
I prostrate to the Great Mother, Prajna Paramita.

Through the power and force of prostrating to You all, may these truthful words of ours be fulfilled.

Just as the mighty God Indra, in the past, through the power and force of contemplating the profound meaning and reciting these verses of the Great Mother, Prajna Paramita, drove away Maras and evil ones, in the same way, may the power and force of our own reflection upon the profound meaning and recitation of these verses of the Great Mother, Prajna Paramita, turn back all opposition and all that must be abandoned so that we and our companions can practice the sacred Dharma.

May they be repelled. (clap)
May they be eliminated. (clap)
May they be pacified. (clap)
May they be completely pacified. (clap)

Teaching the arising from interdependence,
No cessation, no birth,
No nihilism, no eternalism,
No coming, no going,
Free from many meanings, free from one meaning,
You, the Teacher of peace Who removes complexity,
The perfect Buddha, the best among humans,
I prostrate to You.

Prajna Paramita in a Single Letter

Gya-gar ked-du: Akakasharam Prajna Paramita Sarwa Tathagata Ma Nama
Bod ked-du: De-zhin-sheg-pa Tham-ched-kyi Yum She-rab kyi Pha-rol-tu-chin-pa Yi-ge Chig-ma Zhe-ja-wa Zhug-so

I prostrate to the Great Mother, Prajna Paramita!

Thus I have heard:

Once the Blessed One was dwelling in Rajgir at the Vulture Peak Mountain together with 83 monks and many tens of billions of Bodhisatvas Who were all abiding together as one skillful device. Furthermore, at that time, at that moment, the Blessed One spoke these words to Venerable Ananda:

“Oh Ananda, this is the Prajna Paramita in a single feminine letter. For the benefit and happiness of all sentient beings, you should hold it. It goes thus:

“A.”

When the Blessed One had said this, that whole gathering and the world with its Gods, humans, Asuras, and Gandharvas rejoiced [and] praised the words spoken by the Blessed One.

[Thus] the Prajna Paramita in a Single Femine Letter, the Mother of All Sugatas is completed.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
udawa

Post by udawa »

pemachophel wrote:Tiago,

Here's one free version along with the dog-pa/reversal and a shorter terma version of PP in a single syllable. Good luck & best wishes.

Prayer to Avert Negativity

I prostrate to the Guru
I prostrate to the Buddha.
I prostrate to the Dharma.
I prostrate to the Sangha.
I prostrate to the Great Mother, Prajna Paramita.

Through the power and force of prostrating to You all, may these truthful words of ours be fulfilled.

Just as the mighty God Indra, in the past, through the power and force of contemplating the profound meaning and reciting these verses of the Great Mother, Prajna Paramita, drove away Maras and evil ones, in the same way, may the power and force of our own reflection upon the profound meaning and recitation of these verses of the Great Mother, Prajna Paramita, turn back all opposition and all that must be abandoned so that we and our companions can practice the sacred Dharma.

May they be repelled. (clap)
May they be eliminated. (clap)
May they be pacified. (clap)
May they be completely pacified. (clap)

Teaching the arising from interdependence,
No cessation, no birth,
No nihilism, no eternalism,
No coming, no going,
Free from many meanings, free from one meaning,
You, the Teacher of peace Who removes complexity,
The perfect Buddha, the best among humans,
I prostrate to You.
Thanks for this. Do you know anything about the origin of the dogpa ritual? Is it a mahayana practice do you think?
Edwards: You are a philosopher. Dr Johnson: I have tried too in my time to be a philosopher; but, I don't know how, cheerfulness was always breaking in.
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

pemachophel wrote:Tiago,...
Ah! thanks That will do :smile: Can the prayer be recited normally? or is it part of a vajrayana practice?
Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

pemachophel wrote:a shorter terma version of PP in a single syllable.
Do you know who revealed this?
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།
Javierfv1212

Post by Javierfv1212 »

tiagolps wrote:What is the best translation freely available on the internet of the prajnaparamita sutra? Also is there a Sanskrit/Tibetan/English Tibetan style (easier to use for me) version ?

Which one?
It is quite impossible to find the Buddha anywhere other than in one's own mind.
A person who is ignorant of this may seek externally,
but how is it possible to find oneself through seeking anywhere other than in oneself?
Someone who seeks their own nature externally is like a fool who, giving a performance in the middle of a crowd, forgets who he is and then seeks everywhere else to find himself.
— Padmasambhava

Visit my site: https://sites.google.com/view/abhayajana/
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

Javierfv1212 wrote:
tiagolps wrote:What is the best translation freely available on the internet of the prajnaparamita sutra? Also is there a Sanskrit/Tibetan/English Tibetan style (easier to use for me) version ?

Which one?
Normally when I say the Prajnaparamita Sutra, I mean the Heart Sutra, because it's just the most common one, but yes I understand it's a category. :tongue:

Return to “Sūtra Studies”