観仏三昧海経 (Oceanic Samadhi Contemplating the Buddha Sutra?)

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
Queequeg
Former staff member

観仏三昧海経 (Oceanic Samadhi Contemplating the Buddha Sutra?)

Post by Queequeg »

Anyone know if there is an English translation?
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
crazy-man

Re: 観仏三昧海経 (Oceanic Samadhi Contemplating the Buddha Sutra?)

Post by crazy-man »

The Sutra on the Ocean-like Samadhi of the Visualization of the Buddha - The Interfusion of the Chinese and Indian Cultures in Central Asia as Reflected in a Fifth Century Apocryphal Sutra
www.de.scribd.com/document/278127369/Th ... as-Reflect

Visualization/Contemplation Sutras
http://www.oxfordbibliographies.com/vie ... -div2-0001
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Cool. Not a translation, but very interesting links. Thanks, CM.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
rory

Post by rory »

You could ask Rev. Jikai Queequeg, as it's a Pure Land contemplation and Tendai keeps and practices Pure Land visualization meditations. He'd know
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Thanks, Rory.
rory

Post by rory »

Queequeg wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:03 am Thanks, Rory.
glad to help & please share if there is something. I'm terribly interested, what a great topic!
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/
jikai

Post by jikai »

I am familiar with the text. Zhiyi makes use of it. To my knowledge there are no English translations unfortunately. But I'll ask around. Otherwise, I can add it to the ever-growing 'to-do list' of translations.
"止觀明靜前代未聞"
(摩訶止觀)

"此妙法蓮花經者本地甚深之奧藏也"
( 法華玄義)

"觀心者空觀是般若假觀是解脫中觀是法身"
(法華文句)
DewachenVagabond

Post by DewachenVagabond »

You mean the Pratyutpanna Samadhi Sutra right? If so, BDK has a translation of it:

http://www.bdkamerica.org/book/pratyutp ... 1dhi-sutra
:bow: :buddha1: :bow: :anjali: :meditate:
jikai

Post by jikai »

SonamTashi wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:27 am You mean the Pratyutpanna Samadhi Sutra right? If so, BDK has a translation of it:

No, we are talking about the text named in the title of this thread: 觀佛三昧海經 The Contemplation of the Buddha Samadhi like the Sea Sutra.

Gassho,

Jikai.
"止觀明靜前代未聞"
(摩訶止觀)

"此妙法蓮花經者本地甚深之奧藏也"
( 法華玄義)

"觀心者空觀是般若假觀是解脫中觀是法身"
(法華文句)
DewachenVagabond

Post by DewachenVagabond »

jikai wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:51 am
SonamTashi wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:27 am You mean the Pratyutpanna Samadhi Sutra right? If so, BDK has a translation of it:

No, we are talking about the text named in the title of this thread: 觀佛三昧海經 The Contemplation of the Buddha Samadhi like the Sea Sutra.

Gassho,

Jikai.
Oh okay. The English titles are so similar (The Sutra of the Samadhi of Being in the Presence of All the Buddhas and Oceanic Samadhi Contemplating the Buddha Sutra) I thought it might be the same one, especially because Rory said it was a Pure Land contemplation. I was definitely confused as to why everyone was saying the Pratyutpanna Samadhi Sutra hadn't been translated into English.
:bow: :buddha1: :bow: :anjali: :meditate:

Return to “Sūtra Studies”