Abhidharmasamuccaya

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
Nicholas Weeks

Abhidharmasamuccaya

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Bodhisattva Asanga's classic work of definitions & descriptions:

http://www.fairfun.net/my3/panna_my/b%2 ... Rahula.pdf
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Nicholas Weeks

Re: Abhidharmasamuccaya

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

A book version from Asian Humanities Press with the translation by Sara Boin-Webb of the same Walpola Rahula's French translation is also available.

This one and the Gelongma's are so similar (in notes too) that one must have used the other a lot.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Nicholas Weeks wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:39 pm A book version from Asian Humanities Press with the translation by Sara Boin-Webb of the same Walpola Rahula's French translation is also available.
The Ani & Boin-Webb may have worked independently, so similarities in translation are just because the French of Rahula can be rendered similarly.

Here is a verse compared, from page 10 Boin-Webb. The bottom quote from the Ani version is only online, not in book form so far as I know:
« [8] What is trust (sraddha)? It is full and firm conviction (abbisampratyaya) with regard to that which exists (astitva), serene joy (prasada) relating to good qualites (gunavattva), and eagerness (abhilasa) for capability (sakyatva). Its function consists of giving a basis to will.
8. What is faith (śraddhā)? It is complete and firm conviction (abhisampratyaya) with respect to what exists (astitva), serene joy (prasāda) relative to good qualities (guṇavatna) and the aspiration (abhilāṣa) for capability (śakyatva). Its function is to provide a basis for will.
Both translations have correct diacriticals, I am too lazy to reproduce them here. Why the two terms in bold differ, I do not know.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

While dipping into the Karma section of Geshe Sopa's commentary on the Lamrim Chenmo I noticed that however popular & influential Vasubandhu's Kosa is, Geshe Sopa says Asanga's Abhidharmasamuccaya is the higher Abhidharma & the Kosa the lower.

Wonder how widespread that valuation is?

Asanga's is a much smaller work and his arrangement of topics & descriptions of terms is clearer to me.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Nicholas Weeks wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:34 pm While dipping into the Karma section of Geshe Sopa's commentary on the Lamrim Chenmo I noticed that however popular & influential Vasubandhu's Kosa is, Geshe Sopa says Asanga's Abhidharmasamuccaya is the higher Abhidharma & the Kosa the lower.

Asanga's is a much smaller work and his arrangement of topics & descriptions of terms is clearer to me.
Well the source text is Asanga's. The Kosa, although extremely important, comes later and is supplementary to the Abhidharmasamuccaya. That is why it is considered that way.

Kevin...
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Virgo wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:20 pm
Nicholas Weeks wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:34 pm While dipping into the Karma section of Geshe Sopa's commentary on the Lamrim Chenmo I noticed that however popular & influential Vasubandhu's Kosa is, Geshe Sopa says Asanga's Abhidharmasamuccaya is the higher Abhidharma & the Kosa the lower.

Well the source text is Asanga's. The Kosa, although extremely important, comes later and is supplementary to the Abhidharmasamuccaya. That is why it is considered that way.

Kevin...
May have more to do with their respective tenet systems, as the Geshe mentioned higher of Asanga vs lower.

Return to “Sūtra Studies”