Sutras Extolling Benefits of Calm Abiding?

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
WeiHan

Sutras Extolling Benefits of Calm Abiding?

Post by WeiHan »

I'll be grateful if anyone can point to me the following which I'll describe.

I know of sutras that extol the benefits for a great variety of practices such as reciting the names of various Buddhas, developing loving kindness, refraining from 10 non-virtuous deeds, practicing generosity and developing bodhicitta etc...

However, probably I am not very erudite, I can't think of any sutras that extol the benefits of calm abiding meditation or even insight meditation. This doesn't click too well with understanding as calm abiding and insight meditation are crucial ingredient along the path for many schools in Buddhism. I'll be thankful if anybody help me out with this.
Malcolm

Re: Sutras Extolling Benefits of Calm Abiding?

Post by Malcolm »

WeiHan wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:29 pm I'll be grateful if anyone can point to me the following which I'll describe.

I know of sutras that extol the benefits for a great variety of practices such as reciting the names of various Buddhas, developing loving kindness, refraining from 10 non-virtuous deeds, practicing generosity and developing bodhicitta etc...

However, probably I am not very erudite, I can't think of any sutras that extol the benefits of calm abiding meditation or even insight meditation. This doesn't click too well with understanding as calm abiding and insight meditation are crucial ingredient along the path for many schools in Buddhism. I'll be thankful if anybody help me out with this.
The Bodhisattva Pitika Sūtra is pretty comprehensive in this regard.
WeiHan

Post by WeiHan »

Thanks for the reply Malcolm.

But I can't find any English Translation of this sutra right now yet in the internet. Do you happen to know any short quotes either in this sutra or other sutras extolling the importance of Shamatha meditation?

Right now, really I can only recall sutras that I know of that extol the great benefits of reciting that particular sutra itself, eg Diamond Sutra etc..Shamatha is only mentioned in commentaries of the entire path by masters such as Tsongkhapa, Asanga etc..I checked Dezhung Rinpoche's commentary on the Triple Vision for the part on Shamatha and indeed he only has a few quotes from Bodhisattvacaryāvatāra.
Sentient Light

Post by Sentient Light »

The Maitreya chapter of the Samdhinirmocana Sutra.
:buddha1: Nam mô A di đà Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Quan Thế Âm Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Đại Thế Chi Bồ Tát :bow:

:buddha1: Nam mô Bổn sư Thích ca mâu ni Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Di lặc Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Địa tạng vương Bồ tát :bow:
crazy-man

Post by crazy-man »

ārya-bodhisattva-piṭaka-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra
http://databases.aibs.columbia.edu/inde ... ll=kangyur
English Resources
Author:Pederson, Kusumita Priscilla
Title:The Dhyāna Chapter of the Bodhisattva-piṭaka-sūtra
Publ. Date:1976
Publ. Details:Thesis (Ph.D.) Columbia Univ.

Author:Pagel, Ulrich
Title:″The Bodhisattvapiṭaka″
Publ. Date:1995
Publ. Details:Tring, U.K.: Inst. of Budhist Studies
Notes:English translation of chapter 11 (from Tibetan)

Author:Liland, Fredrik, and Braarvig, Jens
Title:[Bodhisattvapiṭaka]
Publ. Details:[Forthcoming (84,000 Project)]
Notes:Complete English translation
Ta p'u-sa tsang ching 大菩薩藏經(20 fasc)
Bodhisattva piṭaka-sūtra.
(Sutra of the Scriptural-Basket of the Great Bodhisattva)
(included in T.11.310 [sūtra 12] secs. 35-54)
Hung-fu (Vast Prosperity) Monastery 弘褔寺
NOTE: Part of the Ratnakūta sūtra. The brunt of the Ratnakūta was translated by Bodhiruci (706) and Dharmarakṣa (313), though many other translators contributed selections. According to Hsüan-tsang's biography, the last text he was asked to translate was the complete Ratnakūta. He began, but sickness and old age prevented him from getting very far. Since Ta p'u-sa tsang ching was the first text he translated upon returning to China, that brought his work full circle.
http://www.acmuller.net/yogacara/thinke ... ks-uni.htm

Return to “Sūtra Studies”