Best translations of Tathāgatagarbha Sūtrs in general

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
Seeker12

Best translations of Tathāgatagarbha Sūtrs in general

Post by Seeker12 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:15 am

Any recommendations for English translations of the TGG Sūtras in general? Any sutras in the class is fine, I’m curious for recommendations broadly.

Thanks.
Better than if there were thousands of meaningless words is
one meaningful word that on hearing brings peace. Dhp

smcj

Re: Best translations of Tathāgatagarbha Sūtrs in general

Post by smcj » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:41 am

I like Snow Lion's "Buddha Nature: The Mahayana Uttaratantra Shastra with Commentary." tr. Rosemarie Fuchs. The commentary is by Jamgon Kongtrul Lodro Thaye, so it is pretty authoritative if you're a Karma Kagyupa.

I'm no expert, but I'm led to believe that the Uttaratantra is pretty much the go-to text for TGG teachings. It has the most comprehensive take on the subject and seems to be the one most referenced by current teachers. Brunnhölzl has a scholarly (and wonderful) translation of the same text called "When Clouds Part", with lots of supporting chapters talking about the text's importance to various Kagyu lamas over the centuries. But that's a 1,000 page masterwork on how Buddha Nature is handled in KagyuLand. Maybe it shouldn't be your first exposure.
I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against Lama abuse.

Seeker12

Re: Best translations of Tathāgatagarbha Sūtrs in general

Post by Seeker12 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:52 pm

smcj wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:41 am
I like Snow Lion's "Buddha Nature: The Mahayana Uttaratantra Shastra with Commentary." tr. Rosemarie Fuchs. The commentary is by Jamgon Kongtrul Lodro Thaye, so it is pretty authoritative if you're a Karma Kagyupa.

I'm no expert, but I'm led to believe that the Uttaratantra is pretty much the go-to text for TGG teachings. It has the most comprehensive take on the subject and seems to be the one most referenced by current teachers. Brunnhölzl has a scholarly (and wonderful) translation of the same text called "When Clouds Part", with lots of supporting chapters talking about the text's importance to various Kagyu lamas over the centuries. But that's a 1,000 page masterwork on how Buddha Nature is handled in KagyuLand. Maybe it shouldn't be your first exposure.
Thanks. I'm familiar with that book and have a copy. I've enjoyed it.

I was specifically looking for Sutras such as the Tathāgatagarbha Sūtra, Śrīmālādevī Siṃhanāda Sūtra, Mahāyāna Mahāparinirvāṇa Sūtra, the Aṅgulimālīya Sūtra, etc. I've read some but was curious as to recommendations from others.

Thanks regardless.
Better than if there were thousands of meaningless words is
one meaningful word that on hearing brings peace. Dhp

Nicholas Weeks

Re: Best translations of Tathāgatagarbha Sūtras in general

Post by Nicholas Weeks » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:13 pm

Seeker12 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:15 am
Any recommendations for English translations of the TGG Sūtras in general? Any sutras in the class is fine, I’m curious for recommendations broadly.

Thanks.
You did not say if you have read Rulu's translations, if not here are over 50 sutras, some of which are Tathagatagarbha. Also in books.

http://www.sutrasmantras.info/intro.html
Glorious one, creator of all goodness, Mañjuśrī, his glorious eminence!
Manjushri-namasamgiti

Return to “Sūtra Studies”