The Great Perfection of Wisdom Treatise, Mahāprajñāpāramitā Upadeśa, 大智度論

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
jikai

The Great Perfection of Wisdom Treatise, Mahāprajñāpāramitā Upadeśa, 大智度論

Post by jikai »

Forgive me if this has already been announced here somewhere: for anyone who has an interest in Madhyamaka, Nagarjuna,Tiantai, Tendai, Zhiyi, Lotus Buddhism more generally: I heard through the grapevine that FGS intends to publish a complete translation of Nagarjuna's Dazhidulun! (Maha Prajna Paramita Upadesa).

If you have any interest or connection to Madhyamaka, Lotus Buddhism, or even East Asian Buddhism in general, please support and patronise this project. They have released the first five fascicles in five volumes, amd they are free! You just have to pay for shipping. Although if you can, please do donate to the project, even if its only a little. I have also been told that the next five fascicles of the text (6-10) will be released in 'autumn' (Northern Hemisphere).

I've received my copy of the first five fascicles, and from the brief perusal I've been able to give them, they look very nicely done. The footnoting is kept to the minimum, but the upside is that they contain the classical Chinese text on the facing page. This is great for all of you out there learning literary Buddhist Chinese. The language of the Dazhidulun is actually not too difficult to get the hang of, so it would work great as a reader of sorts.

Each fascicle comes in its own hardback volume. The first five fascicles come in a nice purple box. On the whole I think the set is very well done, and being as they are, a very large organisation of practitioners, we might actually get a full translation of the work if we show that its valued. The preface to the first fascicle is written by our own Venerable Shi Huifeng. You can find the set at the following link: http://www.fgsitc.org/books/

As most of you know, the first 30 or so fascicles were previously translated into French by Lamotte. These have extensive footnoting and you can find English translations of those by Venerable Gelongma online. For the footnoting and extra info these PDFs will still be of great value. A portion of the text has also been translated by Bhiksu Dharmamitra of Kalavinka Press. But to have a nice set of the entire work would be fantastic. So please support this project.

Gassho

Jikai
"止觀明靜前代未聞"
(摩訶止觀)

"此妙法蓮花經者本地甚深之奧藏也"
( 法華玄義)

"觀心者空觀是般若假觀是解脫中觀是法身"
(法華文句)

Return to “Sūtra Studies”