Favorite Sutra?

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
PeterC

Re: Favorite Sutra?

Post by PeterC »

Just one?

Kalama Sutta (the first sutra I ever heard)
Vajracchedika Prajnaparamita Sutra (the first sutra I ever read)
Aggi-Vaccagotta Sutta
Tathagatagharba Sutra
tonysharp

Post by tonysharp »

As a newcomer to the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions, the Aṣṭasāhasrikā Prajñāpāramitā Sūtra (Perfection of Wisdom in 8,000 Lines) struck an initial chord with me.
If he knows the five aggregates as like an illusion,
But makes not illusion one thing, and the aggregates another;
If, freed from the notion of multiple things, he courses in peace—
Then that is his practice of wisdom, the highest perfection.
I've also felt a connection with the Avatamsaka Sutra. Not only is it beautifully written, it covers a breadth of doctrine. I'm kind of sad that I can't have a fresh physical copy of this text without spending $125. I think I'd really enjoy sitting away from my computer and engaging with it. Maybe I could settle with another text in its place.

From the Theravada tradition, my favorite suttas for guidance are the Metta Sutta (Snp 1.8) and the Dīghajāṇu Sutta (AN 8.54). And for practice, I looked to the Sāleyyaka Sutta (MN 41) and the Mahānāma Sutta (AN 11.12 or 11.13).
“It is a perfection that does not aim at completion; rather, it is wisdom based on practice through which one is always progressing toward the ideal.”
Mu Soeng
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Tony sharp,

This is the final Avatamsaka chapter giving the Kumara Sudhana's pilgrimage & initiation as a Bodhisattva. Used copies range from $50-80 - 400pp. Entry Into the Realm of Reality: The Text - Cleary's version - make sure you get The Text (not the Guide) That same chapter 39 can be found in 5 or 6 BTTS paperbacks, with Master Hua's comments.

Also look for more BTTS translations with Master Hsuan Hua's commentaries, these focus on single chapters usually. Some in paperback, some newer chapters in hardcover.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

Heart Sutra, they say it's illogical, but it makes perfect sense to me!
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

SunWuKong wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 6:16 am Heart Sutra, they say it's illogical, but it makes perfect sense to me!
Who is they?
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

tonysharp wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 4:31 pm
I've also felt a connection with the Avatamsaka Sutra. Not only is it beautifully written, it covers a breadth of doctrine. I'm kind of sad that I can't have a fresh physical copy of this text without spending $125. I think I'd really enjoy sitting away from my computer and engaging with it. Maybe I could settle with another text in its place.
Just a heads up to you and everyone else that it's relatively cheap now days to find independent, book printing services online, some of which happy to do single prints or very few copies. I had some copies of the PP in 10000 lines printed this way.

So if there are sutras you have the Pdf or documents for and the work is under creative commons, not for profit licence you can go ahead. Many Sutras on the 84,000 website are held under these licenses.

For others, maybe seeking permission to print or donating may suffice where possible.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
DewachenVagabond

Post by DewachenVagabond »

The Pratyutpanna Samadhi Sutra

The Shorter and Longer Sukhavativyuha Sutras

The Surangama Sutra

The Heart Sutra
:bow: :buddha1: :bow: :anjali: :meditate:
tonysharp

Post by tonysharp »

Nicholas Weeks wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 5:30 pm(...) Also look for more BTTS translations with Master Hsuan Hua's commentaries, these focus on single chapters usually. Some in paperback, some newer chapters in hardcover.
I'll do that now.
Vasana wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:53 pmJust a heads up to you and everyone else that it's relatively cheap now days to find independent, book printing services online, some of which happy to do single prints or very few copies. I had some copies of the PP in 10000 lines printed this way. (...)
Wow, I never knew this was an option. I'll look into it.

Thank you both.
“It is a perfection that does not aim at completion; rather, it is wisdom based on practice through which one is always progressing toward the ideal.”
Mu Soeng
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

tonysharp wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:12 pm
Nicholas Weeks wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 5:30 pm(...) Also look for more BTTS translations with Master Hsuan Hua's commentaries, these focus on single chapters usually. Some in paperback, some newer chapters in hardcover.
I'll do that now.
Vasana wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:53 pmJust a heads up to you and everyone else that it's relatively cheap now days to find independent, book printing services online, some of which happy to do single prints or very few copies. I had some copies of the PP in 10000 lines printed this way. (...)
Wow, I never knew this was an option. I'll look into it.

Thank you both.
I forgot that Rulu translated many (but not all) of the Avatamsaka. This link will give you much background about the HuaYen writings & tradition:

http://www.sutrasmantras.info/introbook5.html

Rulu also translated chapters 40 & 38 which you can find under the Sutras section of the website. There are also printed books available, such as Transcending the World, which contains chapter 38.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

For those who prefer books to pdfs, one can read these seven sutra compilations by Rulu. She has wonderful notes & introductions too.

https://www.amazon.com/kindle-dbs/entit ... ctorHeader

Focusing only on Avatamsaka Sutra chapters:

The Bodhisattva Way contains the very valuable ch. 26 on the Ten Bodhisattva Stages.
Two Holy Grounds has ch. 27 thru 37.
Transcending the World has the big chapter 38, which is not on Amazon now.
Thinking of Amitabha Buddha has chapter 40 with Mahasattva Samantabhadra's ten vows
tonysharp

Post by tonysharp »

Nicholas Weeks wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:26 pmI forgot that Rulu translated many (but not all) of the Avatamsaka. This link will give you much background about the HuaYen writings & tradition:

http://www.sutrasmantras.info/introbook5.html

Rulu also translated chapters 40 & 38 which you can find under the Sutras section of the website. There are also printed books available, such as Transcending the World, which contains chapter 38.
Excellent.
For those who prefer books to pdfs ...
There are PDFs on sutrasmantras.info? Honestly, the site is a bit difficult to navigate.
Mu Soeng
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

tonysharp wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:06 pm
For those who prefer books to pdfs ...
There are PDFs on sutrasmantras.info? Honestly, the site is a bit difficult to navigate.
My mistake; the individual sutras are all html at the site. Although, if one takes the trouble to copy them into Word or OpenOffice you can make a PDF.

The books are available in PDF & other formats when you go to Rulu's publisher site:

http://www.sutrasmantras.info/index.html

Return to “Sūtra Studies”