The Mahashri Sutra

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
SuryaMitra

The Mahashri Sutra

Post by SuryaMitra » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:02 pm

Hi, I have a question. There is a Mahashri Sutra, mentioning names of Mahashri. So my question is two-fold. First, who is Mahashri? Is it a Buddhist form of Lakshmi? Second, does anyone know the above-mentioned names of Mahashri in Sanskrit ? Thanx.

Aemilius

Re: The Mahashri Sutra

Post by Aemilius » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:42 am

I don't know the Mahashri sutra, but in the Sutra of Golden Light there is chapter devoted to the Goddess Shri, https://sutraofgoldenlight.net/2017/07/ ... ddess-sri/
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)

Aemilius

Post by Aemilius » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:39 am

Goddess Shri is known in japanese buddhism as Kisshoten https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kissh%C5%8Dten
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)

pemachophel

Post by pemachophel » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:26 pm

According to Lama Dawa Chodrak, Mahashri in the sutra you are referring to is Lakshmi.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

crazy-man

Post by crazy-man » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:08 pm

The Mahashri Sutra
In the Indian Language [Sanskrit]: Mahashri Sutra
In the Tibetan Language: Pälchhenmo’i Do [dpal chen mo’i mdo]
In the English Language: The Mahashri Sutra
HOMAGE TO ALL THE BUDDHAS AND BODHISATTVAS!
Thus have I heard: at one time, the Blessed One, the Transcendent and Accomplished Conqueror, was abiding in Sukhavati, the Land of Bliss.
Then, the Bodhisattva Mahasattva, the Noble Lord Avalokiteshvara, went to the place where the Blessed One was, and having gone there, he fully prostrated at the feet of the Blessed One, and circumambulating the Blessed One three times, he sat down on one side.
Then, the Blessed One gazed at Mahashri, and spoke the following words to the Noble Lord Avalokiteshvara:
“If any fully-ordained monk, fully-ordained nun, novice monk, novice nun, or anyone else should come to know, to keep, to read, to write out, or to have others write out the Twelve Names of Mahashri, then their poverty will be eliminated, and they will become rich. "
Then, all of the gathered assemblies prayed deeply, saying, “May it be so!”
Then, the Blessed One uttered the Twelve Names of Mahashri:
PEL-DEN-MA
PEL-TRI-MA
PAY-MAY TRENG-CHEN
NOR GYI DAG-MO
KAR-MO
DRAG-PA-CHHEN-MO
PAY-MAY-CHEN
JEY-PA-MO
ÖD-CHHEN-MO
ZAY-JIN-MA
RIN-PO-CHHÈ RAB-JIN-MO
PEL-CHHEN-MO

(In English)
She Who Is Endowed with Glory
She Who Is Enveloped in Splendor
Possessor of a Rosary of Lotuses
Sovereign Lady of Wealth
She Who Is Pure
She Who Is Greatly Renowned
Lotus Eye
She Who Is Efficacious
She of Great Light
She Who Gives Food
She Who Wholeheartedly Gives Precious Gems
She Who Is Greatly Resplendent
(The mantra)
SYĀDYATHEDANA/ JINI GRINI/ SARVA ARTHA SADHANI/
SHASHINA ALAGA SHIMANA/
NĀSHAYA SIDDHANATU MANTRA PADAI SVĀHĀ/
OM BIGUNI BARAMASU BHAGE SVĀHĀ

If anyone should recite this during the three times of day, then they will be victorious over all disharmonious circumstances. They will be endowed with excellent fortune. They will be endowed with not knowing the exhaustion of wealth.
Furthermore, everyone will perceive them as being like their children, will be delighted by them, and will act exactly in accordance with their bidding.
If one should always read this out-loud continuously, then even if Brahma commits wrathful actions, one will be unharmed, and moreover, one will come to serve under many Buddhas!
The Blessed One bestowed those words, and the Bodhisattva Mahasattva, the Noble Lord Avalokiteshvara rejoiced; he vividly praised what had been spoken by the Bhagavan, the Transcendent and Accomplished Conqueror.
THE MAHASHRI SUTRA IS COMPLETE
https://tibetanaltar.blogspot.com/2009/ ... sutra.html
Although some versions of this Sutra list the Sanskrit title as ‘Mahashri Sutra’, according to the Derge Kangyur version of this Sutra, the title in Sanskrit is the ‘Mahalakshmini Sutra’. Also, the goddess in this text (Pelchenmo, “She of Great Glory”) is almost definitely a Buddhist version of the Hindu goddess Lakshmi, so for these two reasons I have chosen to go with ‘Maha-Lakshmi’ in this translation. This is an updated and revised version of my previous translation of the same text, entitled ‘The Mahashri Sutra’
http://www.chinabuddhismencyclopedia.co ... shmi_Sutra

Return to “Sūtra Studies”