Page 1 of 1

Sutra of the secret Essential Method of Dhyana

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:17 am
by Matticus
Does anyone know a location of this Sutra? It's the translated name from Chinese or Sanskrit. I don't know the Original title of the Sutra. It was mentioned in the White Skeleton Visualization meditation segment of Bavo Lievens' book, "The Mind Experiment". He mentions that it contains more than 30 plus variations of this meditation. Any help finding a translation of this Sutra would be INCREDIBLY helpful!

Re: Sutra of the secret Essential Method of Dhyana

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:56 am
by Jnana
It's probably T 15 No. 613 Chan miyaofa jing. This text is only extant in Chinese, and AFAIK it hasn't been translated into English. See A Study of the Meditation Methods in the DESM and Other Early Chinese Texts by Ven. Dr. Yuanci.

* N.B. This paper first lists the text as T 15 No. 603, which is incorrect, but later corrects this to T 15 No. 613.

Re: Sutra of the secret Essential Method of Dhyana

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:11 pm
by pueraeternus
Jnana wrote:It's probably T 15 No. 613 Chan miyaofa jing. This text is only extant in Chinese, and AFAIK it hasn't been translated into English. See A Study of the Meditation Methods in the DESM and Other Early Chinese Texts by Ven. Dr. Yuanci.

* N.B. This paper first lists the text as T 15 No. 603, which is incorrect, but later corrects this to T 15 No. 613.
Excellent paper. Thanks Jnana!

Re: Sutra of the secret Essential Method of Dhyana

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:50 pm
by Leo Rivers
This is an amazing essay! Out of the blue from you - Thank you.
:guns:

It bridges the Pre-Mahayana Yogacara and the Yogacarabhumi of The Classic Third Turning of the Wheel.

I fixed the mis-quote in Adobe Acrobat if you want a corrected pdf.
:thanks:

Re: Sutra of the secret Essential Method of Dhyana

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:13 pm
by Matticus
Jnana wrote:It's probably T 15 No. 613 Chan miyaofa jing. This text is only extant in Chinese, and AFAIK it hasn't been translated into English. See A Study of the Meditation Methods in the DESM and Other Early Chinese Texts by Ven. Dr. Yuanci.

* N.B. This paper first lists the text as T 15 No. 603, which is incorrect, but later corrects this to T 15 No. 613.
Wow my friend, this is EXACTLY the sort of response I was hoping for! Well, maybe not EXACTLY, haha. I was crossing many fingers for info on an easy to obtain, English translation of the sutra. This is still more than wonderful, thank you! EDIT: Afterthought, does anyone know how to get ahold of a Chinese copy???

Re: Sutra of the secret Essential Method of Dhyana

Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:18 pm
by Astus
Here is the Chinese on CBETA: 禪祕要法經

Re: Sutra of the secret Essential Method of Dhyana

Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:11 pm
by Matticus
Astus wrote:Here is the Chinese on CBETA: 禪祕要法經
Wow, this is fantastic, thanks again you guys. I don't understand a word of it, but the first leg of the journey is complete! Time to start bothering people I know that can read Chinese..... Or learn it myelf??!! DUN DUN DUN

Re: Sutra of the secret Essential Method of Dhyana

Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:52 am
by Astus
Matticus wrote:Wow, this is fantastic, thanks again you guys. I don't understand a word of it, but the first leg of the journey is complete! Time to start bothering people I know that can read Chinese..... Or learn it myelf??!! DUN DUN DUN
Just make sure that those people can read classic Chinese with Buddhist terminology.