Balanced vegetarian diet

Discuss the application of the Dharma to situations of social, political, environmental and economic suffering and injustice.
Tenma

Re: Meat Substitutes?

Post by Tenma » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:59 am

Thanks! Though I was hoping for something more in boiling such as a replacement for a beef ribcage(not a hamburger!) for a nice broth with ginseng and black pepper.

*P.S. seeing how the French have arisen in another forum, any ideas for replacing garlic and onions? I'm afraid ALL my family's cuisines use garlic and IDK how to fix this(nor if there are any mantras to fix garlic).

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:43 am

Tenma wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:59 am
Thanks! Though I was hoping for something more in boiling such as a replacement for a beef ribcage(not a hamburger!) for a nice broth with ginseng and black pepper.

*P.S. seeing how the French have arisen in another forum, any ideas for replacing garlic and onions? I'm afraid ALL my family's cuisines use garlic and IDK how to fix this(nor if there are any mantras to fix garlic).
Flavoring veggies stocks is about using the right spices, pungent herbs etc. believe it or not, seaweed and soy sauce (Bragg's Aminos is my favorite) can go a long way to getting the umame flavor without meat. Boiling a meat substitute would just produce something truly ghastly.

I can't imagine trying flavor many vegetarian dishes without onions and garlic. Frankly, I think you will just need to lower your taste standards for that.

If it's simple enough cuisine, you could get away with soy sauce, a little rice wine vinegar, etc. There is a reason that onions are garlic are so ubiquitous in cooking.
There's no hoarding what has vanished,
No piling up for the future;
Those who have been born are standing
Like a seed upon a needle.

-Guhatthaka-suttaniddeso

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:52 am

Tenma wrote:

*P.S. seeing how the French have arisen in another forum, any ideas for replacing garlic and onions? I'm afraid ALL my family's cuisines use garlic and IDK how to fix this(nor if there are any mantras to fix garlic

If your tradition is one of the Chinese schools that eschew garlic and onions you could enquire whether they use asafoetida, usually labelled 'Hing' in Indian/Pakistani food shops. Some schools do not allow it, although it is not an allium but ground dried resin from an unrelated plant.
In the jar it smells like old socks, hence the asaFOETIDa..but when cooked it gives a garlic-like flavour to food.
I know nothing. This is not false modesty.

pemachophel

Re: Balanced vegetarian diet

Post by pemachophel » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:01 pm

Tenma, As a teenager, why do you think you need ginseng?
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:48 pm

Tenma wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:30 am
Thomas Amundsen wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:38 pm
Tenma wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:13 pm
Does anyone know a really good meat substitute? I'm afraid a majority of my household cuisines consist of meat(except for one vomit-producing dish of cold black bean soup even though it's a bright, horrid green in ice). I plan on going vegetarian once I start college, but so far, I would like to know a really good meat substitute(a certain method of cooking tofu rather than just the ones you use for traditional soups).
For example, anyone know what to substitute in chicken with for a really spicy chicken dish, substitute beef for a seaweed soup, substitute for flesh in broths, substitute pork with for spring rolls, and so on?
Aside from the obvious, tofu, some other greats are seitan, mushrooms, and wheat gluten. Seriously, try seitan if you've never had it before. It blew me away the first time I had it. Obviously this is a problem if you are Celiac. Depending on how you season it, it can substitute chicken, beef, or pork. Of course that's coming from a vegetarian, not sure if an omnivore would agree haha
How would you cook seitan? Or like any other meat(minus putting it in water for a long time to wash off blood).
I've never made it from scratch, only used premade seitan. I've used it in stir fries, and basically didn't take any special care in cooking it beyond how I'd cook tofu, or how you'd cook something like chicken. You basically just need to make sure it gets hot, and season your dish accordingly for whatever you're going for.

Oh, another good substitute is jackfruit, surprisingly. It has a texture that can work as a meat substitute, and doesn't have some of the health concerns of other meat substitutes. My girlfriend makes really delicious fried chicken wings with jackfruit.

Tenma

Post by Tenma » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:04 pm

pemachophel wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:01 pm
Tenma, As a teenager, why do you think you need ginseng?
In my culture, certain broths contain this(such as sange-tang)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samgye-tang
Alongside many others. Is there a problem?

SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:31 pm

The old meat/fish/poultry substitute conundrum... my first way around this was by eating eggs and cheese... but then i gave those up too... what i find is that if I prepare a dish that has protein, a good hearty veggie stock base, and some of the other essentials, the best way to get the same umami feeling that fat/meat/cheese has is to add spicy heat to it..

it all goes so much better if you give up alcohol, sugars, empty refined carbs (white flour, white rice, white potato, etc) ramp up your protein intake and only use grains it their "whole grain" state

If you shop around there are lots of substitute meat products on the market (such as Trader Joe's Vegan Tikka Masala, or Jackfruit Curry)
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam

SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:44 pm

Simon E. wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:52 am
Tenma wrote:

*P.S. seeing how the French have arisen in another forum, any ideas for replacing garlic and onions? I'm afraid ALL my family's cuisines use garlic and IDK how to fix this(nor if there are any mantras to fix garlic

If your tradition is one of the Chinese schools that eschew garlic and onions you could enquire whether they use asafoetida, usually labelled 'Hing' in Indian/Pakistani food shops. Some schools do not allow it, although it is not an allium but ground dried resin from an unrelated plant.
In the jar it smells like old socks, hence the asaFOETIDa..but when cooked it gives a garlic-like flavour to food.
Hearty soup stock ingredients: Porcini, wild mushrooms, onions, garlic, shallots, carrots, winter squash, ginger, Thai ginger (galangal root), soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, blackstrap molasses, beans, lentils, barley, farro, Kasha, list goes on forever

Hing (asafoetida) can replace SOME of the onion/garlic but limit it to one pinch per pot as it has powerful medicinal effects

DharmaN00b

Post by DharmaN00b » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:42 am

"The gum resin asafetida is used as a flavoring, food preservative, and fragrance. It is used as a folk remedy for a wide variety of purposes, including carminative, antispasmodic, expectorant, sedative diuretic, anthelminthic, aphrodisiac, and emmenagogue."

I bet simon e knows what all those words mean I don't. :thanks:
If you are drunk here is the submit post button. Submit post

amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:33 am

Thomas Amundsen wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:33 pm
I've got a very basic recipe that is cheap and takes about five minutes to prepare 4-5 servings.

1 cup red lentils
1 cup rice
1 parsnip
1 stalk celery
1 carrot
1/2 teaspoon rosemary
1/2 teaspoon thyme
2 pinches salt
6 cups water

1. Rinse rice
2. Chop vegetables
3. Combine and stir ingredients in rice cooker and turn on
4. When rice cooker finishes, the meal is prepared, and you can refrigerate the leftovers

You can make a lot of dishes like this in a rice cooker, just combine with some kind of legume. Split mung Dahl is best for minimizing gas.
What brand and size cooker do you use? I would think the rice would be done before the lentils.

DharmaN00b

Post by DharmaN00b » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:51 am

Squash, broccoli and sticky rice with sesame soy and lime dressing:

1 small squash
1 head broccoli
small knob of ginger
2 cloves of garlic
75 grams of jasmine rice
2 handfuls of cashews
1 tin of non solid coconut milk. ( 1 spare tin for noobs in case the mix gets too dry ) :twothumbsup:
soy sauce

Dressing:

2 tablespoons of sesame oil
2 tablespoons of soy sauce
1/2 a lime
fresh coriander

put the coconut milk, rice, squash, ginger, soy & garlic in a roasting tin. Cover with foil and pop in the oven at 170 non fan-190 fan assisted swanky oven. 20 minutes later take out the roasting tin and carefully remove the wrapping then add the broccoli (Add more coconut milk if the mix is getting too dry). Seal the tray a second time then pop in the oven.

Prepare your dressing which consists of sesame oil, soy sauce & lime. Chop some fresh coriander.

After another 15 minutes put in a tray of cashews to roast. After five minutes take out the cashews and the veggie roast. The consistency should be middle way if you know what I mean.

All being well assemble the veg, nuts and dressing. Bon appetite!

DharmaN00b

Post by DharmaN00b » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:12 pm

PLZ amend fan assisted @170 and non fan@190. :thanks:

SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:22 pm

amanitamusc wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:33 am
Thomas Amundsen wrote:
I've got a very basic recipe that is cheap and takes about five minutes to prepare 4-5 servings.

1 cup red lentils
1 cup rice
1 parsnip
1 stalk celery
1 carrot
1/2 teaspoon rosemary
1/2 teaspoon thyme
2 pinches salt
6 cups water

1. Rinse rice
2. Chop vegetables
4. When rice cooker finishes, the meal is prepared, and you can refrigerate the leftovers

You can make a lot of dishes like this in a rice cooker, just combine with some kind of legume. Split mung Dahl is best for minimizing gas.
What brand and size cooker do you use? I would think the rice would be done before the lentils.
peeled red lentils cook fast

SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:29 pm

Daily Burrito

Whole wheat burrito size tortilla - heat until flexible
hummus
refried beans (organic black beans best)
leftover rice (organic brown rice is best)
leftover lentils etc.
fresh salsa
Sriracha sauce

heat and serve

Sometimes I'm out of beans so i just use only rice & hummus, or vice versa. It's different everytime

DharmaN00b

Post by DharmaN00b » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:19 pm

You must have an excellent heart SunWuKong.

SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:21 pm

DharmaN00b wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:19 pm
You must have an excellent heart SunWuKong.
Heart disease runs in my family so thats why i eat like this. Tonight i made Thai black sticky sweet rice & wife doing something with a big kabocha squash

:smile:

SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:52 pm

YUMMY BLACK BEANS AND BLACK RICE VEGAN CHILI

We used to use this Turkey Chili recipe, but I replaced the meat with Black Japonica or Black Forbidden Rice:

Put rice on to steam, follow directions on package
Saute in olive oil:
1 onion, chopped fine - start cooking and add ingredients in this order as they cook:
1 red bell, chopped fine
3-6 garlic cloves peeled and sliced
2 15oz. cans of black beans (better if you cook your own beans)
equal amount of steamed black rice
1 15oz. can dice tomato
1 15oz. can tomato sauce
1 small can tomato paste
2 tablespoons chili powder (contains: ground chili pepper, oregano, garlic, cumin)
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
Adjust/tweak seasoning with maybe: cumin powder, coriander powder, or chipotle pepper powder, or paprika, or all of them, oregano, cocoa, salt, pepper, garlic powder, molasses, soy sauce, miso, mole concentrate

For vegan chili burrito, use vegan cheese substitute, favorite hot sauce, chopped cilantro, whole wheat tortillas
For vegetarian burrito, use yogurt or cheese, etc.

:buddha1:

DharmaN00b

Post by DharmaN00b » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:44 pm

Moroccan inspired sweet stew with harissa, raisins, tahini & sweet potato.

1 small sweet potato
1 small aubergine (eggplant)
1 sweet pepper (or bell pepper)
1 red onion
2 cloves garlic
1 can of chickpeas (or other bean variety)
1/2 can coconut milk
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of cayenne
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 tin chopped tomatoes
heaped teaspoon of ras el hanout (or homemade top drawer spice mix)
handful of raisins or dried apricots
2 teaspoon of harissa paste
heaped teaspoon of tahini.
(chopped fresh mint and crushed almonds)

chop the sweet potato and put in a pan to boil. slice the aubergine and place in a pre heated oven on 150-170 for 10-15 minutes.
Chop the onion, garlic and pepper.
Heat a deep sided large pan and add a good high heat oil. Drain the sweet potato and take out the aubergine when ready.
Add the onions, garlic and pepper to the pan and season with your salt.
After 2 minutes add the sweet potato, aubergine & add your spice mix. (add a splash of warm water if the mix is very dry and sticky.)
After another 2 minutes add the chopped tomatoes and chopped raisins.
Simmer and add the coconut milk, beans, harissa and tahini. Mix, stir and serve.

Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:11 am

amanitamusc wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:33 am
Thomas Amundsen wrote:

1 cup red lentils
1 cup rice
1 parsnip
1 stalk celery
1 carrot
1/2 teaspoon rosemary
1/2 teaspoon thyme
2 pinches salt
6 cups water

1. Rinse rice
2. Chop vegetables

It's... this kind? It's pretty large, holds about a gallon. My (Chinese) ex-girlfriend left it with me, so I don't know where she got it from.
IMG_20190318_210917.jpg
IMG_20190318_210917.jpg (169.62 KiB) Viewed 369 times

Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:12 am

Thomas Amundsen wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:48 pm
Oh, another good substitute is jackfruit, surprisingly. It has a texture that can work as a meat substitute, and doesn't have some of the health concerns of other meat substitutes.
Another good one is cauliflower. You'd be amazed what vegans can do with cauliflower.

Return to “Engaged Buddhism”