Our Anti-War President

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Nicholas Weeks

Our Anti-War President

Post by Nicholas Weeks » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:16 pm

Trump's policies do not fit the usual Republican mode. His hope that other nations handle (or not) their own conflicts is one of them.

https://americanmind.org/post/president ... dless-war/
Glorious one, creator of all goodness, Mañjuśrī, his glorious eminence!
Manjushri-namasamgiti

Sādhaka

Re: Our Anti-War President

Post by Sādhaka » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:03 pm

:popcorn:
The Bodhicittasopashika & The bsgrags pa skor gsum

/forum

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:30 pm

Yes, among his deeply peaceful acts has been support for the brutal Saudi-backed war in Yemen, selling the Saudis lots of weapons, and by and large killing even more civilians than Obama in his "War on Terror" related operations.

Blessed are the peacemakers, truly.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:23 pm

I suppose he has some vague resemblance to Neville Chamberlain.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:00 am

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Tenma

Post by Tenma » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:46 am

Nicholas Weeks wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:16 pm
Trump's policies do not fit the usual Republican mode. His hope that other nations handle (or not) their own conflicts is one of them.

https://americanmind.org/post/president ... dless-war/
I honestly don't understand this article at all. It's pretty garrulous and seeing its other articles, I have doubts about it being a legit source and just a complex utilization of fancy words.

Rick

Post by Rick » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:43 pm

Opinion piece from Antiwar.com via Truthdig: Democrats Are Becoming the Party of Permanent War.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:48 pm

Rick wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:43 pm
Opinion piece from Truthdig that some might find edifying: Democrats Are Becoming the Party of Permanent War.
This has always been true. The only time they have broken with imperialism and war is in the case of non-standard candidates, and times where it benefits them politically to claim an anti-war stance. Both parties are reprehensible and nauseating with regard to foreign policy, for a vaguely "left" person the only reason to prefer Democrats in my lifetime has been their stance on mainly domestic social issues.

Other than that they've been absolute hypocrites in terms of economic and foreign policy since at least the Clinton years, if not before.

That of course, in no way makes Trump an "anti war" candidate, and I have to confess I find the claim humorous.

The article is good though, and is more argument in favor of reform of the Democratic party, if that's even possible.

https://theintercept.com/2018/03/14/us- ... bia-yemen/

BTW, this is one of the ways that we support war in a very tangible way (including Trump), that no one would ever talk about, because it is so baked into our culture, into our economy etc.

And another link about The Great Peacemaker:

https://theintercept.com/2019/10/02/tru ... lties-war/
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:04 am

Rick wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:43 pm
Opinion piece from Antiwar.com via Truthdig: Democrats Are Becoming the Party of Permanent War.
This lefty retired Army Major puts nation before politics, unlike so many other leftists.
However, today, these attacks on me—and many others—as neo-Trumpsters or “Russian assets,” has a flavor all its own. A Republican, at least in name, is president. Liberals hate him with even more ferocity than Baby Bush. Reflexive anti-Trumpism—though often warranted—is now so instinctual and unthinking that it borders on anti-intellectual hysteria. So yes, MSNBC liberals certainly hate Trump … but not his wars. This is curious, unique and unlike the Bush-era opposition. Why? I’d submit that the variable is Trump himself.
My emphasis added...
Glorious one, creator of all goodness, Mañjuśrī, his glorious eminence!
Manjushri-namasamgiti

Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:55 am

“Reflexive anti-Trumpism—though often warranted—is now so instinctual and unthinking that it borders on anti-intellectual hysteria.”

This^.

I’m no trump fan, for various reasons; reasons which are different than the knee-jerk reactions of conventional cookie-cutter leftists.

/forum

PeterC

Post by PeterC » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:33 am

Ok, here’s the supposedly anti-war “president” secretly shipping arms to the Saudis in defiance of congress:

https://edition-m.cnn.com/2019/11/05/mi ... index.html

Most countries like Yemen who have been the ‘recipients’ of US foreign policy know exactly how amoral, destructive and cruel it is. Go ask most of the Middle East, Latin America and large parts of Asia. The current occupant of the White House is continuing that proud tradition.

Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:28 am

Yea f*ck saudi government & israel government.

All the world’s a stage I suppose though; like 46 verses (not 33 like I’d said at first) in & 46 verses out, of a king james bible chapter like Shakes-Spear.

/forum

Return to “Lounge”