European refugee crisis

Discuss the application of the Dharma to situations of social, political, environmental and economic suffering and injustice.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Re: European refugee crisis

Post by Kim O'Hara » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:11 am

gloriasteinem wrote:
Saoshun wrote:This is planned attack on europe, this is what is called Hijra in Islam. ...
I agree with you.
Why?
After reading the corrections and comments others have already offered in response to Saoshun's unfounded and unreferenced outburst (see http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... 20#p300765 and following posts), I don't think anyone can reasonably say "I agree" without providing solid reasons.

:namaste:
Kim

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:20 am

AlexanderS wrote:Im pretty sure people who migrate to a country to work count as immigrants. Wiki definition

"Immigration is the movement of people into a destination country to which they are not native or do not possess its citizenship in order to settle or reside there, especially as permanent residents or naturalized citizens, or to take-up employment as a migrant worker or temporarily as a foreign worker."
For those who came in late, Alexander is replying to http://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f= ... 00#p302736 and the next couple of posts.
Alex,
You have quoted a definition of "immigration", not "immigrant" and then failed to consider the elements of the definition which do not apply - I have bolded them for your attention.
More broadly, if you keep on posting arguments as weak and trivial as this while ignoring substantive points of the discussion, you're not going to garner much respect or many friends.

:thinking:
Kim

AlexanderS

Post by AlexanderS » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:16 am

Kim O'Hara wrote:
AlexanderS wrote:Im pretty sure people who migrate to a country to work count as immigrants. Wiki definition

"Immigration is the movement of people into a destination country to which they are not native or do not possess its citizenship in order to settle or reside there, especially as permanent residents or naturalized citizens, or to take-up employment as a migrant worker or temporarily as a foreign worker."
For those who came in late, Alexander is replying to http://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f= ... 00#p302736 and the next couple of posts.
Alex,
You have quoted a definition of "immigration", not "immigrant" and then failed to consider the elements of the definition which do not apply - I have bolded them for your attention.
More broadly, if you keep on posting arguments as weak and trivial as this while ignoring substantive points of the discussion, you're not going to garner much respect or many friends.

:thinking:
Kim
There is no reason to get preachy and personal Kim. Have you not considered the possibility that I'm simply not very bright? It's probably true that countries like the US and Australia which are built on immigration are positive about open borders, but I doubt as many us citizens would quite as welcoming if the current refugees swarming into Europe were headed to the US instead.. I'm sure there would be a large majority of republican rednecks who'd view it as the inevitable muslim invasion.

joy&peace

Post by joy&peace » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:46 pm

I'm always the one who comes in late, I don't mind saying. ;)

So, thank you & is good to catch up - however as I'm guessing that's settled, would like to just mention a couple things. . .

Another linguistic difference to note is - the two words immigrant and emigrant. . the latter refers to those who are leaving, and the former refers to those who are coming in. .

Although when I was a child and learned of it I had the funny thought - well, the emigrants must be going to somewhere, so then they would be immigrants. :)

hehe

And - about the whole question of terminology - I suppose another part of it is that an emigrant generally planned on their leaving, whereas the current refugee situation is more of life simply throwing such circumstances their way. . .

so I thought to mention that but I feel it's slightly off-topic in any case, since it's just linguistics and terminology. . . although of course there's feelings involved & so forth. . .

but - with a gentle back to topic emoticon :focus:

So I did have something else important to share. . . in the Syrian refugee crisis, my best friend posted something, well a few things - but this one was a biggie to me. . .

50% of the refugees are children.

At least, that's from the Syrian part of it - I wish I could find the picture, or the link, am unable to at the moment - maybe soon.

Peace.
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha

joy&peace

Post by joy&peace » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:48 pm

joy&peace

Post by joy&peace » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:51 pm

Well, here is his journal - from this month (the above article from May).

I like the site better too, it seems less gaudy.

http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2015/09/h ... lives.html

Peace.

joy&peace

Post by joy&peace » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:59 pm

Hey, I found it.

By a google search for the image, and then going from the image to the page.

(then I lost this post and had to re-type it. . ) but that's okay

'What you need to know about the Syria crisis.'

http://www.mercycorps.org/articles/turk ... ria-crisis

(this article from early Sep.)

I would no think children are a threat..

'Where children are, there is a golden age.' - Novalis

Return to “Engaged Buddhism”