What is wrong with feminists these days?

Discuss the application of the Dharma to situations of social, political, environmental and economic suffering and injustice.
Jesse

What is wrong with feminists these days?

Post by Jesse » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:39 am

Here's a thread on reddits /feminism.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Feminism/comme ... rged_with/

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2015/12 ... not-guilty

They seem to think it's ok to abort a baby after the child has developed enough to feel pain/consciousness, etc. How frak up do you have to be to put your perceived 'rights' above the life of another person? How selfish do you need to be? I'm actually amazed and disgusted.

If you click on the second link (motherjones.com) and you'll find comments like these:
sandra350 Guest • 2 days ago

NONE of that is relevant. NONE of it. It is a legal constitutional procedure, protected by law. How it's done or in which week it's done is IRRELEVANT.
Tyrian Tentabulge Guest • 2 days ago

>> If the mother has not yet gone in to labor then she should still be able to abort the child because its still inside of her?

If she does it herself? Yes. Absolutely yes. She has that right. If there is something inside her that she wants out, she can remove it in any way she sees fit. Period.
Are these people serious? Most feminists seem to love accusing men of being hostile, violent, etc.. but some of the thing's these feminists say/claim/believe makes my skin crawl. Total hypocrisy, self interest and victim mentality. What the hell happened to feminism?
The cost of a thing is the amount of what I call life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run.
-Henry David Thoreau

smcj

Re: What is wrong with feminists these days?

Post by smcj » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:46 am

All I will say is that as someone who believes is reincarnation, I know I hope it doesn't happen to me like that next time.
I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against Lama abuse.

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:21 am

Feminists and Pro-Abortionist's terrify me. They put so much effort into pointing out how violent, angry and terrible men are, and all the while ignoring just how insane they have become.

Dismissing the value of a human life just to justify your perceived 'right' to have an abortion is truly saddening. Just because the way nature works requires a baby to develop inside of the female body, does not give the female a right to murder the child after the point it has developed consciousness, thoughts and feelings.

I'm all for aborting children BEFORE they have developed in any significant capacity. (IF the child will not be cared for and loved or in cases of rape, etc.)

This does not give women a right to kill children who HAVE developed. The very notion that a life growing inside you is insignificant when compared with your personal choices shows such a callous disregard for life, and humanity that I question these people's sanity.

It's pure vanity that drives people to these opinions. It's the same type of blind selfishness that allows mass murders to kill without remorse. Yet they somehow feel entitled to this behavior, and this lack of moral conduct.

I'm almost at a lack of words for how disgusted I am with these people nowadays, feminism used to be something good, a noble cause.. now it's just sickening self entitlement, a justification to be self absorbed, a method to play the victim in order to get attention, and to be treated better than others.

Women really have become just like men, or maybe I should say equally repulsive. Good job.
The cost of a thing is the amount of what I call life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run.
-Henry David Thoreau

rory

Post by rory » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:39 am

I agree this is too horrible for words and must end. Happily this never occurs among my lesbian friends; pregnancies are always planned and babies greatly desired.

So obviously the answer is to implant all males with birth control or Gov't funded vasectomies. At adolescence a couple of test tubes of sperm can be saved by their physician and thus only planned births will happen :smile:
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:16 am

“Fetuses are not babies. Women are not incubators. Abortion is not murder,” shouted Adrienne Luendo of New York, quoting the brochure the group was handing out.

“When a woman attempts a coat hanger abortion, it’s the system that’s guilty of murder, not her,” she told The Daily News Journal.
“This is a deep assault, an escalation in the war on women.”
Sorry, I just had to post this. I'm still stupefied by the things these people believe. Women are not incubators? I would figure most women would consider the ability to have children a gift. I was arguing with these people earlier, they make it sound like children are parasites leeching off their bodies, in fact one of them confirmed they believe this.
-Henry David Thoreau

dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:23 pm

This might be a good time to actually engage some Buddhism and see the situation for what it is.

Of course there are always going to be a small number of extreme individuals within any group, just as there are within Buddhism. Who would condemn all Buddhists because of the misguided opinions of an outspoken few?

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:34 pm

Male victimhood....yawn.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:19 pm

Malcolm wrote:Male victimhood....yawn.
Same thing I think every-time I read feminist rants. It's all nothing but hypocrisy.
-Henry David Thoreau

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:25 pm

Jesse wrote:
Same thing I think every-time I read feminist rants.
The reality is that women do deal with discrimination all the time. They make 30 percent less than men in the same exact jobs, on average; they are discriminated against still in so many areas of society. Anyone who does not think we do not live in a patriarchal society where women are severely disadvantaged at every turn needs to wake up.

Those men who find themselves threatened by feminism need to have their heads examined.
It's all nothing but hypocrisy.
This kind of totalizing dismissal is exactly the problem women face everyday.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:30 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Jesse wrote:
Same thing I think every-time I read feminist rants.
The reality is that women do deal with discrimination all the time. They make 30 percent less than men in the same exact jobs, on average; they are discriminated against still in so many areas of society. Anyone who does not think we do not live in a patriarchal society where women are severely disadvantaged at every turn needs to wake up.

Those men who find themselves threatened by feminism need to have their heads examined.
Sorry, you're full of it, and so are these women. Women are pretty damned equal. Unless they live in a middle eastern country. Apparently you don't live in the modern world. I could care less about Capitalist equality, no one is equal in capitalism. That's the entire point.

Common complaints are 'white male privilege' don't make me laugh. As if every single white male is somehow automatically treated better then women. In fact women have it much easier than men in many areas. Women in general are treated better than men.

Men who feel the need to defend the honor of uptight, spoiled egocentric women need to have their heads examined, honesty.
I'm not threatened by feminism. Hypocrisy, idiocy and entitlement piss me off. I have no problem pointing it out.
Last edited by Jesse on Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Henry David Thoreau

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:36 pm

Jesse wrote:
Same thing I think every-time I read feminist rants. It's all nothing but hypocrisy.
Most anti-feminism/men right's etc. is far more cowardly, IMO. Abortion is in contradiction to Dharma, however, illegality of abortion does not mean abortion does not happen, and it makes it more dangerous when it does. I do agree that the standard liberal argument about abortion leaves something to be desired, but the "other side" in the abortion makes even less sense, since they aren't even in favor of the thing that decreases incidence of abortion - widespread sex education and birth control.

Anyway, there are many different strains of feminism, and frankly this thread is transparent, it reeks both of men who feel threatened by women, and don't actually know what they are talking about regarding feminism in the first place.

Unsurprising, since the level of many conversations on DW these days seems to read like an angry fifth grader, with little or no connection to Dharma.

The way you feel about feminism is the way I feel about threads like this, no redeeming value whatsoever. Maybe some people will give you leeway, personally I think you need to grow the frak up and learn to discuss things like an adult instead of posting a tantrum every time something in the world makes you mad.
Last edited by Johnny Dangerous on Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"it must be coming from the mouthy mastermind of raunchy rapper, Johnny Dangerous”

-Jeff H.

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:38 pm

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Jesse wrote:
Most anti-feminism/men right's etc. is far more cowardly, IMO. Abortion is in contradiction to Dharma, however, illegality of abortion does not mean abortion does not happen, and it makes it more dangerous when it does. I do agree that the standard liberal argument about abortion leaves something to be desired, but the "other side" in the abortion makes even less sense, since they aren't even in favor of the thing that decreases incidence of abortion - widespread sex education and birth control.

Anyway, there are many different strains of feminism, and frankly this thread is transparent, it reeks both of men who feel threatened by women, and don't actually know what they are talking about regarding feminism in the first place.

Unsurprising, since the level of many conversations on DW these days seems to read like an angry fifth grader, with little or no connection to Dharma.

The way you feel about feminism is the way I feel about threads like this, no redeeming value whatsoever.
Same way I feel about you in general.

Hilarious, It's perfectly fine for women to be self-interested, but not for men. Talk about generalizations. All men have equal rights. All men are violent, anti-feminist, misogynists, racists, rapists, etc.
Last edited by Jesse on Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Henry David Thoreau

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:40 pm

Jesse wrote:
Ah man, I'm devastated.

Maybe you should just grow up?
"it must be coming from the mouthy mastermind of raunchy rapper, Johnny Dangerous”

-Jeff H.

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:41 pm

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Jesse wrote:
Ah man, I'm devastated.

Right back at you. No body cares how you feel about others, nor their topics.
-Henry David Thoreau

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:45 pm

Jesse wrote:
Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Jesse wrote:
Ah man, I'm devastated.

Right back at you. No body cares how you feel about others, nor their topics.
I'm sure everyone is deeply concerned with how you feel about feminism though, knowing your obvious level of expertise on the subject.

-Jeff H.

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:47 pm

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
I'm sure everyone is deeply concerned with how you feel about feminism though, knowing your obvious level of expertise on the subject.
Apparently you are. Enough to be offended by my post and make you respond to me. In fact to insult me. People who aren't concerned move on. You really are clueless.
-Henry David Thoreau

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:50 pm

Jesse wrote:
Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Apparently you are. Enough to be offended by my post and make you respond to me. In fact to insult me. People who aren't concerned move on. You really are clueless.

I'm just tired of seeing you vomit your anger all over the forum every time you're upset. It's one thing to start an actual conversation about feminism and it's issues, but half the time you just post emotional outbursts about the latest thing that upsets you. Sorry, it seems silly to me. I use the foe list liberally, and I'll go back to it now.

-Jeff H.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:57 pm

Jesse wrote:
Sorry, you're full of it, and so are these women. Women are pretty damned equal.
Educate yourself:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ariel-smi ... 64348.html

Common complaints are 'white male privilege' don't make me laugh. As if every single white male is somehow automatically treated better then women. In fact women have it much easier than men in many areas. Women in general are treated better than men.
Seriously, what planet do you live on? Generally speaking, white men have it easy in this country. I am one.
Men who feel the need to defend the honor of uptight, spoiled egocentric women need to have their heads examined, honesty.
This a pretty sexist remark, which itself is telling. I don't need to defend the "honor" of any women, as if somehow we are discussing someone's chastity which needs defending. No, I am pointing out the bare fact that women have not achieved parity in our society, not by a long shot.

I'm not threatened by feminism. Hypocrisy, idiocy and entitlement piss me off. I have no problem pointing it out.
I suppose you are against affirmative action as well.
Last edited by Malcolm on Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:59 pm

Jesse wrote:All men are violent, anti-feminist, misogynists, racists, rapists, etc.
No, not all, just the ones that are.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Ayu
Former staff member

Post by Ayu » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:18 pm

I removed the heaviest insulting speech and the quoting posts and comments to this insulting speech.
Please respect eachother, yourself, women and men. Please come back to a factual way of communication. Otherwise this thread cannot stay unlocked.
I have decided to stick with love.
Hate is too great a burden to bear.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. -

Return to “Engaged Buddhism”