Jesse wrote:1. Female privilege is being able to walk down the street at night without people crossing the street because they’re automatically afraid of you.
Really, not being regarded as a threat is a privilege? Since when?
2. Female privilege is being able to approach someone and ask them out without being labeled “creepy.”
Ummmm, I have been hit on by some creepy women. Nope.
3. Female privilege is being able to get drunk and have sex without being considered a rapist. Female privilege is being able to engage in the same action as another person but be considered the innocent party by default.
When someone gets drunk and forces his penis into someone's mouth, rectum, or vagina, this is rightly considered rape, whether the women involved is drunk or not.
4. Female privilege is being able to turn on the TV and see yourself represented in a positive way. Female privilege is shows like King of Queens and Everybody Loves Raymond where women are portrayed as attractive, competent people while men are shown as ugly, lazy slobs.
I think you are leaving out a lot of other stereotypes of women. Anyway, nothing you have brought up illustrates female privilege.
5. Female privilege is the idea that women and children should be the first rescued from any sort of emergency situation. Female privilege is saving yourself before you save others and not being viewed as a monster.
So now you are including children as part of female privilege? Anyway, this does not fly. The women and children who get rescued first are the women and children of white men, always, in every emergency.
6. Female privilege is being able to decide not to have a child.
Yes, I agree, their body, their privilege.
7. Female privilege is not having to support a child financially for 18 years when you didn’t want to have it in the first place.
Huh? What do you mean?
8. Female privilege is never being told to “take it like a man” or “man up.”
9. Female privilege is knowing that people would take it as a gravely serious issue if someone raped you. Female privilege is being able to laugh at a “prison rape” joke.
I see, so if someone commits a crime against you, and this is taken seriously, this is a "privilege," rather than a right to be free from assault?
10. Female privilege is being able to divorce your spouse when your marriage is no longer working because you know you will most likely be granted custody of your children.
You do understand that when men and women divorce, it used to be the case that the standard of living for divorced women with children declines 37% while a man's improved. This has changed in the last decade or so because of improvements in pay equity. These days both men and women can expect a decrease of about 25% in standard of living following a divorce. Some privilege.
11. Female privilege is being able to call the police in a domestic dispute knowing they will take your side. Female privilege is not having your gender work against where police are involved.
This is not a privilege, this based on the fact that men beat women and children. It is a preventative measure which prevents a great number of assaults and murders. So, not a privilege.
12. Female privilege is being able to be caring or empathetic without people being surprised.
Dude, you are really reaching on this one.
13. Female privilege is not having to take your career seriously because you can depend on marrying someone who makes more money than you do. Female privilege is being able to be a “stay at home mom” and not seem like a loser.
This is so wrong on so many levels. This is not reflected in today's economy on any level.
14. Female privilege is being able to cry your way out of a speeding ticket.
Ummm, no, this is a result of male sexism.
15. Female privilege is being favored by teachers in elementary, middle and high school. Female privilege is graduating high school more often, being accepted to more colleges, and generally being encouraged and supported along the way.
No, this is really nonsense.
16. Female privilege being able to have an opinion without someone tell you you’re just Misogynist .”
No, they just get, "Why are you being such a bitch?"
17. Female privilege is being able to talk about sexism without appearing self-serving.
No, this is a result of the fact that there is sexism against women, it is pervasive, and it is damaging to the people who experience it and perpetrate it, both.
18. Female privilege is arrogantly believing that sexism only applies to women.
You have yet to demonstrate any so called female privilege at all. A women's right to her own body is a right, not a privilege. Since the legal definition of life begins in the second trimester, in this country women have the right to choose. I support the right to choose, but not abortion itself.