How do you feel about Buddhists getting involved in politics?

Discuss the application of the Dharma to situations of social, political, environmental and economic suffering and injustice.

0 to 9, with 9 being the most, how supportive are you of Buddhist communities engaging in politics?

22%
8%
No votes
1%
3%
10%
1%
No votes
3%
51%

Total votes: 72

DGA
Former staff member

Re: How do you feel about Buddhists getting involved in politics?

Post by DGA » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:03 pm

LuisR wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:00 pm
Is speaking out against racism a political act?
I think so. In some contexts, it involves real risk to take a stand against racism. Example:

https://www.cnn.com/2017/08/13/us/charl ... index.html

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:44 pm

LuisR wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:00 pm
Is speaking out against racism a political act?
Yes. It doesn't make it wrong or a bad thing to do; actually it's a good thing to do, but it is political.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:47 pm

It's interesting that the majority of respondents answered number 9. I wonder if there would be more lower numbers chosen by Theravadins (who don't take bodhisattva vows).

Bundokji

Post by Bundokji » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:28 am

DNS wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:47 pm
It's interesting that the majority of respondents answered number 9. I wonder if there would be more lower numbers chosen by Theravadins (who don't take bodhisattva vows).
I am almost certain that less Theravadins would vote for number 9. There seem to be a link between certain paths and personality types. If you are conservative, pessimist and analytical (introvert), you are more likely to find Theravada appealing, and vice versa. And this in my opinion affect our tendency on whether to engage actively in politics or not.
The cleverest defenders of faith are its greatest enemies: for their subtleties engender doubt and stimulate the mind. -- Will Durant

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:12 am

Bundokji wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:28 am
DNS wrote:
I am almost certain that less Theravadins would vote for number 9. There seem to be a link between certain paths and personality types. If you are conservative, pessimist and analytical (introvert), you are more likely to find Theravada appealing, and vice versa. And this in my opinion affect our tendency on whether to engage actively in politics or not.
Bodhisattva vows or no bodhisattva vows, political engagement can be a straightforward engagement with compassionate action in society.
Why not ask on DWT and see the reality rather than perpetuating a stereotype, David?

:coffee:
Kim

amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:07 am

It claims to be Buddhist but its actions and non actions tell a different story.
It was awarded the nobel no tell peace prize.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-45351000
What an evil bitch.

Bundokji

Post by Bundokji » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:22 am

Kim O'Hara wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:12 am
Bundokji wrote:
DNS wrote:
Bodhisattva vows or no bodhisattva vows, political engagement can be a straightforward engagement with compassionate action in society.
Why not ask on DWT and see the reality rather than perpetuating a stereotype, David?

Kim
Thanks Kim,

Politics as the art of the possible is practiced by each of us both internally and with our immediate circles on a daily basis. We negotiate reality all the time.

Politics in the context of this thread, however, seems to relate to issues of public interest. These issues have been portrayed/presented to us as important, and their importance and/or relevance to our everyday life have not been decided by us, but by those who selected them and channeled/conveyed them to us.

So, the OP made a distinction between public issues and more personal ones, and the involvement in what is considered as "public" became a measure of compassion, when in fact, it can be driven by other motives.
The cleverest defenders of faith are its greatest enemies: for their subtleties engender doubt and stimulate the mind. -- Will Durant

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:07 am

There is no dichotomy between public and private. Each sphere informs the other mutually.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:27 am

amanitamusc wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:07 am
It claims to be Buddhist but its actions and non actions tell a different story.
It was awarded the nobel no tell peace prize.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-45351000
What an evil bitch.
Time for more house arrest?
March 7, 2018 - The US Holocaust Museum announces it is rescinding the Elie Weisel Award granted to Suu Kyi in 2012 because of her failure to intervene in the humanitarian crisis occurring in Myanmar's Rakhine State.

Bundokji

Post by Bundokji » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:57 am

Grigoris wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:07 am
There is no dichotomy between public and private. Each sphere informs the other mutually.
The perception is different though. How do you explain for example, when someone who condemns racism day and night but does not help a family member in need (assuming that he/she can make a difference)?

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:39 am

Bundokji wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:57 am
Grigoris wrote:
The perception is different though. How do you explain for example, when someone who condemns racism day and night but does not help a family member in need (assuming that he/she can make a difference)?
How do you explain that Hitler loved his dogs and treated them like humans, but gassed the children of Jews to death?

Attachment and aversion on the basis of ignorance.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."

Bundokji

Post by Bundokji » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:52 am

Grigoris wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:39 am
Bundokji wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:57 am
Grigoris wrote:
How do you explain that Hitler loved his dogs and treated them like humans but gassed the children of Jews to death?

Attachment and aversion on the basis of ignorance.
Thank you :namaste:

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:04 pm

Bundokji wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:22 am
Kim O'Hara wrote:
Bundokji wrote:

Kim
Thanks Kim,

Politics as the art of the possible is practiced by each of us both internally and with our immediate circles on a daily basis. We negotiate reality all the time.

Politics in the context of this thread, however, seems to relate to issues of public interest. These issues have been portrayed/presented to us as important, and their importance and/or relevance to our everyday life have not been decided by us, but by those who selected them and channeled/conveyed them to us.

So, the OP made a distinction between public issues and more personal ones, and the involvement in what is considered as "public" became a measure of compassion, when in fact, it can be driven by other motives.
Like Greg, I don't think the distinction between "public" and "private" should be particularly important to us as Buddhists, or as moral/ethical people of any religion. Sila should be maintained in all areas of our lives, as much as possible. Right Speech knows no boundaries. Right Livelihood may suggest that we shouldn't become politicians :tongue: but it doesn't mean we shouldn't speak out against political decisions.

:namaste:
Kim

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:27 pm

Kim O'Hara wrote:
Politics is verboten over at DWT now. It has been moved to DWE. For me, personally, I have no problem discussing politics, engaging in politics and like Mahayanists, I see it as an opportunity for compassionate action and a further place to do the practice.

Grigoris
Global Moderator

Post by Grigoris » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:25 pm

DNS wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:27 pm
Politics is verboten over at DWT now.
Certain types of political discussion are verboten...

It is ridiculous to believe that one can seperate the personal and the political.

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:34 pm

DNS wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:27 pm
Kim O'Hara wrote:
Politics is verboten over at DWT now. ...
Ah, but talking about Buddhists' engagement with politics is not talking about politics...

:spy:
Kim

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:20 pm

May be of interest to those following along here:

Qualities of a Dharmaraja
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

I think each human being has things to find out in his own life that are inescapable. They’ll find them out the easy way or the hard way, or whatever.
-Jerry Garcia

The Cicada

Post by The Cicada » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:08 am

Grigoris wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:51 am
Depends on the politics.
I feel that this is an absolute necessity... However, those Buddhists whose politics I disagree with should abide in emptiness and maintain a noble silence. Most important is that all Buddhists respect the sovereigns of their own respective nations as well as foreign nations—so long as those sovereigns are also aligned with the correct politics I subscribe to and not the incorrect politics of the poor, deluded, faux-Buddhist tirthikas stumbling about the world in darkness and hopelessly lost in the thickets of their ontological confusion and whose entire lives are lived in vain. I think this is reasonable.

Peace to everyone. Trump 2020.

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:52 am

smh.

shooting fish in a barrel.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

I think each human being has things to find out in his own life that are inescapable. They’ll find them out the easy way or the hard way, or whatever.
-Jerry Garcia

The Cicada

Post by The Cicada » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:54 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:52 am
smh.

shooting fish in a barrel.
IMVHO

Return to “Engaged Buddhism”