Bodhi Day Fish Release 8th Dec

Discuss the application of the Dharma to situations of social, political, environmental and economic suffering and injustice.
Losal Samten

Bodhi Day Fish Release 8th Dec

Post by Losal Samten »

The fish will be released into environments where they will be able to live undisturbed, such as ponds and lakes where fishing is prohibited. The fish will be blessed with mantras and given myong grol (liberation through tasting), precious substances that give them a good cause for higher future rebirth.

It is customary to save a number of animals equal to your age or to the age of the person you are dedicating their release for. So for example a 25 year old would save 25 animals, or if you save fish for a 80 year old you would buy 80 fish. However you can choose to save any number of animals you want. Since a human being can commit no greater negative action than taking the life of another living being, by implication, there is no greater source for accumulating merit than saving lives.

£1 = 1 Fish

Donate:
http://www.shangshunguk.org/8th-decembe ... h-release/
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།
diamind

Re: Bodhi Day Fish Release 8th Dec

Post by diamind »

I hate to sound negative but I believe a fish release in Nepal would consist of fishman overfishing the area on this day catching fish specifically for "fish release". I've been to Nepal and I've seen people carry around caged animals in the market for "liberation" as a business. I can't see why this would be any different.
To be honest I don't think your actually saving a fish from the dinner the plate.

sarva mangalam
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

Ocean Trash: 5.25 Trillion Pieces and Counting
https://news.nationalgeographic.com/new ... ne-debris/
If you can do something to this unimaginable mass of debris in the ocean, it is certainly "saving lives" in a direct manner
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
diamind

Post by diamind »

Aemilius wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:50 am Ocean Trash: 5.25 Trillion Pieces and Counting
https://news.nationalgeographic.com/new ... ne-debris/
If you can do something to this unimaginable mass of debris in the ocean, it is certainly "saving lives" in a direct manner
Humans :roll: pathetic
ItsRaining

Post by ItsRaining »

diamind wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:52 am I hate to sound negative but I believe a fish release in Nepal would consist of fishman overfishing the area on this day catching fish specifically for "fish release". I've been to Nepal and I've seen people carry around caged animals in the market for "liberation" as a business. I can't see why this would be any different.
To be honest I don't think your actually saving a fish from the dinner the plate.

sarva mangalam
Depends on how you get them, quite a lot of people just buy a lot of fish without stating the purpose from fishermen or vendors.
Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

diamind wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:52 am I hate to sound negative but I believe a fish release in Nepal would consist of fishman overfishing the area on this day catching fish specifically for "fish release". I've been to Nepal and I've seen people carry around caged animals in the market for "liberation" as a business. I can't see why this would be any different.

sarva mangalam
Irrelevant since the fish are given myong grol, and thus their otherwise samsaric lives are made meaningful.
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

It is not irrelevant. If a person is catching fish with the intention of selling them for naive and faithfull for "procuring merit". Karma is intention and what is intended.
You must ask Poseidon, or an other God of the Sea, and ask what he thinks, whether the fish are benefited or not?
svaha
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Releasing to ponds and lakes as opposed to rivers and sea........

I'd say they were no safer since other fish and birds prey on them, and plenty of humans ignore fishing restrictions.
If not suited to a lake or pond habitat, they may actually be killed in the process.
It does make it easier to catch them to go through the same process again, though, and I suspect lake and pond fish are very suitable for this reason.

I wonder how many of the beings 'released' are simply caught again and become a nice little income generator. Release birds, net them, release birds, net them.....

You could, without cost, bless the sentient beings in the markets which are about to be sold and killed. I assume the '6 Spaces' mantra would serve for this for Shang Shung practitioners?
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Losal Samten wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:11 am The fish will be released into environments where they will be able to live undisturbed, such as ponds and lakes where fishing is prohibited. The fish will be blessed with mantras and given myong grol (liberation through tasting), precious substances that give them a good cause for higher future rebirth.

It is customary to save a number of animals equal to your age or to the age of the person you are dedicating their release for. So for example a 25 year old would save 25 animals, or if you save fish for a 80 year old you would buy 80 fish. However you can choose to save any number of animals you want. Since a human being can commit no greater negative action than taking the life of another living being, by implication, there is no greater source for accumulating merit than saving lives.

£1 = 1 Fish

Donate:
The evidence suggests that these kinds of activities do more harm than good.
But they presumably carry a feel-good factor for those who participate.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

svaha
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Simon E. wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:10 pm
Losal Samten wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:11 am The fish will be released into environments where they will be able to live undisturbed, such as ponds and lakes where fishing is prohibited. The fish will be blessed with mantras and given myong grol (liberation through tasting), precious substances that give them a good cause for higher future rebirth.

£1 = 1 Fish

Donate:
The evidence suggests that these kinds of activities do more harm than good.
But they presumably carry a feel-good factor for those who participate.
Citations please.
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

There is for example this: https://www.buddhistdoor.net/news/the-u ... fe-release
and https://www.buddhistdoor.net/features/r ... fe-release
more links at the bottom of these articles
svaha
ItsRaining

Post by ItsRaining »

Aemilius wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:11 am There is for example this: https://www.buddhistdoor.net/news/the-u ... fe-release
and https://www.buddhistdoor.net/features/r ... fe-release
more links at the bottom of these articles
It really depends on how it's done. It's pretty well-known doing this without thinking it through is a bad idea. Some groups research the area they release the animals and how to procure it. I remember a year or two back where monks bought a lot of commercial lobsters and released them in the Prince (? Something) Island where lobsters are native to the environment and won't cause damage.
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

If you read these articles, you will find that the case seems to be that there is a thriving business behind the "release of life". I.e. that the animals are caught for the purpose of selling them to the ignorant, naive and/or hypocrite buddhists searching for "merit". If the animals are caught in the first place because of the people looking for merit, there can't be much merit in it.

On the other hand you could start cleaning up the ocean of the millions of tons of plastic trash floating or sunk there, which would be beneficial to birds, turtles and other life forms. And you could prevent trash and carbage from being thrown into the ocean any further. That would certainly amount to some merit.
svaha

Return to “Engaged Buddhism”