Politics and Toxicity

Discuss the application of the Dharma to situations of social, political, environmental and economic suffering and injustice.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: Politics and Toxicity

Post by Queequeg »

Dan74 wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:16 am Ok.. it seems we talked past each other... no aggression was intended, passive or otherwise.. also no interest in fighting here or moral high ground.. i am sorry if that's how I came across..
No you misunderstood my point and responded by drawing conclusions about me. You make a point about not judging and there you go.

LOL
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 »

Queequeg wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:25 pm
Dan74 wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:16 am Ok.. it seems we talked past each other... no aggression was intended, passive or otherwise.. also no interest in fighting here or moral high ground.. i am sorry if that's how I came across..
No you misunderstood my point and responded by drawing conclusions about me. You make a point about not judging and there you go.

LOL
Right.. . time for another hiatus.
boda

Post by boda »

Dan74 wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:50 pm time for another hiatus.
Nice to have the choice. :hi:
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Dan74 wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:04 pm This is all fine and good, but what would you have done in Hamlet's place with all this knowledge and wisdom?
I am not sure why Hamlet (a fictional story) is of significance to you, but you seem to relate to it and see something in it that we as human beings face regularly especially when we approach politics (considering the title of this thread).

Could you be more specific?
The cleverest defenders of faith are its greatest enemies: for their subtleties engender doubt and stimulate the mind. -- Will Durant
Yavana

Post by Yavana »

kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Dan74 wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:04 pm
This is all fine and good, but what would you have done in Hamlet's place with all this knowledge and wisdom?
Bundokji is correct to return to the Four Noble Truths on this. Hamlet's noted "apathy" was really a complex mask of negative emotions that appeared as indecision and despair but was really rage and a commitment to revenge. This was possibly hidden even from himself. Most (all?) of Shakespeare's tragedies are like this - beneath the surface a commitment to action has been made that unfolds later with extreme consequences.

Hamlet was unable to see that life is a mass of suffering based on ignorance and dualistic perception in which we create our future by reacting emotionally and following selfish and limited self-interest. Hamlet should have revealed the court corruption and his knowledge of his father's murder without initiating the cycle of death in his revenge and then left the palace to become a hermit (for the time) or possibly a cleric or a wandering knight righting wrongs peacefully (which wouldn't really have been possible in his time, or ours either).

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Yavana

Post by Yavana »

kirtu wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:04 pm
Hamlet should have revealed the court corruption and his knowledge of his father's murder without initiating the cycle of death in his revenge and then left the palace to become a hermit (for the time) or possibly a cleric or a wandering knight righting wrongs peacefully (which wouldn't really have been possible in his time, or ours either).

Kirt
Trubador?
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

The Cicada wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:33 pm
kirtu wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:04 pm
Hamlet should have revealed the court corruption and his knowledge of his father's murder without initiating the cycle of death in his revenge and then left the palace to become a hermit (for the time) or possibly a cleric or a wandering knight righting wrongs peacefully (which wouldn't really have been possible in his time, or ours either).

Kirt
Trubador?
Even better! :anjali:

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

boda wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:54 pm
EVERYONE has the choice. Even arseholes...that's not aimed at you Dan. :smile:
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
boda

Post by boda »

Simon E. wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:58 am
boda wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:54 pm
EVERYONE has the choice. Even arseholes...that's not aimed at you Dan. :smile:
With all due respect, Simon, it's what you call an 'inside joke', see: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... ide%20joke.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Time for a break.
Namu Amida Butsu

Return to “Engaged Buddhism”