Politics and Toxicity

Discuss the application of the Dharma to situations of social, political, environmental and economic suffering and injustice.
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Politics and Toxicity

Post by kirtu »

Queequeg wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:01 pm Actually, one reason I practice Buddhism, and Nichiren in particular, is because it is consciously a generational project to bring about awakening for all beings. Practice for oneself and for others. I am taught and I find compelling that by awakening to, mine and everyone's Buddha nature and causing others to know of Buddha nature, their own and that of all beings, things will tend to shake out for the better.
Absolutely correct. :anjali:

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
如傑優婆塞

Post by 如傑優婆塞 »

I wonder what Nichiren has to say on this topic? Anyone? And which writing is it in?
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

如傑優婆塞 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:48 pm I wonder what Nichiren has to say on this topic? Anyone? And which writing is it in?
Nichiren was quite concerned with domestic strife and civil war which he attributed to disregard and slander of Saddharma. He discussed this frequently, most prominently in Rissho Ankoku Ron - On securing the peace of the nation through the rectification of the correct dharma (or something along those lines). He urged that harmony and tranquility would be established when the people embraced the Saddharma. Based on Tientai, Nichiren asserted that the Saddharma was embodied as the Lotus Sutra, especially its title, the Daimoku, Myohorengekyo.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
boda

Post by boda »

Queequeg wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:42 pm
boda wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:08 pm
Queequeg wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:15 pm

Are we all participating in the toxic political culture?
Do the people you're calling stupid support the same policies and have the same or similar values and political views that you do?
Yeah, you put the horse before the cart. Some do, some don't. Stupidity is non-partisan as far as I can tell so far.
So there are people who support the same policies and have the same or similar values and political views that you do, and they're idiots? Hmm...

... I better just finish the popcorn. :popcorn:
markatex

Post by markatex »

Something that infuriates me is the idea some people have that Buddhists shouldn’t care about or be involved in politics. It strikes me as a Hinayana view (in the worst sense of the word). Nichiren certainly cared.

On the other hand, self-care is a necessity. I try not to read or listen to things that serve no purpose other than to make me mad or encourage my tendency to believe that most people are very, very stupid.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Saving the world :toilet:

Saving people from the world :thumbsup:
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:37 am Saving the world :toilet:

Define world.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

markatex wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:52 am Something that infuriates me is the idea some people have that Buddhists shouldn’t care about or be involved in politics. It strikes me as a Hinayana view (in the worst sense of the word). Nichiren certainly cared.

On the other hand, self-care is a necessity. I try not to read or listen to things that serve no purpose other than to make me mad or encourage my tendency to believe that most people are very, very stupid.
And you find that believing that most people are very very stupid is compatible with generating Bodhicitta?
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

markatex wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:52 am Something that infuriates me is the idea some people have that Buddhists shouldn’t care about or be involved in politics. It strikes me as a Hinayana view (in the worst sense of the word). Nichiren certainly cared.

You lack equanimity ?
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Simon E. wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:29 pm

And you find that believing that most people are very very stupid is compatible with generating Bodhicitta?
I think Mark is saying the opposite. He's trying to persist in Dharma practice, and for him that means avoiding certain stimuli that are afflicted in particular ways.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

boda wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:47 am
So there are people who support the same policies and have the same or similar values and political views that you do, and they're idiots? Hmm...

... I better just finish the popcorn. :popcorn:
Your sloppy reasoning explains much.

You can bleed on me. I'll be your straw man.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Simon E. wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:29 pm And you find that believing that most people are very very stupid is compatible with generating Bodhicitta?
Sizing someone's intelligence up doesn't preclude generating a desire for awakening. Concluding a person lacks the ability to reason and translate thought into action does not preclude generating concern for them.

You mistake idealizing a person with being concerned for their well being.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

People are the world. One and the same. Conceiving they are different is error.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

amanitamusc wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:14 pm

You lack equanimity ?
You didn't say anythin about my ?Matt. What am i chopped liva? :tongue:
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

amanitamusc wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:21 pm You didn't say anythin about my ?Matt. What am i chopped liva? :tongue:
I love you, brother. You know I have a soft spot for the wise guys on the board. The question wasn't addressed to me.

Does Mark lack equanimity? :shrug: What I know of him, I'd say he's pretty good at taking it as it comes.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Queequeg wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:34 pm
amanitamusc wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:21 pm You didn't say anythin about my ?Matt. What am i chopped liva? :tongue:
I love you, brother. You know I have a soft spot for the wise guys on the board. The question wasn't addressed to me.

Does Mark lack equanimity? :shrug: What I know of him, I'd say he's pretty good at taking it as it comes.
Right back at you Matt!
I don't know Mark but from reading his posts he seems a very serious practitioner.
I just never saw a post quite like that from him.
These days are full of surprises.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Queequeg wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:40 pm
Simon E. wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:29 pm And you find that believing that most people are very very stupid is compatible with generating Bodhicitta?
Sizing someone's intelligence up doesn't preclude generating a desire for awakening. Concluding a person lacks the ability to reason and translate thought into action does not preclude generating concern for them.

You mistake idealizing a person with being concerned for their well being.
Point taken.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Queequeg wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:42 pm

People are the world. One and the same. Conceiving they are different is error.
Fortyeight may have been saying that what is precious is sentient beings and their potential.
But this realm is where beings dwell and these are the terms they use and understand so :shrug:
You can't abandon realms without abandoning beings.
DGA wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:35 pm
Simon E. wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:29 pm

I think Mark is saying the opposite. He's trying to persist in Dharma practice, and for him that means avoiding certain stimuli that are afflicted in particular ways.
I got the same vibe.
When I start thinking someone seems hateful or stupid, that's a good time to renew my vows.
Namu Amida Butsu
Natan

Post by Natan »

You miss nothing by avoiding news.
Vajra fangs deliver vajra venom to your Mara body.
markatex

Post by markatex »

Crazywisdom wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:43 pm You miss nothing by avoiding news.

That’s ridiculous and, to be clear, that’s not what I meant either (DGA got it right). Nichiren Buddhism is not about disengaging from the world and going off by yourself to meditate in a cave.

Return to “Engaged Buddhism”