Balanced vegetarian diet

Discuss the application of the Dharma to situations of social, political, environmental and economic suffering and injustice.
KathyLauren

Re: Balanced vegetarian diet

Post by KathyLauren » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:24 pm

Eat regularly from these four food groups:
- grains
- legumes
- fruits
- other vegetables, especially colourful ones

Protein combining in every meal was considered necessary years ago, but it is no longer considered necessary, not even by the original proponents of the idea. If you eat something from each of the groups most days, your protein will be fine. It is difficult to not get enough protein if you are not actually starving. The fruits and veggies will ensure that you get vitamins and minerals that you need.

Calories affect weight gain or loss. Eat more calories and your weight goes up. Eat less calories and your weight goes down.

Om mani padme hum
Kathy

Bristollad

Post by Bristollad » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:43 am

KathyLauren wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:24 pm
Calories affect weight gain or loss. Eat more calories and your weight goes up. Eat less calories and your weight goes down.
True but not the whole story. Like most things, it’s more complicated than that.

Bristollad

Post by Bristollad » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:50 am

Miroku wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:14 pm
I have to say that it is enough to fill me and I do not feel hungry nor lethargic or anything to be really honest.
If your healthy, full of energy and you’re not losing weight rapidly, I wouldn’t worry. Just concentrate on eating tasty varied food. :twothumbsup:

Nemo

Post by Nemo » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:14 am

Almost everyone thrives on a vegetarian diet. But some people have odd genetic anomalies.

I would recommend getting a genetic analysis like 23andMe and then submitting your DNA for further analysis at a site like Promethease.
If you are at risk for Celiac Disease avoiding gluten helps. Some of the most common are errors in folate metabolism so you would have to supplement B12 and possibly MTHFR if it is severe. Hyperhomocysteinemia and altered choline metabolism are common as well. If you are Nordic they have some odd ones regarding conversion of Omega 3 and the most severe is an inability to synthesize carnitine. The last one can actually be life threatening and lead to cardiac myopathy.

If you feel healthy I wouldn't worry. But If you start to look like you are taking chemo and even monks think you need an intervention(me) you should do some research into your metabolism.

Miroku
Global Moderator

Post by Miroku » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:11 am

Okay, thank you guys. :twothumbsup: I will see then. Thanks Nemo, I do not look like after chemo (that is as long as I dont shave my head completely). I will do some blood tests after few months to see if I have made some bad decisions. In the mean time I will do my best. Thanks again. :smile:
A boat delivers you to the other riverbank.
A needle stitches up your clothes.
A horse takes you where you want to go.
Bodhicitta will bring you to Buddhahood.
~ Khunu Lama Rinpoche

Even non-buddhists have many virtuous accomplishments
~ Jigten Sumgon

RBK

Post by RBK » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:04 pm

Well rounded diet (lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, and try and include a protein source with most meals if possible; legumes, seeds, eggs and dairy etc) supplement B12 and Iron (especially if you are a woman), and consider using a protein supplement if you exercise. For example, I have one (or two) vegan protein shake a day with added fruit, oats, and soy milk, as I am a amateur athlete.

DharmaN00b

Post by DharmaN00b » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:29 pm

Daal recipe Very cheap: super high protein 50-100 grams!

1 bag split peas
4 big shallots
handful of cashews
-spice mix 2 cloves of garlic, small knob of ginger, 1 chilli, 1 teaspoon of coriander seeds, 1/2 teaspoon of cumin seeds, 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds, small amount of grated turmeric (or 1/2 teaspoon ground)
1/2 a LIME*
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 tablespoons of tomato puree ( preferably from a jar )
Freshly chopped coriander.

Soak your peas for a few hours then boil and simmer until they've turned to mush. In the meantime finely chop your shallots & garlic, grate the ginger, turmeric; grind your coriander seeds, mustard seeds & cumin seeds. Put the spice mix aside and grind the cashews into a powder so you now have a spice mix, a bowl of crushed nuts, a pile of shallots 1/2 a lime and a jar of tomato puree.

When the peas are nice and creamy heat up a deep pan and add a high heat oil (rapeseed or coconut oil). Throw in your shallots for three mins on high heat with 1/2 a teaspoon of your preferred salt. Now add the spice mix for a further 2 mins. Turn heat to medium and add the tomato puree and cashews. Fry this off for 1 minute.

Now add the mushed peas. You probably don't need to drain as they'll continue to soak up water. Squeeze the lime on top. and keep stirring for a further couple of minutes.

Serve with coriander. :stirthepot:
If you are drunk here is the submit post button. Submit post

Tenma

Meat Substitutes?

Post by Tenma » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:13 pm

Does anyone know a really good meat substitute? I'm afraid a majority of my household cuisines consist of meat(except for one vomit-producing dish of cold black bean soup even though it's a bright, horrid green in ice). I plan on going vegetarian once I start college, but so far, I would like to know a really good meat substitute(a certain method of cooking tofu rather than just the ones you use for traditional soups).
For example, anyone know what to substitute in chicken with for a really spicy chicken dish, substitute beef for a seaweed soup, substitute for flesh in broths, substitute pork with for spring rolls, and so on?

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:44 pm

Stir fry tofu. Simply cut the tofu in cubes, mix with some veggies, stir fry in a wok. If you don't have a wok, you could use a large deep frying pan. Use olive oil and cook to golden light brown. Very tasty and vegan.

Tenma

Post by Tenma » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:43 am

DNS wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:44 pm
Stir fry tofu. Simply cut the tofu in cubes, mix with some veggies, stir fry in a wok. If you don't have a wok, you could use a large deep frying pan. Use olive oil and cook to golden light brown. Very tasty and vegan.

What about a seaweed soup?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miyeok-guk

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:53 pm

Tenma wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:43 am
What about a seaweed soup?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miyeok-guk
Definitely good too, if you like soup. Seaweed is very healthy too, full of nutrients. If you're really committed to vegetarianism, you'd want to use a vegetable broth.

Simon E.

Re: Meat Substitutes?

Post by Simon E. » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:05 pm

Tenma wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:13 pm
Does anyone know a really good meat substitute? I'm afraid a majority of my household cuisines consist of meat(except for one vomit-producing dish of cold black bean soup even though it's a bright, horrid green in ice). I plan on going vegetarian once I start college, but so far, I would like to know a really good meat substitute(a certain method of cooking tofu rather than just the ones you use for traditional soups).
For example, anyone know what to substitute in chicken with for a really spicy chicken dish, substitute beef for a seaweed soup, substitute for flesh in broths, substitute pork with for spring rolls, and so on?
If you eat dairy products try paneer. Hard, Indian, cooking cheese..very versatile and it takes up the flavours of whatever you cook with it. It also stays nice and firm through the cooking process.
I know nothing. This is not false modesty.

seeker242

Post by seeker242 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:32 pm

Tenma wrote:
https://www.gardein.com If you can find it in your local shops. :smile:
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:42 pm

Vietnamese shops sometimes have a product that is a kind of fake chicken. I think it's called something like Gui Fei.

I have had it in restaurants and at events (have not bought it myself since i'm not longer vegetarian) and I have to say it's about the best meat substitute I've come across, far better than most of the available veggie-marketed products. I don't know how healthy it is.

In fact, some of the best vegetarian food I've ever had period was at a Vietnamese Pureland temple. If I ever go veggie again, at least in terms of taste I will be looking into their cuisine.
There's no hoarding what has vanished,
No piling up for the future;
Those who have been born are standing
Like a seed upon a needle.

-Guhatthaka-suttaniddeso

Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:17 pm

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:42 pm
Vietnamese shops sometimes have a product that is a kind of fake chicken. I think it's called something like Gui Fei.

I have had it in restaurants and at events (have not bought it myself since i'm not longer vegetarian) and I have to say it's about the best meat substitute I've come across, far better than most of the available veggie-marketed products. I don't know how healthy it is.

In fact, some of the best vegetarian food I've ever had period was at a Vietnamese Pureland temple. If I ever go veggie again, at least in terms of taste I will be looking into their cuisine.
Vegan Banh Mi sandwiches are soooo good!

Jainarayan

Post by Jainarayan » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:28 pm

Indian vegetarian cooking is very easy. Like Italian cooking with its basic tomato sauce and pasta, Indian cooking starts with a basic tomato sauce (the curry: tomatoes, garlic, ginger, onions) can blenderize a boatload of it, separate and freeze it in containers. I use about a cup of it for each recipe I make, which is about 4 servings.

You can use whatever spices and seasonings you prefer. The typical seasonings are red chili powder (no more than 1/8 tsp per recipe), turmeric, garam masala, cumin seeds (jeera). The jeera is usually quickly tossed in oil or ghee in the pan, then the tomato mixture (the curry) is added. Let it cook a bit, then add whatever you want... cooked dal or beans of any kind, parboiled potatoes, etc. Some names of dishes:

Matar paneer is peas and paneer in the tomato curry.
Aloo matar is peas and potatoes.
Palak paneer is pureed spinach and paneer.
Masoor dal is red lentils in the curry.
Toor dal is yellow lentils in the curry.
Vegetable biryani. There are recipes on the web for the biryani spice mixture, or use a package like I do, Shan is one of them. It's seasoned rice and vegetables. You can add cooked dal right to it (I just thought of that! :twothumbsup: ).
Pav bhaji (vegetarian sloppy joes).

A beginner's vegetarian cookbook from different cuisines is a good start. They're usually simple, using easy to find ingredients. And if you have to substitute, If it tastes good to you and you're not opening a restaurant, who cares?
ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
oṃ namo bhagavate vāsudevāya

Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:33 pm

I've got a very basic recipe that is cheap and takes about five minutes to prepare 4-5 servings.

1 cup red lentils
1 cup rice
1 parsnip
1 stalk celery
1 carrot
1/2 teaspoon rosemary
1/2 teaspoon thyme
2 pinches salt
6 cups water

1. Rinse rice
2. Chop vegetables
3. Combine and stir ingredients in rice cooker and turn on
4. When rice cooker finishes, the meal is prepared, and you can refrigerate the leftovers

You can make a lot of dishes like this in a rice cooker, just combine with some kind of legume. Split mung Dahl is best for minimizing gas.

Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:38 pm

Tenma wrote:
Aside from the obvious, tofu, some other greats are seitan, mushrooms, and wheat gluten. Seriously, try seitan if you've never had it before. It blew me away the first time I had it. Obviously this is a problem if you are Celiac. Depending on how you season it, it can substitute chicken, beef, or pork. Of course that's coming from a vegetarian, not sure if an omnivore would agree haha

Tenma

Post by Tenma » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:30 am

Thomas Amundsen wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:38 pm
Tenma wrote:
Aside from the obvious, tofu, some other greats are seitan, mushrooms, and wheat gluten. Seriously, try seitan if you've never had it before. It blew me away the first time I had it. Obviously this is a problem if you are Celiac. Depending on how you season it, it can substitute chicken, beef, or pork. Of course that's coming from a vegetarian, not sure if an omnivore would agree haha
How would you cook seitan? Or like any other meat(minus putting it in water for a long time to wash off blood).

DharmaN00b

Post by DharmaN00b » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:42 am

If you are drunk here is the submit post button. Submit post

Return to “Engaged Buddhism”