Consecration of buddha statue

Requesting and offering prayers and aspirations for those in need.
funny

Consecration of buddha statue

Post by funny »

Hi
Just wish to know is it important to have a shrine after consecration. I wish to have statue consecrated but do not wish to have a shrine. I just need blessing but do not wish to pray as I believe in sincerity to the statue. Please advise me. Am I ok with this.
Spirituality

Re: Consecration of buddha statue

Post by Spirituality »

Personally it took me years to create a shrine, so no - I don't think it's necessary. On the other hand, if you want to ask a teacher to bless a statue (which is perhaps what this question is about) they will probably expect that statue to end up on a shrine. Depending on the background of the teacher.

From your question it sounds like you have the basics right: you want to be authentic in your practice. That's the most important thing, I think. Just make sure that after the consecration you put the statue in a place that shows you respect it. A high place is good, a place of honor is good, having offerings in front of it (if you can give them authentically) is good. Having it in the toilet is not good. Having it at the foot of your bed (so you sleep with your feet towards it) is not good, traditionally. I could go on...

The problem is, partly, that the more ritual rules you know and try to follow - the more you can break. You're probably not ready for most of them anyhow, so just treat it with as much respect as you can muster and don't worry about the rest. In the end it's the authenticity of your practice that matters most. And that's in how you treat people.
pemachophel

Re: Consecration of buddha statue

Post by pemachophel »

Once a statue or thangka is consecrated (rab-nay), at least in the Tibetan Buddhist tradition, it should be treated as the Buddha or whatever Deity it represents in person. It is no longer a lifeless statue. In fact, it's no longer a statue at all. This means acting in front of the image (ku-tsab) as if you are in the same room/space as the Buddha/Deity. This is a hugely powerful skillful means for developing mindfulness and virtuous behavior, but it's not necessarily easy to maintain.

Good luck and best wishes.

:namaste:
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

Return to “Prayers and Aspirations”