I wish to become a Doctor (MD)!

Requesting and offering prayers and aspirations for those in need.
Simon E.

Re: I wish to become a Doctor (MD)!

Post by Simon E. »

justsit wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:28 pm As previously mentioned, to be admitted to med school you must first pass the MCAT.

Just for fun, here is a link to a site with sample questions - test your knowledge!

https://www.testprepreview.com/mcat_practice.htm
I am very glad that this was/is not a necessity here in the UK! :thinking:
Entrance to med school is dependant on statuary National exams at Advanced level ( A Levels ). Which are exams taken at age 16/17..although they are open to more mature students. One has to be a science subject.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Motova

Post by Motova »

I can see removing parasites and enabling evil people would be a problem.

But I think most, if not all, jobs are responsible for directly or indirectly killing many sentient beings and enabling many evil people.

We are all constantly shitting on sentient beings whether we like it or not. :shrug:

If I scratch my ass I probably kill thousands of microscopic skin eaters.

Our lives are maintained by countless mountains of suffering.
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
justsit

Post by justsit »

Simon E. wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:18 pm
justsit wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:28 pm As previously mentioned, to be admitted to med school you must first pass the MCAT.

Just for fun, here is a link to a site with sample questions - test your knowledge!

https://www.testprepreview.com/mcat_practice.htm
I am very glad that this was/is not a necessity here in the UK! :thinking:
LOL. :tongue:
I took my nursing boards in 1988; our curriculum included "baby" organic chemistry (as opposed to the Chem Majors' "big" organic) and it about did me in. When I tried the sample questions in the link, I was pleasantly surprised how much of it is still in the memory bank. Physiology, which I thought I had a pretty good handle on - not so much. Fortunately, my current practice deals with paperwork, not patients, so that's probably okay.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

I watch regularly a BBC quiz called Mastermind..I am frequently appalled at the degree to which I have forgotten basic anatomy and physiology..Like you this did not matter in the years before retirement . as I by then was teaching on the mental health modules.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Simon E. wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:05 pm An M.D. is the basic qualification needed to practice medicine. In most countries including the UK it takes 5 or 6 years to gain an M.D. qualification.
In the U.S. it takes 4 years for the bachelor's then 4 years for the M.D. plus at least 5 years of residency; so about 13 years beyond high school where a new doctor can be 31 years old or more. I like the non-U.S. way of just 6 years for the M.D., no bachelor's required. Many doctors in the U.S. end up being the 6 year program anyway because they earn their M.D. in India or another country, come to the U.S., pass the medical licensing test and become U.S. doctors making the same salary as the American med school graduates who spent twice as much time in school.

A physician is a professional career, not a scholarly career, so no need for all those extra years, imo. A scholarly career writing professional articles, looking for cures in a lab is the more the work of a Ph.D. or Sc.D., not an M.D., imo.
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

pemachophel wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:38 pm from a buddhist pov. the practice needs to primarily based on bodhicitta.
That's why i kept asking him WHY he wants to do this....i wanted to know what was the motivation...besides wanting to sponsor teachers and retreats ( that in itself requires bodhictta), and you don't have to be a doctor to do that...
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Right...( David)..
Although what I was citing as the norm in the UK is, of course, the basics.
Having obtained the M.D. one must then serve a registrar under the supervision of a Consultant..this is likely to last for two years or so..then Senior Reg. if one is planning a hospital based career, or a placement as a trainee General Practitioner ( family doctor) for a similar duration.
So that 6 years quickly becomes 8 or 9 years and one is still a junior. :smile:
So the average age of a new General Practitioner or Senior Registrar would be very similar to their American counterpart..late 20's early thirties.
The average age for a new hospital Consultant would be early forties.

Ricky

Post by Ricky »

Motova wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:48 pm:reading:
If the doctor thing doesn't work out you can also look into the trades like plumbing. Despite the social stigma of working with your hands, you can make quite a bit of dough if you're good at it. I actually used to help out a millionaire plumber who was averaging about 1000-1500 per day doing bathroom renos and service calls. Took him a while to establish his business though.
Motova

Post by Motova »

Ricky wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:27 pm
If the doctor thing doesn't work out you can also look into the trades like plumbing. Despite the social stigma of working with your hands, you can make quite a bit of dough if you're good at it. I actually used to help out a millionaire plumber who was averaging about 1000-1500 per day doing bathroom renos and service calls. Took him a while to establish his business though.
:toilet:
Ricky

Post by Ricky »

Motova wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:36 pm
You need a high iq to become a doctor which you probably don't.... nevermind. Just giving some alternate advice. :)
Last edited by Ricky on Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Motova

Post by Motova »

Ricky wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:02 pm
Motova wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:36 pm
You need a high iq to become a doctor witch you probably don't.... nevermind. Just giving some alternate advice. :)
:reading:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Simon E. wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:05 pm So the average age of a new General Practitioner or Senior Registrar would be very similar to their American counterpart..late 20's early thirties.
Interesting, thanks for that info.
Kunga Lhadzom wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:02 pm
pemachophel wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:38 pm from a buddhist pov. the practice needs to primarily based on bodhicitta.
That's why i kept asking him WHY he wants to do this....i wanted to know what was the motivation...besides wanting to sponsor teachers and retreats ( that in itself requires bodhictta), and you don't have to be a doctor to do that...
Yes, I agree with this. The motivation should be based on developing a lot of bodhicitta, helping fellow human beings, perhaps adding in some doctors without borders voluntary work. The motivation to be a doctor shouldn't be money; or a small part of it at the most. For making money and helping others through generosity, there are plenty of other careers one could pursue, many of which make more than a doctor's salary.
Motova

Post by Motova »

Doctor > Lawyer > Engineer > Pilot > Best Selling Author

Thoughts?

:jedi:
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

DNS wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:10 pm
Simon E. wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:05 pm So the average age of a new General Practitioner or Senior Registrar would be very similar to their American counterpart..late 20's early thirties.
Interesting, thanks for that info.
Kunga Lhadzom wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:02 pm
Yes, I agree with this. The motivation should be based on developing a lot of bodhicitta, helping fellow human beings, perhaps adding in some doctors without borders voluntary work. The motivation to be a doctor shouldn't be money; or a small part of it at the most. For making money and helping others through generosity, there are plenty of other careers one could pursue, many of which make more than a doctor's salary.
Particularly in the UK where medics are on a fixed pay scale that is agreed nationally according to grade and experience. It's a comfortable living, but very modest compared to industry or evn to private medicine.

Motova

Post by Motova »

I believe everyone has infinite potential, and if anyone wants to become a teacherdoctorlawyerengineerpilotastronautjudgekungfumastajedi (or any one of those) then I will support you. :smile:
justsit

Post by justsit »

Motova wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:01 pm I believe everyone has infinite potential, and if anyone wants to become a teacherdoctorlawyerengineerpilotastronautjudgekungfumastajedi (or any one of those) then I will support you. :smile:
Great! I'm ready for a new career. PM'ing you my address, just send a check. :smile:
Ricky

Post by Ricky »

Motova wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:01 pm I believe everyone has infinite potential, and if anyone wants to become a teacherdoctorlawyerengineerpilotastronautjudgekungfumastajedi (or any one of those) then I will support you. :smile:
Discipline is also crucial in achieving your goals, whatever they may be.

Here's a speech from Jocko Willink, a former Navy Seal.

odysseus

Post by odysseus »

Motova wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:01 pm I believe everyone has infinite potential,
So do I, but there could happen obstacles on the way. An example is the Angulimala story, to illustrate that he was able to do something to clean up his act, so he could live a happy life but he did never reach Nirvana. He had to wait till another life for that. I'm not saying you are like Angulimala, I am saying there could be obstacles in life, made whether by others or on your own.

So hope you can become a doctor. Best of luck! :cheers:
Motova

Post by Motova »

I have to first do a few high school courses, then this winter I will be applying to a nursing program.

Ideally, after two years of a nursing undergraduate degree I will get into medical school. If not, then I continue with nursing until I become a doctor.... :smile:
kausalya

Post by kausalya »

People are asking questions in order to get you to talk about it, and hopefully strengthen your motivation. You should welcome these questions, because it's in dependence on others that we become anything.

Imagine being the only person on the planet, and having a medical degree, and supernormal powers, and everything! What would it be good for?

Nothing... we do what we do because of others, and that's what leads to fulfillment.

Medicine Buddha practice would help you realize this & become an excellent doctor, I think. In my experience, it purifies the need to "fix" whatever we see as wrong with ourselves/others/the world, and allows us to focus on a realistic assessment of how we can help (or not help) in any given situation.

Again, this is just my experience.

I'll be entering retreat on Medicine Buddha, soon. If you like, I can dedicate the merit to you.
"For as long as space remains,
For as long as sentient beings remain,
Until then may I too remain
To dispel the miseries of the world."
(Shantideva)

Return to “Prayers and Aspirations”