I wish to become a Doctor (MD)!

Requesting and offering prayers and aspirations for those in need.
Motova

Re: I wish to become a Doctor (MD)!

Post by Motova »

Kunga Lhadzom wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:58 am
Motova wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:50 am I don't have the time to explain myself. I'm busy becoming a doctor.

(Face Palm)

Just tell us in one sentence...(HAVE patience ) (pun intended) :lol:
:reading:
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Pray as if everything depends on gods
Act as if everything depends on you
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Go for it, if that's what you really want to do. Just remember that it is very difficult to become an MD and if you don't become one, sometimes life opens an even better door. For example, I heard of a woman who was very intelligent, good at school and wanted to become a doctor (MD). Then she took organic chemistry in university and that killed it for her. She switched to pre-law and that was more in line with her aptitude and abilities. She went to prestigious law school had a successful practice and eventually became an agent for some professional athletes, making several-fold higher income than any typical MD (not that money is everything, but she was good at what she did and was rewarded for her skills).

What year of schooling are you in right now? If you are near finishing the bachelor's degree, take the MCAT exam and see what your score is compared to the average accepted at med schools.
ItsRaining

Post by ItsRaining »

I hope you do well! I wanted to be a doctor too, but I didn't do well enough on our version of the MCAT (Or rather I did but my grades weren't as good as some others) so I'm becoming a dentist instead now lol.
Motova

Post by Motova »

:reading:
Motova

Post by Motova »

And I wish to do everything with mindfulness and Bodhicitta. :jedi:
Yavana

Post by Yavana »

Motova wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:53 pm And I wish to do everything with mindfulness and Bodhicitta. :jedi:
Sucker.

:spy:
Motova

Post by Motova »

The Cicada wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:17 pm
Motova wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:53 pm And I wish to do everything with mindfulness and Bodhicitta. :jedi:
Sucker.

?
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

Motova wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:06 am Please help me to become a Doctor (MD) so that I can sponsor teachings and retreats!

Please pray for me and recite mantras for me and dedicate merit to me so that I may realize my aspiration. :smile:

Thank you kindly.

:namaste:
MD means "managing director" and any health worker using this title is fake health personell. Real doctors and shrinks do exist, but they are all Ph. D. And they will get the respect and the money they deserve (have worked for). And "respect" in my book means NOT being afraid of somebody, but means "heartfelt appreciation for their effort to make you well and happy".

There's a suggestion that a Buddhist should not be involved in the medical profession or politics, but this means only that these occupations create more obstacles for Enlightenment. Again, meaning that you can lead a great and happy life as medical personell or politician, but these are really hard work so it will become difficult to reach the Buddhist goal (it's Nirvana).
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

An M.D. is a Doctor of Medicine. Doctors of Medicine are not PhD's. Psychiatrists are M.D.s that have undertaken a further qualification. Quite a number of M.D's practice Buddhadharma.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Motova

Post by Motova »

I have observed that admirable Dharma practitioners are typically teachers or doctors, or in the fields of education or medicine.
odysseus wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:22 pm
MD means "managing director" and any health worker using this title is fake health personell. Real doctors and shrinks do exist, but they are all Ph. D. And they will get the respect and the money they deserve (have worked for). And "respect" in my book means NOT being afraid of somebody, but means "heartfelt appreciation for their effort to make you well and happy".

There's a suggestion that a Buddhist should not be involved in the medical profession or politics, but this means only that these occupations create more obstacles for Enlightenment. Again, meaning that you can lead a great and happy life as medical personell or politician, but these are really hard work so it will become difficult to reach the Buddhist goal (it's Nirvana).
:focus:
Motova

Post by Motova »

The Cicada wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:17 pm
Sucker.

Motova wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:06 am Please help me to become a Doctor (MD) so that I can sponsor teachings and retreats!
:roll:
Motova

Post by Motova »

odysseus wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:00 am
Motova wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:04 pm I have observed that admirable Dharma practitioners are typically teachers or doctors, or in the fields of education or medicine.
Admiration has nothing to do with any occupation, whichever conviction you have. Practicing Buddhism does not directly entitle you to worship or accolades. Real monks receive veneration, because they earn it by hard work and not by pretending to be Buddhas because they went to a wordly college.
odysseus wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:22 pm

Motova wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:04 pm :focus:
No forum members are insulted by your mockery, but perhaps you have not heard about Lord Buddha's teachings?

:focus:
:popcorn:
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Take no notice Motova. The man has no idea what he is talking about.
As you know a medical doctor is an M.D.
An M.D. is the basic qualification needed to practice medicine. In most countries including the UK it takes 5 or 6 years to gain an M.D. qualification.
You can then begin to train as a family doctor, or with further training a surgeon or hospital consultant in one of various disciplines.
Being a medic is fully compatible with developing Bodhicitta.

Good luck with your aspirations. As David said it is very hard work and the exams and practicals are very demanding. But it's do-able. I had to overcome a lack of aptitude for Maths, it did not come easy to me at all. But with persistence, it can be done.

Simon Ellis M.D.

Motova

Post by Motova »

Simon E. wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:05 pm
Good luck with your aspirations. As David said it is very hard work and the exams and practicals are very demanding. But it's do-able. I had to overcome a lack of aptitude for Maths, it did not come easy to me at all. But with persistence, it can be done.

Simon Ellis M.D.
Thank you Simon, math was a challenge for me too.

I just completed https://www.amazon.ca/Mind-Numbers-Scie ... 442&sr=8-1 and I feel very very confident. Soon I will complete my three mental speed math books and https://www.amazon.ca/Mathematics-Birth ... of+numbers ...
justsit

Post by justsit »

As previously mentioned, to be admitted to med school you must first pass the MCAT.

Just for fun, here is a link to a site with sample questions - test your knowledge!

https://www.testprepreview.com/mcat_practice.htm
Motova

Post by Motova »

Motova

Post by Motova »

pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

motova, as a retired doctor, i wish you good luck. as stated above, the practice of medicine as a profession can be problematic from a buddhist pov. the practice needs to primarily based on bodhicitta.

i recommend you receive the teachings and empowerments of the yuthok nyingthig which skillfully transform the practice of medicine into a complete path to enlightenment. with the right motivation and the proper skillful means, the practice of medicine can be totally brought to the path.

i also applaud your desire to be a patron of the dharma. ime, far too many western buddhists are poor and their poverty prevents them from practicing the dharma fully and effectively.[*]

good luck & best wishes

[*] i'm not saying all poor western buddhists. i'm saying many in my experience.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

pemachophel wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:38 pm motova, as a retired doctor, i wish you good luck. as stated above, the practice of medicine as a profession can be problematic from a buddhist pov. the practice needs to primarily based on bodhicitta.

i recommend you receive the teachings and empowerments of the yuthok nyingthig which skillfully transform the practice of medicine into a complete path to enlightenment. with the right motivation and the proper skillful means, the practice of medicine can be totally brought to the path.

i also applaud your desire to be a patron of the dharma. ime, far too many western buddhists are poor and their poverty prevents them from practicing the dharma fully and effectively.[*]

good luck & best wishes

[*] i'm not saying all poor western buddhists. i'm saying many in my experience.
Excellent post. Your third paragraph makes an important point in my opinion. Too many western Buddhists make a virtue of poverty and waste their potential to make a difference.

Return to “Prayers and Aspirations”