An Unusual Prayer...

Requesting and offering prayers and aspirations for those in need.
Tenma
Posts: 723
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:25 am

An Unusual Prayer...

Post by Tenma » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:08 am

So, we know that Trumps recently been separating children of immigrants from their parents. In Buddhism, the yakshini, Hariti, took away children front there parents by eating their children. Both Trump and Hariti have pained parents greatly by taking away their children.
In order to teach Hariti, the Buddha hid away her youngest child from her which causes her to give up her ways.
Could everyone begin praying to Hariti, Buddha, whomever, that Trump's current kid, Barron Trump, be kidnapped until this entire separation of immigrants' children is resolved? Just saying...

User avatar
Aryjna
Posts: 1120
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:45 pm

Re: An Unusual Prayer...

Post by Aryjna » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:14 pm

Tenma wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:08 am
So, we know that Trumps recently been separating children of immigrants from their parents. In Buddhism, the yakshini, Hariti, took away children front there parents by eating their children. Both Trump and Hariti have pained parents greatly by taking away their children.
In order to teach Hariti, the Buddha hid away her youngest child from her which causes her to give up her ways.
Could everyone begin praying to Hariti, Buddha, whomever, that Trump's current kid, Barron Trump, be kidnapped until this entire separation of immigrants' children is resolved? Just saying...
That is a terrible idea.

User avatar
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member
Posts: 3755
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:09 am
Location: North Queensland, Australia

Re: An Unusual Prayer...

Post by Kim O'Hara » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:36 pm

...because ...
3. "He abused me, he struck me, he overpowered me, he robbed me." Those who harbor such thoughts do not still their hatred.

4. "He abused me, he struck me, he overpowered me, he robbed me." Those who do not harbor such thoughts still their hatred.

5. Hatred is never appeased by hatred in this world. By non-hatred alone is hatred appeased. This is a law eternal.

Dhammapada 1, 3 -5
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .budd.html

:namaste:
Kim

User avatar
PSM
Posts: 175
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:15 pm

Re: An Unusual Prayer...

Post by PSM » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:41 pm

Is this what practitioners spend their time fantasising about? Looks like no-one's safe from a neurotic obsession with politics. Jesus Christ.
"The only virtue which cannot be faked is courage" - Nassim Nicholas Taleb
"Not practicing dharma is painful" - Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche
"We don't want to feel the weirdness of life." - James Low

User avatar
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member
Posts: 3755
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:09 am
Location: North Queensland, Australia

Re: An Unusual Prayer...

Post by Kim O'Hara » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:00 pm

Practitioners are people too.

:juggling:
Kim

BTW, who or what is a "Jesus Christ" ?
:tongue:

User avatar
PSM
Posts: 175
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:15 pm

Re: An Unusual Prayer...

Post by PSM » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:16 pm

Kim O'Hara wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:00 pm
Practitioners are people too.
Absolutely. I hope everyone realises that there can always be more love in the world. I hope everyone's grows in strength and stability.
BTW, who or what is a "Jesus Christ" ?
:tongue:
An exclamation inspired by exasperation.
"The only virtue which cannot be faked is courage" - Nassim Nicholas Taleb
"Not practicing dharma is painful" - Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche
"We don't want to feel the weirdness of life." - James Low

Simon E.
Posts: 5637
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 11:09 am

Re: An Unusual Prayer...

Post by Simon E. » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:18 pm

Tenma wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:08 am
So, we know that Trumps recently been separating children of immigrants from their parents. In Buddhism, the yakshini, Hariti, took away children front there parents by eating their children. Both Trump and Hariti have pained parents greatly by taking away their children.
In order to teach Hariti, the Buddha hid away her youngest child from her which causes her to give up her ways.
Could everyone begin praying to Hariti, Buddha, whomever, that Trump's current kid, Barron Trump, be kidnapped until this entire separation of immigrants' children is resolved? Just saying...
Are you seriously suggesting that following the example of a colourful myth, that a young man.. little more than a child, should be included in the culpability of his father and abducted?
Back to fishin' folks... :namaste:

User avatar
Grigoris
Global Moderator
Posts: 18246
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: An Unusual Prayer...

Post by Grigoris » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:29 pm

Simon E. wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:18 pm
Are you seriously suggesting that following the example of a colourful myth, that a young man.. little more than a child, should be included in the culpability of his father and abducted?
It'll be like a crash course in Lojong and Tonglen... Could work, you know...
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Simon E.
Posts: 5637
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 11:09 am

Re: An Unusual Prayer...

Post by Simon E. » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:34 pm

Barron Trump is 12 years old.
Therefore totally innocent of the decisions made by his deranged father. Just as innocent as those poor terrified kids separated from their families.
Back to fishin' folks... :namaste:

User avatar
Grigoris
Global Moderator
Posts: 18246
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: An Unusual Prayer...

Post by Grigoris » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:34 pm

Simon E. wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:34 pm
Barron Trump is 12 years old.
Therefore totally innocent of the decisions made by his deranged father. Just as innocent as those poor terrified kids separated from their families.
Ummmmm... In cased you missed it: That was the exact point.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

User avatar
Aryjna
Posts: 1120
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:45 pm

Re: An Unusual Prayer...

Post by Aryjna » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:35 pm

Regardless of his innocence, it is probably a root downfall, or close to it, of all sets of vows (except maybe of the shravaka vows) to wish for that.

kausalya
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:52 pm

Re: An Unusual Prayer...

Post by kausalya » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:40 pm

Tenma wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:08 am
In order to teach Hariti, the Buddha hid away her youngest child from her which causes her to give up her ways.
The Buddha was able to do this because Hariti was intelligent enough to grasp his reasoning and convert her view, thus ending the possibility of further harm. The teaching given to Hariti can't be expected to work on anyone else, as that would require identical causes & conditions to be in place.

Tenma
Posts: 723
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:25 am

Re: An Unusual Prayer...

Post by Tenma » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:40 pm

Simon E. wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:18 pm
Tenma wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:08 am
So, we know that Trumps recently been separating children of immigrants from their parents. In Buddhism, the yakshini, Hariti, took away children front there parents by eating their children. Both Trump and Hariti have pained parents greatly by taking away their children.
In order to teach Hariti, the Buddha hid away her youngest child from her which causes her to give up her ways.
Could everyone begin praying to Hariti, Buddha, whomever, that Trump's current kid, Barron Trump, be kidnapped until this entire separation of immigrants' children is resolved? Just saying...
Are you seriously suggesting that following the example of a colourful myth, that a young man.. little more than a child, should be included in the culpability of his father and abducted?
How else are you going to fix It? I'm pretty sure his Heart is that of a wall and not going to change well. Look at the Supreme Court! They are justifying his actions against immigrants! Tell me, What is your plan if the Hariti plan supposedly doesn't work?

Simon E.
Posts: 5637
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 11:09 am

Re: An Unusual Prayer...

Post by Simon E. » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:43 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:34 pm
Simon E. wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:34 pm
Barron Trump is 12 years old.
Therefore totally innocent of the decisions made by his deranged father. Just as innocent as those poor terrified kids separated from their families.
Ummmmm... In cased you missed it: That was the exact point.
Really? Then I certainly did. But then I think we often talk past each other. For which I take responsibility.
Back to fishin' folks... :namaste:

Tenma
Posts: 723
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:25 am

Re: An Unusual Prayer...

Post by Tenma » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:44 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:34 pm
Simon E. wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:34 pm
Barron Trump is 12 years old.
Therefore totally innocent of the decisions made by his deranged father. Just as innocent as those poor terrified kids separated from their families.
Ummmmm... In cased you missed it: That was the exact point.
Yep! Hariti's youngest child having a mother who eats children, paining parents. Trump's child having a father who separates children from their parents, it's a perfect match alright!
Last edited by Grigoris on Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed dharani

User avatar
Grigoris
Global Moderator
Posts: 18246
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: An Unusual Prayer...

Post by Grigoris » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:51 pm

Simon E. wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:43 pm
Really? Then I certainly did. But then I think we often talk past each other. For which I take responsibility.
It wasn't exactly my point, it was... Oh never mind... A joke ain't funny when you have to explain it. :smile:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Simon E.
Posts: 5637
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 11:09 am

Re: An Unusual Prayer...

Post by Simon E. » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:54 pm

Perhaps the subject matter caused me to lose my sense of humour.
I never had the experience of being separated from my parents..or from my kids..but the idea of it happening to others saddens me deeply.
Back to fishin' folks... :namaste:

User avatar
Grigoris
Global Moderator
Posts: 18246
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: An Unusual Prayer...

Post by Grigoris » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:31 pm

Simon E. wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:54 pm
Perhaps the subject matter caused me to lose my sense of humour.
I never had the experience of being separated from my parents..or from my kids..but the idea of it happening to others saddens me deeply.
The idea that somebody with children is doing it to other children is even more bewildering...
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Norwegian
Posts: 1471
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: An Unusual Prayer...

Post by Norwegian » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:39 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:31 pm
Simon E. wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:54 pm
Perhaps the subject matter caused me to lose my sense of humour.
I never had the experience of being separated from my parents..or from my kids..but the idea of it happening to others saddens me deeply.
The idea that somebody with children is doing it to other children is even more bewildering...
That may be so.

But if we form the genuine wish that others suffer, that we wish that their children too should suffer, then we as Buddhist practitioners will generate a lot of negative karma, and we will have major obstacles that will block our own path. How can we have realization and liberation with such a view? It's impossible.

So while it is sad what others do, and what Trump in this case is doing is really sad, we should never form the wish and hope that they will suffer and that their children too will suffer. This is not the teaching of the Buddha.

We should instead have Bodhicitta. It never fails. It never disappoints.

Those who wish misery and suffering upon others will get misery and suffering in their own lives instead.

Simon E.
Posts: 5637
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 11:09 am

Re: An Unusual Prayer...

Post by Simon E. » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:41 pm

Aye..presumably he is unable to see that other parents would feel exactly as he would.
Back to fishin' folks... :namaste:

Locked

Return to “Prayers and Aspirations”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests