An Unusual Prayer...

Requesting and offering prayers and aspirations for those in need.
Tenma

Re: An Unusual Prayer...

Post by Tenma »

Norwegian wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:39 pm
Grigoris wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:31 pm
Simon E. wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:54 pm Perhaps the subject matter caused me to lose my sense of humour.
I never had the experience of being separated from my parents..or from my kids..but the idea of it happening to others saddens me deeply.
The idea that somebody with children is doing it to other children is even more bewildering...
That may be so.

But if we form the genuine wish that others suffer, that we wish that their children too should suffer, then we as Buddhist practitioners will generate a lot of negative karma, and we will have major obstacles that will block our own path. How can we have realization and liberation with such a view? It's impossible.

So while it is sad what others do, and what Trump in this case is doing is really sad, we should never form the wish and hope that they will suffer and that their children too will suffer. This is not the teaching of the Buddha.

We should instead have Bodhicitta. It never fails. It never disappoints.

Those who wish misery and suffering upon others will get misery and suffering in their own lives instead.
Did Hariti's child suffer?
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Norwegian,

:good:

Intentionally cultivating ill will towards anyone is committing one the 10 demeritorious actions, one of the only ones not pardonable by Bodhicitta. In fact, it breaks all three levels of vows: Pratimoksha, Bodhisatva, and Vajrayana.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
PSM

Post by PSM »

Norwegian wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:39 pm Those who wish misery and suffering upon others will get misery and suffering in their own lives instead.
Also, IIRC, this a karmic action is heavier made worse if someone knows that something is negative but does it anyway. You are working against the training which should be liberating your mind from negative emotions.
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

pemachophel wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:51 pm Norwegian,

Intentionally cultivating ill will towards anyone is committing one the 10 demeritorious actions, one of the only ones not pardonable by Bodhicitta. In fact, it breaks all three levels of vows: Pratimoksha, Bodhisatva, and Vajrayana.
And if the intention is for a greater good? Or is there a way between all this?
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

Tenma wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:34 pm
pemachophel wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:51 pm Norwegian,

And if the intention is for a greater good? Or is there a way between all this?
This doesn't make any sense whatsoever. If you are going to pray for something, you can pray that children stop being separated from their mothers, instead of praying that one child is separated from his mother so that maybe his father will suddenly change and stop separating children from their mothers.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

And on that, extremely intelligent, note...
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Prayers and Aspirations”