An Unusual Prayer...

Requesting and offering prayers and aspirations for those in need.
Tenma

An Unusual Prayer...

Post by Tenma »

So, we know that Trumps recently been separating children of immigrants from their parents. In Buddhism, the yakshini, Hariti, took away children front there parents by eating their children. Both Trump and Hariti have pained parents greatly by taking away their children.
In order to teach Hariti, the Buddha hid away her youngest child from her which causes her to give up her ways.
Could everyone begin praying to Hariti, Buddha, whomever, that Trump's current kid, Barron Trump, be kidnapped until this entire separation of immigrants' children is resolved? Just saying...
Aryjna

Re: An Unusual Prayer...

Post by Aryjna »

Tenma wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:08 am So, we know that Trumps recently been separating children of immigrants from their parents. In Buddhism, the yakshini, Hariti, took away children front there parents by eating their children. Both Trump and Hariti have pained parents greatly by taking away their children.
In order to teach Hariti, the Buddha hid away her youngest child from her which causes her to give up her ways.
Could everyone begin praying to Hariti, Buddha, whomever, that Trump's current kid, Barron Trump, be kidnapped until this entire separation of immigrants' children is resolved? Just saying...
That is a terrible idea.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

...because ...
3. "He abused me, he struck me, he overpowered me, he robbed me." Those who harbor such thoughts do not still their hatred.

4. "He abused me, he struck me, he overpowered me, he robbed me." Those who do not harbor such thoughts still their hatred.

5. Hatred is never appeased by hatred in this world. By non-hatred alone is hatred appeased. This is a law eternal.

Dhammapada 1, 3 -5
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .budd.html

:namaste:
Kim
PSM

Post by PSM »

Is this what practitioners spend their time fantasising about? Looks like no-one's safe from a neurotic obsession with politics. Jesus Christ.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Practitioners are people too.

:juggling:
Kim

BTW, who or what is a "Jesus Christ" ?
:tongue:
PSM

Post by PSM »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:00 pm Practitioners are people too.
Absolutely. I hope everyone realises that there can always be more love in the world. I hope everyone's grows in strength and stability.
BTW, who or what is a "Jesus Christ" ?
:tongue:
An exclamation inspired by exasperation.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Tenma wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:08 am So, we know that Trumps recently been separating children of immigrants from their parents. In Buddhism, the yakshini, Hariti, took away children front there parents by eating their children. Both Trump and Hariti have pained parents greatly by taking away their children.
Are you seriously suggesting that following the example of a colourful myth, that a young man.. little more than a child, should be included in the culpability of his father and abducted?
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Simon E. wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:18 pmAre you seriously suggesting that following the example of a colourful myth, that a young man.. little more than a child, should be included in the culpability of his father and abducted?
It'll be like a crash course in Lojong and Tonglen... Could work, you know...
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Barron Trump is 12 years old.
Therefore totally innocent of the decisions made by his deranged father. Just as innocent as those poor terrified kids separated from their families.

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Simon E. wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:34 pm Barron Trump is 12 years old.
Therefore totally innocent of the decisions made by his deranged father. Just as innocent as those poor terrified kids separated from their families.
Ummmmm... In cased you missed it: That was the exact point.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

Regardless of his innocence, it is probably a root downfall, or close to it, of all sets of vows (except maybe of the shravaka vows) to wish for that.
kausalya

Post by kausalya »

Tenma wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:08 am In order to teach Hariti, the Buddha hid away her youngest child from her which causes her to give up her ways.
The Buddha was able to do this because Hariti was intelligent enough to grasp his reasoning and convert her view, thus ending the possibility of further harm. The teaching given to Hariti can't be expected to work on anyone else, as that would require identical causes & conditions to be in place.
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Simon E. wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:18 pm
Are you seriously suggesting that following the example of a colourful myth, that a young man.. little more than a child, should be included in the culpability of his father and abducted?
How else are you going to fix It? I'm pretty sure his Heart is that of a wall and not going to change well. Look at the Supreme Court! They are justifying his actions against immigrants! Tell me, What is your plan if the Hariti plan supposedly doesn't work?
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Grigoris wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:34 pm
Really? Then I certainly did. But then I think we often talk past each other. For which I take responsibility.

Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Grigoris wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:34 pm
Yep! Hariti's youngest child having a mother who eats children, paining parents. Trump's child having a father who separates children from their parents, it's a perfect match alright!
Last edited by Grigoris on Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed dharani
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Simon E. wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:43 pmReally? Then I certainly did. But then I think we often talk past each other. For which I take responsibility.
It wasn't exactly my point, it was... Oh never mind... A joke ain't funny when you have to explain it. :smile:

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Perhaps the subject matter caused me to lose my sense of humour.
I never had the experience of being separated from my parents..or from my kids..but the idea of it happening to others saddens me deeply.

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Simon E. wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:54 pm Perhaps the subject matter caused me to lose my sense of humour.
I never had the experience of being separated from my parents..or from my kids..but the idea of it happening to others saddens me deeply.
The idea that somebody with children is doing it to other children is even more bewildering...

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Grigoris wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:31 pm
Simon E. wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:54 pm Perhaps the subject matter caused me to lose my sense of humour.
The idea that somebody with children is doing it to other children is even more bewildering...
That may be so.

But if we form the genuine wish that others suffer, that we wish that their children too should suffer, then we as Buddhist practitioners will generate a lot of negative karma, and we will have major obstacles that will block our own path. How can we have realization and liberation with such a view? It's impossible.

So while it is sad what others do, and what Trump in this case is doing is really sad, we should never form the wish and hope that they will suffer and that their children too will suffer. This is not the teaching of the Buddha.

We should instead have Bodhicitta. It never fails. It never disappoints.

Those who wish misery and suffering upon others will get misery and suffering in their own lives instead.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Aye..presumably he is unable to see that other parents would feel exactly as he would.

Return to “Prayers and Aspirations”