Feel like an interchangeable cog

Requesting and offering prayers and aspirations for those in need.
MiphamFan

Feel like an interchangeable cog

Post by MiphamFan »

I've been working for just under one and a half years now. In the beginning I was optimistic and thought I could balance work, practice of Dharma, exercise, and study. Gradually I got disillusioned.

At this point I feel like my talents are not being utilized and that this job just helps me save up money.

I want to make a positive difference in the world, like help reduce pollution in the oceans or spread sola power or something.

I do about half an hour of practice 2x a day. I am studying CS in my spare time and am thinking of applying for a masters and other options.
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Re: Feel like an interchangeable cog

Post by Wayfarer »

Don't feel bad. Work may be valuable in ways that aren't obvious, and besides, making an income is a practical necessity. I have been through many similar periods myself, on my son's birth certificate, father's occupation is listed as Taxi Driver. Man that was the ultimate boring pointless occupation, and I did it for ten years. A lot has happened since. So whatever it is you're stuck in, it won't last forever.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

MiphamFan wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:24 am I've been working for just under one and a half years now. In the beginning I was optimistic and thought I could balance work, practice of Dharma, exercise, and study. Gradually I got disillusioned.

At this point I feel like my talents are not being utilized and that this job just helps me save up money.

I want to make a positive difference in the world, like help reduce pollution in the oceans or spread sola power or something.

I do about half an hour of practice 2x a day. I am studying CS in my spare time and am thinking of applying for a masters and other options.
I will level with you: Work that enables you to directly help people often doesn't pay that well.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:31 am Work that enables you to directly help people often doesn't pay that well.
Almost never.
ford_truckin

Post by ford_truckin »

If is a job with good pay I would keep it and continue to save. With the money you have saved up you can put some towards saving the dolphins or what not.
MiphamFan

Post by MiphamFan »

Yeah I don't want to work for a charity. I want to work for a green startup or other kind of tech company working on problems that can really help the world.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

MiphamFan wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:39 am Yeah I don't want to work for a charity. I want to work for a green startup or other kind of tech company working on problems that can really help the world.
Dream on -- all our problems come from thinking technology can save us. All technology does is solve one problem only to replace it with another.

Attain realization, that will really solve many people's problems.

Return to “Prayers and Aspirations”