Zazen

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
shanyin

Zazen

Post by shanyin » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:36 am

How do I practice zazen? I have heard that focus on breathing meditation can be called samatha, jhana, mindfuless of breathing (anapanasati).

Is zazen sitting in lotus or half lotus and doing nothing?

passel

Re: Zazen

Post by passel » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:12 am

shanyin wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:36 am
How do I practice zazen? I have heard that focus on breathing meditation can be called samatha, jhana, mindfuless of breathing (anapanasati).

Read this to get started, when you forget what to do, go back and look at it again- the writer is a good teacher- I have done several sesshin (zen retreats) w him:

https://opendoorzencommunity.org/wp-con ... ischer.pdf

Then read this slowly. It’s fine if you don’t understand most of it- just work to make zazen a regular part of your day.

https://terebess.hu/zen/mesterek/Kobun.pdf

For now, just half Lotus w the breath in the belly as the focus- good posture healthy breathing. Don’t worry about doing nothing- that comes later.

If you like art or music or athletics or anything- keep doing that, it’s part of zen practice. Find other people who are interested if you can, and seek out practitioners who are senior to you at least periodically if you decide you want to go deeper w this path. Good luck!
"I have made a heap of all that I have met"- Svetonious

Emmet

Post by Emmet » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:38 am

I sit Burmese; this is essentially how I was taught:
Zazen instructions
And this was the instruction manual:
Fukanzazengi
May all beings plagued with sufferings of the body or mind be quickly freed of their illnesses.
May the frightened cease to be afraid, and may the bound go free.
May the powerless find power,
And may people think of befriending each other.

KeithA

Post by KeithA » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:08 pm

shanyin wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:36 am

The typical (excellent) advice is to find a Sangha/Teacher who can help you with your questions. If there isn't a suitable option nearby, there are online options available. But, I would suggest you even do a little research and be willing to travel a little to find help with your questions. A lot can be done in a little time in terms of setting you off in the right direction.

Good luck!

_/|\_
Keith

Emmet

Post by Emmet » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:35 pm

What Keith said.
There is nothing on-line or in books which will help you more than joining a real sangha and working with a teacher. The community of faith, the Sangha, is one of the Three Treasures of Buddhism; Buddhism was never intended to be practiced in isolation.
May all beings plagued with sufferings of the body or mind be quickly freed of their illnesses.
May the frightened cease to be afraid, and may the bound go free.
May the powerless find power,
And may people think of befriending each other.

shanyin

Post by shanyin » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:20 pm

As I have said, there is no Sangha, or Buddhist centre where I live.

Miroku

Post by Miroku » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:34 pm

Some sanghas like Kwan um Zen and I think Meido Moore's Rinzai sangha offer online sessions and instructions. Not sure but check it out. I'd trust both of them.

Edit: https://kwanumzen.org/online/
I might have been wrong about Meido... but can't tell where I got that idea.
Child, if you are not hypocritical and out of control, that is conduct.
~ Padampa Sangye

You say such clever things to people, but you do not apply them to yourself.
The faults within you are the ones to be exposed.
~ Padampa Sangye

Meido

Post by Meido » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:33 pm

Miroku wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:34 pm
...I think Meido Moore's Rinzai sangha offer online sessions and instructions...
Thanks for the mention. We had a basic zazen clip up at some point, but production value and sound weren't great. We're in the process of getting something better up as part of a new series. Will announce here when things start going up, probably will be in an open YouTube channel.

If someone is interested in the Rinzai take on things, the book in my sig has detailed basic zazen instructions.
It is relatively easy to accomplish the important matter of insight into one’s true nature, but uncommonly difficult to function freely and clearly [according to this understanding], in motion and in rest, in good and in adverse circumstances. Please make strenuous and vigorous efforts towards this end, otherwise all the teachings of Buddhas and patriarchs become mere empty words. - Torei

The Rinzai Zen Way: A Guide to Practice

Korinji Rinzai Zen Monastery [臨済宗 • 祖的山光林禅寺] - http://www.korinji.org

tingdzin

Post by tingdzin » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:47 am

I'll put on a plug for Meido's book -- it's extremely well done, and I wish I'd had it when I was starting out.

Return to “Meditation”