Non-Sitting Meditations

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
2ndchance

Non-Sitting Meditations

Post by 2ndchance » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:25 am

As I am now experiencing most terrible problems to my back areas, I am now practicing non-sitting meditation.

In effect, I try to meditate when lying down, when reading surfing the net, when typing on my iPhone, when eating and drinking, when talking, when urinating and defecating, etc.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
"Furthermore, when going forward & returning, he makes himself fully alert; when looking toward & looking away... when bending & extending his limbs... when carrying his outer cloak, his upper robe & his bowl... when eating, drinking, chewing, & savoring... when urinating & defecating... when walking, standing, sitting, falling asleep, waking up, talking, & remaining silent, he makes himself fully alert. And as he remains thus heedful, ardent, & resolute, any memories & resolves related to the household life are abandoned, and with their abandoning his mind gathers & settles inwardly, grows unified & centered. This is how a monk develops mindfulness immersed in the body.
I am wondering if anyone can link me to any threads which talk about everyday every second waking meditational awareness in non-sitting situations especially when going about doing your every day home and work duties.

SteRo

Re: Non-Sitting Meditations

Post by SteRo » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:39 am

Since you are referring to mindfulness with your quote and links ... Is your question how one is mindful continuously? That would be a strange question because there is no way other then being mindful of a particular frame of reference if one wants to practice mindfulness.

A useful question however might be whether all kinds of mindfulnesses, i.e. frames of reference, are be compatible with all kinds of everyday situations. E.g. when you refer to "when going about doing your every day home and work duties" but quote from a sutta that says "any memories & resolves related to the household life are abandoned" there might arise an incompatibility of the kind of mindfulness quoted with "doing your every day home and work duties".

if however contrary to your links and quote you are actually not aiming at mindfulness but to a particular meditative awareness that is other than mindfulness then the kind of meditation that causes this awareness would be decisive and then your question might be how to safeguard a particular meditation awareness so that it is present also in post-meditation phase. E.g. in case of emptiness meditation that would be equalizing meditation and post-meditation which may be an attainment on the path of arya-bodhisattvas and of course this attainment depends on classical meditation practice.
I do not have an idea what kind of awareness other than mindfulness you might be referring to ...

In summary, I don't understand what you are actually trying to get at, sorry.

2ndchance

Post by 2ndchance » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:07 pm

One of my most unaware unmindful “automatic” activities is eating.

As I was a draftee soldier before for a few years we were trained to eat quickly, shovel our foods into our mouths as quickly as possible, chew quickly and swallow quickly, all eating actions done in the most mindless most unaware “automatic” manner.

Just now, I slowly deliberately eat a tub of chocolate ice cream while trying to be most mindful most aware of my breathing, my hand scooping motions, my chewing, my tasting, my swallowing.

Without any “automatic” robotic movements like doing eating ice cream qigong.

Slow.

Deliberate.

Aware.

Mindful.

Breath.

I deliberately pause for a few seconds between each mouthful of ice cream while staring at a bottle of water sitting on the table in front of me and breathing at the same time.

My world got brighter as the light in my vision got brighter. I felt as though I entered into an alternate state of consciousness.

SteRo

Post by SteRo » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:05 pm

Maybe you're looking for such kinds of mindfulness practices?

Mindfulness through movement

and/or

Part 6 - Mindfulness Of Daily Activities
< Previous
parent: Appendix One
Next >

Mindfulness Meditation is Buddhas way of life.

Awareness of daily activities is the life of a yogi. Once the yogi fails to observe an activity he loses his life. That is, he is not a yogi, because he is devoid of sati, samadhi and panna.

Be mindful of each and every daily activity.

If you cannot be mindful of daily activities, do not expect progress.

Not noting daily activities leads to wide gaps of non mindfulness. Continuity is needed to carry mindfulness forward from one moment to the next.

The faculty of mindfulness (satindriya) of a yogi involves constant and uninterrupted mindfulness for the whole day.

Constant and uninterupted mindfulness gives rise to deep concentration. Only with deep concentration can one realize the intrinsic nature of mental and physical phenomenon, which leads one to the cessation of dukkha.

There are many new things to discover everyday if you have constant and uninterrupted mindfulness.

During a retreat, all you have to do is to be mindful. You need not hurry.

The Venerable Mahasi Sayadaw compared a meditator to a sick person who moves about very slowly.

Doing things extremely slowly makes your mind concentrated . If you intend to achieve something in your meditation, you must get accustomed to slowing down.

When a fan is turning fast, you cannot see it as it really is. If it is turning slowly, then you can do so. So you will have to slow down to be able to see clearly the mental and physical processes as they really are.

When you are surrounded by people who are doing things in a rush, you must be oblivious to the surroundings and energetically note any mental or physical activity.

Talking is a greater danger to the progress of insight.

Five minutes talk can wreck a yogis concentration for the whole day.

Do not read, recite or recollect. They are hindrances to your meditation progress.
https://www.wisdomlib.org/buddhism/book ... c1369.html

kusulu

Post by kusulu » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:30 pm

I do all these:
1. while sitting
2. while lying down
3. while standing
4. while walking
5. while doing yoga
6. while doing qigong
7. while doing light, repetitive chores

Sitting cross-legged is not the only way to sit. In some traditions, like in the Zendo, uniformity with the group is expected. In which case alternatives are harder to negotiate, it depends on the group and it's practice. I find a heated fake leather car-seat to excellent. But elsewhere it's suggested sitting straight on the edge of a chair is better. Which is great, unless you are actually confined to a car as the only seclusion obtainable at that moment (work-break for example).

So the other question here, is mindfulness while in the midst of activity the same practice as while at rest in a static position? I would say no, it probably isn't. But in my book, which position is more about logistics the efficacy.

Return to “Meditation”