Gyelwa Karmapa's Guru Yoga

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
Kenron

Gyelwa Karmapa's Guru Yoga

Post by Kenron » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:57 pm

Hi all, anyone know how many Karmapa(s) got their own guru yoga practice ? And if not all of them then why some didn't got written their guru yoga practice ?

conebeckham

Re: Gyelwa Karmapa's Guru Yoga

Post by conebeckham » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:12 pm

The most popular Guru Yoga practices in Kamtsang, with Karmapa as central figure, are the Thun Zhi Lamai Naljor with Mikyo Dorje, the Pakshi LaDrup with Karma Pakshi, and the Guru Yoga of the 16th Karmapa, Rangjung Rigpai Dorje, written by himself. There's also one, I think, recently written, for the first Karmapa, DuSum Khyenpa, which I believe was written by 17th Gyalwa Karmapa for the KAgyu Monlam a few years back.

I can't answer the second part of your question, but I will only say these practices are all to be understood as the manifestation of all Karmapas, even though they appear as specific forms, and in fact, the main Ngondro Guru Yoga can also be seen to represent every manifestation of the Karmapa, as well.

Karmapa Khyenno!
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

Kenron

Post by Kenron » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:48 pm

Thanks, i just found that there is also a short guru yoga on the 17th Karmapa at http://the17thkarmapa.blogspot.fr/2013/ ... -root.html so it will be five for now.

Anders

Post by Anders » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:55 pm

Maybe someone can explain to me - How exactly can you do guru yoga with someone who isn't your guru?
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"

--- Gandavyuha Sutra

Kenron

Post by Kenron » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:04 pm

Hi Anders, from my point of view it could be a kind of "belief" based on faith which is also growing when we read the writtings of all this masters (that's why i am surprise that there isn't a practice for the 3rd Karmapa because he also wrote so wonderful texts) it's a kind of "wish" to be connected to him or them, in fact i guess we could apply your question to any practice starting from refuge to yidam and other yogas practices.

NB: sorry for my broken english (i am french)

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:36 pm

Anders wrote:Maybe someone can explain to me - How exactly can you do guru yoga with someone who isn't your guru?
I think that prior to Tibet, Guru Yoga was a stage of practice in one's sadhana, and the "guru" (Whoever he or she may have been) was seen as the yidam deity, or perhaps as Vajradhara, or Vajradharma, etc.

In general, in Sarma traditions from Tibet, the generic Vajradhara is all one's gurus, condensed, but especially one's root guru, whoever that may be. So, if one understands that the "form" of Vajradhara represents a sort of "authentic guru principle," it's not too hard to understand how, for example, a guru yoga practice based on, say, Second Karmapa could also represent that sort of "Authentic Guru Principle."

In Nyingma tradition, most often Padmasambhava is depicted as the representation of one's personal guru, these days. Same basic idea applies--we're not talking about the "flesh and blood" guru, though there is, or should be, no contradiction between that conception of the guru--as a human being, appearing in front of us, teaching in words and gestures, etc.--and the other levels of understanding regarding the "reality" of the Guru--the 3 Kayas, wisdoms, etc.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")

Anders

Post by Anders » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:56 pm

"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"

--- Gandavyuha Sutra

Karma_Yeshe

Post by Karma_Yeshe » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:03 am

There is also a Guru-Yoga with the 15th Karmapa.

redvarahi

Post by redvarahi » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:53 am

There is a new and first translation of the 'Heart Essence of the Profound Meaning Guru Yoga' for Third Karmapa by Jamyang Khyentse Chokyi Lodro on this website here. The translator has also listed some of the other guru yogas on the Karmapa (some of which are translated, some which are not).

https://www.shentongkalacakra.com/2020/ ... se-wangpo/

There is a section on the website about the Karmapa including translations of supplications and praises to the Karmapa as well.

https://www.shentongkalacakra.com/gyalwang-karmapa/

ཨེ་མ་ཧོ།

སངས་རྒྱས་ཀུན་གྱི་སྐུ་གཅིག་པུ༎ བདག་མེད་སེང་གེའི་སྒྲ་དང་ལྡན༎

མུ་སྟེགས་རི་དྭགས་སྐྲག་མཛད་པ༎ རང་བྱུང་རྡོ་རྗེར་ཕྱག་འཚལ་བསྟོད༎

Emaho!

Single embodiment of all Buddhas

Whose ‘selfless’ lion’s roar

Terrifies extremists and wild beasts

I prostrate and praise Rangjung Dorje [3rd Karmapa]!
(–Excerpt from Guru Yoga on 3rd Karmapa by Chokyi Lodro (Translated and edited by Adele Tomlin, Dakini Publications, June 2020)).

Return to “Meditation”