How do you meditate?

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
Jim1

Re: How do you meditate?

Post by Jim1 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:37 pm

Simon E. wrote:Find a Buddhist teacher from a recognised lineage.
Listen to her/him. In the flesh. Forget books. Forget tapes and videos.
Strive to actualise what you hear.
Keep it up despite setbacks, distractions and even apparent success.

Continue for the rest of your life.
Yeah that's probably the kind of real commitment that I need to make. Was hoping the books and online Buddhist forums would be enough(since Asheville is a far drive for me), but I guess you're probably right. Thanks a lot for the input, and again to all of you.

Can't believe this thread is still going.
"He who walks in the eightfold noble path with unswerving determination is sure to reach Nirvana." Buddha

joy&peace

Post by joy&peace » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:08 am

No, no, hahaha
ah,

don't drive.

All life is one, you can experience this at anytime, all the resources are available in the here and now, and you can access many dozens of enlightened masters' teachings; when you hear their voice you are with them,

when you touch the earth you are with them,

all the universe is Buddha-nature, there is nothing that is not the nembetsu.
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha

Jim1

Post by Jim1 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:03 am

My man.

Thanks man, that's a relief.. don't have to drive all the way to Asheville every week now!

Just today I checked out The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching by Thich Nhat Hanh from the library. So I'm ready to get serious here even without a real life teacher in front of me.
"He who walks in the eightfold noble path with unswerving determination is sure to reach Nirvana." Buddha

Dan74
Founding Member

Post by Dan74 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:16 am

I think Simon's advice is sound. It can be extremely helpful to have some contact with a real teacher. Such has been my experience and that's what most if not all, traditions teach.

Initially you could write to a teacher and visit later, for instance. I know a Turkish lady who had kept contact with an American Zen teacher via Skype and emails.

Of course history has also known amazing people who've reached a level if realisation without a teacher but they are very rare. It is far more likely to wander off course, misunderstand and misuse the teachings.

All the best!!!

_/|\_

Jim1

Post by Jim1 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:06 am

Yep, I was afraid someone would come along and say, "No James, you really do need a real life teacher to get anywhere with this.. just reading Thich Nhat Hanh and posting on some Buddhist forums is not gonna cut it."

No, I definitely know you mean well Dan and I do greatly appreciate your input on this. I'll have to research the situation in Asheville now and see what my options are. If I can't find anything that looks good(that I can go to maybe once a week) then I'll do your plan B and try to find a reasonably priced Buddhist teacher who will teach me via skype. But I'll find some real teacher here one way or the other.

joy&peace

Post by joy&peace » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:43 am

why?

simply communicate with the sun and moon and the universe directly.

“If you are unable to find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?”
-Dogen

The practice in Zen of going up to the mountain, but then coming back to the village.

Mila, who says, "go to the lowest, and you'll see the highest,"

and also says the very best thing you can do is live in a cave, with a single cloth garment,

and the next best is to be a wondering monk,

and the next is to have a hut outside of town, living a renounced life,

etc. etc.

and the way they live is very non-burdensome to the earth. .

we are losing 40-50 species a day; and as an american i'm largely responsible, so i really have made the change, or a big one; in consumption...reducing..

still it is a very small step i know.. it's all good though;

but since we are losing so many, it can hardly be said to be responsible to be driving around for no reason;

what so you can get their teachings? their dharma?

hundreds of talks of many qualified teachers are available online. . .check out hanh, tara and gil fronsdal; honestly if you listen to a couple of their dharma talks i expect that you will know what i mean how effective their insight is. .. people who devote their whole life to practice and compassion and so forth. . it is really beyond words how wonderful it is.. was.. eventually there's no need for any dharma talks anymore. . .

chant amitabha,' namo amituofo, namu amida-butsu, namo aryavalokitesvara, om mani peme hung, tayatha om bekandze, bekandze maha bekandze, randzu samugate svaha,

om tare tuttare ture svaha,

om shanti,

heart sutra, various sutras, Nam myoho renge kyo;

dozens of other mantras. .. and study up on them. ..

even the quotes page here on pure land was enough info. . to know it if you chant; and check out other resources, read Shinran,

Delve into the sutras, work on signing and memorizing the heart sutra (if you like to sing, even if you do not!)

meditate and practice the 4 types of meditation: sitting, walking, standing and lying down,

simply follow your heart above all,

seng ts'an expressed it so well in hsin hsin ming;

there's no coming or going, when trust in the mind are one, or not two;

and so forth, that's the entirety in a sense. . .

strange, but very true.

“Nothing can be gained by extensive study and wide reading. Give them up immediately.”

I say that ^ but reading Dogen, Milarepa, Hanh, some others i'm sure, the heart sutra, various sutras, or other things certainly is okay; one shouldn't put up a block about any practice, if that was the goal.

My point is a; there's nothing to gain or understand outside of you; there's nothing outside of you that you need; since there's nothing outside of you that you ever need, for me to tell you there is something outside of you that you need, like a guru, I would be misleading you astray; it's all with you right here and right now.

Again Dogen,

“If you want to travel the Way of Buddhas and Zen masters, then expect nothing, seek nothing, and grasp nothing.”

And Mila again, saying, "Fly like an eagle, never falling into a hole."

It should just be as natural as that.

Anyway, since we are losing so many a day - quite literally 40-50, I can't say it's more important to try to save yourself; learn the dharma from the dharma, and from the universe, and from your heart, and from your good teachers,

Thay, Dogen, Milarepa, Bankei, Bassui, so many others; hundreds of others..

joy&peace

Post by joy&peace » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:45 am

double^

Jim1

Post by Jim1 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:35 pm

Hey buddy. Yeah I'm sure you're right that it's not good for the environment to drive all the way to Asheville once a week if I don't have to.. The negative Karma would probably outweigh any benefits that I might gain from the teachings.

So I'll ask around a little(here) and see if there's anything close, I doubt it though. And if not then I'll still try to find someone(qualified) who is teaching via skype. I'll figure something out, and thank you all again for your valuable input! :)

Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:09 pm

zamzamzam wrote:Do you know any good books about meditating?
The Attention Revolution by Alan Watts
Bhavanakrama trilogy by Kamalashila
Bodhicaryavatara by Shantideva
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།

Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:12 pm

Yes!

avisitor

Post by avisitor » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:46 am

Follow the advice of one's teacher on the practice or method used
The practice should follow ... scatter mind ... concentrated mind ... unified mind ... open mind
Wish one an open mind to learn

philji

Post by philji » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:08 pm

Check out Introduction to MeditAtion. ,a free online meditation course by Mingyur Rinpoche, a great yogi and master. On tergar learning website. You wil be surprised how simple it is. Maybe too simple for our complicated minds.

Punya

Post by Punya » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:21 pm

How to meditate: A practical guide by Kathleen McDonald http://www.wisdompubs.org/book/how-to-meditate
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche

Return to “Meditation”