Question about Kuji in/Mudra?

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
ShineeSeoul

Re: Question about Kuji in/Mudra?

Post by ShineeSeoul » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:24 pm

Saoshun wrote:Kuji have origins from india so it's before buddhist and all that things.
May be..though Hindus doesn't seem practicing it, or there is any reference they have done before?

ShineeSeoul

Post by ShineeSeoul » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:39 pm

Ayu wrote:But it didn't develop to buddhism, did I understand that right? "Esoteric Buddhism" is just a wrong modern lable, isn't it?

Sorry, ShineeSeoul: What tradition is this? Who is that teacher? Is this original Buddhadharma? Did Buddha teach this? These questions are always relevant and fundamental in buddhism or at least on a buddhist board. If it is called buddhism, it should have it's base in Buddhadharma and not somewhere else.
why esoteric Buddhsim wrong modern lable?

the reason I am saying its not topic here, because thats long story...I believe my self its from Buddhism, though many disagree here..I did post some links refering to this issue before, if you unconvinced, then leave it to other to answer it....again my thread is about who practice Kuji In among Buddhist today, thats it

ShineeSeoul

Post by ShineeSeoul » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:40 pm

Seishin wrote:From the looks of his Youtube channel, he is a self proclaimed exorcist.

phpBB [video]
Esoteric Buddhist usually do practice exorcism? more often than other Buddhist

Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:18 pm

All forms of Buddhism have some form of exorcism, but that is not what I was alluding to. This guy seems to blend various 'practices', most of which are not Buddhist IMO.

DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:37 pm

There is a shamanistic tradition in Korea that is different from Buddhist traditions there. I don't know much about it except that divination (fortune-telling) and exorcism are part of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_shamanism

I suspect that our friend with the YouTube channel is attempting to do this kind of practice in some way.

DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:39 pm

Sometimes we use the word "esoteric Buddhism" to describe practices that are similar to Vajrayana (Mikkyo...), in part because the word "Vajrayana" isn't really appropriate.

Some think "esoteric Buddhism" is an OK label, and some think it is not. I don't know what the best usage is. :shrug:

theanarchist

Post by theanarchist » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:51 pm

ShineeSeoul wrote: as a convert Buddhist,:

If you are a new convert, I would suggest you study buddhist basics like the noble 8 fold path and shamata meditation.

Mudras are a fringe subject, particularly if you are currently not practicing tantric buddhism, it's not a topic that should bother a beginner.
Last edited by theanarchist on Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theanarchist

Post by theanarchist » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:55 pm

ShineeSeoul wrote:
If you define an action that counteracts negativity as an exorcism, then any buddhist techique acts as an exorcism, even shamata or metta meditation.

ShineeSeoul

Post by ShineeSeoul » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:36 am

Jikan wrote:There is a shamanistic tradition in Korea that is different from Buddhist traditions there. I don't know much about it except that divination (fortune-telling) and exorcism are part of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_shamanism

I suspect that our friend with the YouTube channel is attempting to do this kind of practice in some way.
esoteric buddhism usually mix buddhism with some local practices and belifes...like shingon in japan, which mix buddhism with shintoism...in korea seems same, they mix shamanism with buddhism by esoteric practitioner

i still don't understand why mudra is usually associated with esoteric buddhism though

ShineeSeoul

Post by ShineeSeoul » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:38 am

theanarchist wrote:
ShineeSeoul wrote: as a convert Buddhist,:

If you are a new convert, I would suggest you study buddhist basics like the noble 8 fold path and shamata meditation.

Mudras are a fringe subject, particularly if you are currently not practicing tantric buddhism, it's not a topic that should bother a beginner.
i have already studied these things..i am not tantric practitioner...but i like kuji in practice and decided to include it with my Seon practices

ShineeSeoul

Post by ShineeSeoul » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:40 am

theanarchist wrote:
ShineeSeoul wrote:
If you define an action that counteracts negativity as an exorcism, then any buddhist techique acts as an exorcism, even shamata or metta meditation.
will...thats what the poster has said and i simply replaying

ShineeSeoul

Post by ShineeSeoul » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:41 am

Jikan wrote:Sometimes we use the word "esoteric Buddhism" to describe practices that are similar to Vajrayana (Mikkyo...), in part because the word "Vajrayana" isn't really appropriate.

Some think "esoteric Buddhism" is an OK label, and some think it is not. I don't know what the best usage is. :shrug:
well, terms doesn't matter as long as the meaning is there

ShineeSeoul

Post by ShineeSeoul » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:59 am

I did found on one of the videos of this Korean pracitioner an image of Acala Vidyaraja or Fudo myoo..who is usually appear in shingon or tendai buddhism..it seems to me like he is practicing some sort of mix between shingon and korean shamanism...or may be this is how esoteric Buddhism in Korea?

Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:02 am

Maybe the only problem is to call it Buddhism? I don't know. But decent practioners told you their opinion in this thread before.
For the benefit and ease of all sentient beings. :heart:

ShineeSeoul

Post by ShineeSeoul » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:28 am

Ayu wrote:Maybe the only problem is to call it Buddhism? I don't know. But decent practioners told you their opinion in this thread before.
Ok thats their opinion..not absolute fact...many out there who disagree...thats why this thread is very benficial for the one who is looking for Kuji In..its present it from different angle

Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:06 am

So you are trying to advertize for a group you don't even know?
For the benefit and ease of all sentient beings. :heart:

ShineeSeoul

Post by ShineeSeoul » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:22 am

Ayu wrote:So you are trying to advertize for a group you don't even know?
who is group? this thread is for Kuji In in Buddhism...this is very clear..simple as that

Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:34 am

Then maybe this thread should be merged with the other Kuji In threads? :shrug:

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... hilit=kuji
http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... uji#p36763

ShineeSeoul

Post by ShineeSeoul » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:41 am

Seishin wrote:Then maybe this thread should be merged with the other Kuji In threads? :shrug:

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... hilit=kuji
http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... uji#p36763
I was looking particularly on Buddhists today who practice Kuji In, rather then intending to debate about whether its buddhist or not..but it seems no body here have really knowledge regarding my main question

Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:42 am

We have knowledge, but you have chosen to ignore that knowledge because it's not what you want to hear.

Return to “Meditation”