Does Chan/Seon/Zen practice mudra?

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
ShineeSeoul

Re: Does Chan/Seon/Zen practice mudra?

Post by ShineeSeoul » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:29 pm

I forget to ask what is the name of the mudra, the monk in the video is doing?

Meido

Post by Meido » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:33 pm

ShineeSeoul wrote:thanks...it seems mudra in zen or seon depend highly on the teacher, rather than being essential part of it like in vajrayana for example
Well, in Zen once one has entered into the relationship all practice depends 100% on the teacher. The only essential thing is the entrance of seeing one's nature: the teacher's fundamental job is to transmit that recognition through various (any) means, and then to prescribe appropriate subsequent practices based upon it.

Others might comment regarding what is essential/indispensable in vajrayana.

~ Meido
It is relatively easy to accomplish the important matter of insight into one’s true nature, but uncommonly difficult to function freely and clearly [according to this understanding], in motion and in rest, in good and in adverse circumstances. Please make strenuous and vigorous efforts towards this end, otherwise all the teachings of Buddhas and patriarchs become mere empty words. - Torei

The Rinzai Zen Way: A Guide to Practice

Korinji Rinzai Zen Monastery [臨済宗 • 祖的山光林禅寺] - http://www.korinji.org

ShineeSeoul

Post by ShineeSeoul » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:36 pm

Meido wrote:
ShineeSeoul wrote:thanks...it seems mudra in zen or seon depend highly on the teacher, rather than being essential part of it like in vajrayana for example
Well, in Zen once one has entered into the relationship all practice depends 100% on the teacher. The only essential thing is the entrance of seeing one's nature: the teacher's fundamental job is to transmit that recognition through various (any) means, and then to prescribe appropriate subsequent practices based upon it.

Others might comment regarding what is essential/indispensable in vajrayana.

~ Meido
Thanks for information

I didn't know that zen also have a relationship between student and monk as the vajrayana known to

Meido

Post by Meido » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:44 pm

You're welcome.
ShineeSeoul wrote:I didn't know that zen also have a relationship between student and monk as the vajrayana known to
"Direct transmission outside the scriptures, not depending upon words/letters" essentially means that the lifeblood of Zen is realized in encounter and relationship between people. These words are sometimes taken to mean that Zen rejects texts or conceptual understanding, which is completely mistaken.

People also think that the question of the historicity of lineage charts is somehow an important issue to practitioners, when it is not at all since (however and through whomever it arrived to the present day) the thread of transmission between individuals is concretely experienced and revealed physically through various things.

~ Meido
It is relatively easy to accomplish the important matter of insight into one’s true nature, but uncommonly difficult to function freely and clearly [according to this understanding], in motion and in rest, in good and in adverse circumstances. Please make strenuous and vigorous efforts towards this end, otherwise all the teachings of Buddhas and patriarchs become mere empty words. - Torei

The Rinzai Zen Way: A Guide to Practice

Korinji Rinzai Zen Monastery [臨済宗 • 祖的山光林禅寺] - http://www.korinji.org

ShineeSeoul

Post by ShineeSeoul » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:40 am

Meido wrote:You're welcome.
ShineeSeoul wrote:I didn't know that zen also have a relationship between student and monk as the vajrayana known to
"Direct transmission outside the scriptures, not depending upon words/letters" essentially means that the lifeblood of Zen is realized in encounter and relationship between people. These words are sometimes taken to mean that Zen rejects texts or conceptual understanding, which is completely mistaken.

People also think that the question of the historicity of lineage charts is somehow an important issue to practitioners, when it is not at all since (however and through whomever it arrived to the present day) the thread of transmission between individuals is concretely experienced and revealed physically through various things.

~ Meido
Thanks

ShineeSeoul

Post by ShineeSeoul » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:58 pm

Does any body have any idea about the types of mudra practice in zen or seon buddhism?
including the one in the video

Thanks

DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:37 am

The easiest and best way to find the answer to your question:

1. Step away from the internet for a moment.

2. Go to a Zen temple.

3. Introduce yourself and begin asking questions as appropriate.

4. Come back to the internet. It's a good place to see pictures of cats, but not a good place to learn mantra & mudra practice.

rory

Post by rory » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:13 am

Jikan; he lives in an Islamic country, don't think it's that easy for him...
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/

DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:07 pm

Oh, I see. I apologize for confusing you with someone else, ShineeSeoul. My last post was not appropriate or helpful to you. Thank you, rory, for pointing this out.

Unfortunately, if you want to learn about mantra and mudra practice, you do need a relationship with a capable teacher, in person. Similarly, if you want to practice Zen, you need to meet a teacher, in person, and practice under his or her direction.

This means you will need to travel.

I recommend going to the General forum here at DharmaWheel to ask for resources for people to learn Buddhism and start practice who are in your situation. There are many valuable teachings given by webcast these days. This is a helpful resource for someone who is isolated from other practitioners.

I wish you all the best.

Return to “Meditation”