Is this chakra? Please help.

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
lotus flower

Is this chakra? Please help.

Post by lotus flower » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:02 pm

Hello everybody. I am a theravada buddhist but since vayrajana and zen buddhists maybe know more about chakras i tell my story here and i ask you.

At old times i felt a strange feeling in the navel it was like an inner itching and the feeling came up a many times. Later it didn't came back.

More than one week ago during samatha meditation i felt an itching feeling on the navel and around the navel... It was inner itching. This feeling came into my everyday life. Sometimes i feel it. This feeling disturb my meditation very much and i can not relax easyli. I meditated in sitting position but i turned into lying down meditations because get relaxed is more easy in lying. I have the feeling more often in meditation than in the dayli life. It is interesting. I have no pain, only an inner itching feeling. The feeling started in sitting samatha meditation. Is this possible that it is an opened chakra what i feel??? And how could this disturbing feeling disapear? Thanks a lot for the answers. Metta.

SeeLion

Re: Is this chakra? Please help.

Post by SeeLion » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:30 pm

Could be more things, but what it probably is - your mind focusing too strongly on your belly (maybe without you being aware of it).

It's a bit difficult to give a solution, since I don't know your mind, but I will try some suggestions:

- don't disturb the itch (I'll post the story below to explain)

- always do metta before samatha (include your itch in the metta), and do more metta and less samatha - for a while

- when you meditate, focus on the whole breath, not only the abdomen, try to find a more "general" focus on the breath going through your whole body, instead of a concentrated focus on the abdomen

If my assumption is right, this is just a bad habit, which like all bad habits can take some time to get rid of.

The Story: There was a monastery near a village and the monks had to get up early every morning at 3 am. Problem was the villagers were making a lot of noise, they had parties and loud music late in the night up to 2 am. So the monks could not sleep.
The monks try to tell to the villagers to keep the noise down, but the villagers don't listen to them. So the monks go to the abbot of the monastery, Ajahn Chah, and ask him to talk to the villagers, because they respect him so much and they will probably listen to him.

The head monk replies: "Monks, it is not the noise disturbing you, it is you disturbing the noise."

In other words don't react mentally, don't fight the disturbances, but embrace them.

lotus flower

Post by lotus flower » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:45 pm

Thanks See Lion. i will try to take your advices. In my meditation i focus on the breathing in the nose and later i focus on the following states (nimitta and later focus on the empty space when the nimitta disappear.) It is samatha. There is no focus on the abdomen.

I focused on the up and down moving of the abdomen only sometimes. (it is called vipassana - insight meditation)

So i don't understand what is the problem but i will try to take your advice.

Ayu
Former staff member

Post by Ayu » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:09 pm

I had something similar, not exactly the same.
I think it was a matter of chakras, it was some kind of cleansing process, but also for me it was very disturbing. A change of the meditation, like See Lion suggested, could be a skillful means. For me it was good to change something in order to lose this habit, and to work with it on the other hand. I had to observe when and why it occured and I found out many things...
With time and patience the phenomenon ceased.
I would ask a teacher face to face. That time I had no opportunity to do so, and that was a pity.
I have decided to stick with love.
Hate is too great a burden to bear.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. -

passel

Post by passel » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:33 pm

See what you can learn from it. It's really no big deal, you don't need to slap a label on it. There's a story, from Milarepa I think?, that the unusual experiences that come about due to meditation are like pressing on your eyeball and seeing a double image. Some people will think when they are seeing something unusual that it is a terrible problem, others will think they are experiencing a great blessing or even enlightenment. This interior tickle is just a product of the meditation and nothing to get worked up about. It was either there and unnoticed because your awareness wasn't sharp enough, or it is a sort of waking up of latent feeling enabled by the work you are doing, or some combination of the two. It's harmless. Remember that "meditation experiences ("nyam" in Tibetan) are like mist: they vanish with the dawn. Be like a baby in the Louvre- you see everything, but casually. They baby sees all the colors and forms but doesn't really give a shit, it just has a general, free-floating curiosity.

By way of context, helpful to keep in mind that many zen yogis and some Tibetan ones make a practice of resting bodily awareness at the belly center ("hara" in Japanese, or "tanden"; "dan tien" in Chinese) in and out of formal meditation, and regard this as a very healthful form of breathing. Just a little research will give you plenty to work with, maybe Shodo Harada Roshi and Tsoknyi Rinpoche would be good resources. Some Theravadins also work with breath energy at the belly- Ajahn Lee if I remember correctly, and I think Ajahn Jumnien? and of course Mahasi-style practitioners.

Your body wants to get in on the act of meditation; let it, it's perfectly natural. Cultivate relaxation in your sitting practice and out of it. Follow the 8th Karmapa's advice: "relax like a baby with a full belly". You don't need to get into speculation about kundalini and chakras and all that. It's really not important at this stage in the game, and overthinking this stuff is not all that helpful.

You could always stop meditating for a while if it disturbs you. Or decide you want to hold on to it, then it's sure to go away!
"I have made a heap of all that I have met"- Svetonious

passel

Post by passel » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:39 pm

This book is a treasure and you could probably find tons of helpful advice in it:

http://forestsanghapublications.org/vie ... 12&ref=vec

Ajahn Sucitto comes out of the Thai Forest tradition, so he will have a somewhat different take on the Theravada than what you may be used to, but I think you will find a lot of overlap as well. Good luck!

lotus flower

Post by lotus flower » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:41 pm

Thanks a lot. With much metta.

gloriasteinem

Post by gloriasteinem » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:34 am

For me its an energy feeling, I don't know if chakra related. You feel your energy moving but of course you shouldn't focus.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:52 am

Consult a Buddhist teacher from a recognised lineage, who is in good standing with that lineage.

Online discussions are not a suitable response to this kind of query.
If you use the word 'mind' without defining your terms I will ask you politely for a definition. :smile:
This is not to be awkward. But it's really not self-explanatory.

lotus flower

Post by lotus flower » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:47 pm

gloriasteinem wrote:For me its an energy feeling, I don't know if chakra related. You feel your energy moving but of course you shouldn't focus.
From where do you know? Did you experienced the same or similar?

catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:55 pm

First things first. We need to eliminate physical causes.

Are you very overweight? Have you gained or lost a lot of weight lately?
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.

lotus flower

Post by lotus flower » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:59 am

catmoon wrote:First things first. We need to eliminate physical causes.

Are you very overweight? Have you gained or lost a lot of weight lately?
Only little overweight. I lost some weight but it happened some years ago.

lotus flower

Post by lotus flower » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:21 am

The feeling became weaker. I can meditate in sitting, the feeling is weaker and doesn't disturb so much.

passel

Post by passel » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:44 am

I'm glad- really nothing to worry about, these things happen all the time. Be well!

Return to “Meditation”