Cravings

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
Iconoclast

Cravings

Post by Iconoclast » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:14 am

When meditating tonight I had a strong desire for meat, red meat. Has this happened to you and how did you deal with it? I'm not a vegetarian or anything and have different kinds of meat throughout the week it was just a weird experience.

Thank you
"Keep on working in this nothingness that is nowhere..."

"Cast aside cares, strip yourself from thoughts, and abandon your body; for prayer is nothing other than detachment from the visible and invisible world."

Wayfarer
Global Moderator

Re: Cravings

Post by Wayfarer » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:39 am

These things come up when you're meditating. I wouldn't attribute too much importance to it, although they can sometimes be very vivid. 'Ah, a craving'.
Only practice with no gaining idea ~ Suzuki Roshi

SeeLion

Post by SeeLion » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:10 am

It really depends what kind of meditation you're doing.

When you learn a method of meditation, there are instructions for dealing with stuff.

Iconoclast

Post by Iconoclast » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:31 pm

I'm just sitting for 10 min intervals and breathing. When my mind latches on to a subject or topic I just go back to watching my breathing.

"Cast aside cares, strip yourself from thoughts, and abandon your body; for prayer is nothing other than detachment from the visible and invisible world."

SeeLion

Post by SeeLion » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:53 pm

That's a pretty straightforward approach, and that's where your answer is: the second the craving pops up, just go back to breathing.

Happens to me sometimes aswell that I think about the coming lunch or dinner. So I don't really see where the weirdness of your experience lays.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:49 pm

Iconoclast wrote:When meditating tonight I had a strong desire for meat, red meat. Has this happened to you and how did you deal with it? I'm not a vegetarian or anything and have different kinds of meat throughout the week it was just a weird experience.

Thank you

For Shamatha meditation, you just gently return to your object (breath in this case) and keep going. It might be that you already had these sorts of cravings going on, but previously were not able to be this aware of them. The analogy sometimes used for Shamatha is peeling an onion, and now you get down to another layer, and clearly you see this desire for meat, or whatever.

There are other ways of dealing with cravings of course, but as far as Shamatha goes the standard thing is "notice and return" as i've been taught.
"it must be coming from the mouthy mastermind of raunchy rapper, Johnny Dangerous”

-Jeff H.

Iconoclast

Post by Iconoclast » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:10 pm

Thanks folks.

mindglobe

Post by mindglobe » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:52 am

Maybe it was something related to energy spent. You were relaxing too much while meditating, or maybe you were trying to overcome a stressful moment by meditating, so you spent e bit of energy. This energy loss brought you the necessity to eat. So your thoughts went directly to meat, which is probably a food you like.
Mind Globe | Self Improvement, Mental Health and Meditation Blog. :heart:

Return to “Meditation”