What do you wear while meditating?

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.

Martial arts suit
No votes
Robes
6%
Yoga Pants
6%
Jeans and T shirt
44%
Other
44%

Total votes: 16

Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

I'm curious what does everyone wear while meditating both at home and in the centre.

You can vote for multiple options and change your vote :namaste:

Oops sorry I should add if you choose other, what do you mean by other?
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ
philji

Re: What do you wear while meditating?

Post by philji »

Always go for this kind of look.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (309.49 KiB) Viewed 1712 times
Footsteps

Post by Footsteps »

We wore meditation jackets in the monastery, but not the full garb of the ordained monks. We were given meditation pants to keep for ourselves and the jackets belonged to the monastery. For new comers who had not attained membership status, it was advised that they wear loose fitting clothing of neutral colors. Loud colored clothing was not permitted in the meditation hall...except for one occasion...There was a period of time where they had me wear an orange/ochre robe that belonged to the one of the monastics while undergoing training in Korea. It was an initiatory/probationary period type of thing...and really put me at odds with the rest of the sangha(the abbot instructing you to break what is perceived as zendo dress code ruffles a few feathers). When Japanese monks joined us in meditation, they wore their traditional garb, black robes(our temple had a relation with a Japanese temple...sometimes our members would practice there and sometimes their monks would come visit and practice with us).

I kept the pants for a year or two after leaving and cared for them as I was told monks do, patching them as necessary. I travelled over 5000 miles with those pants and they quickly were covered in patches. After a couple of years I realized the pants signified an internal attachment to the monastery. For that reason, I believe I either buried them or burned them to end the attachment.

Loose fitting clothing has sense become a general guideline for meditation, especially formal meditation, but when one needs to meditate they are not always afforded an opportunity to change their clothing. So what went from the general guideline of loose fitting clothing for meditation, eventually became "whatever I was wearing at the time." And that's what I wear when I meditate now. Whatever I'm wearing when the need for meditation arises.
"Don't interrupt the mountains or the lake."
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

philji wrote:Always go for this kind of look.
Oh my ... :shock: :emb: :applause: :good:

Well I honestly usually just wear my shorts and shirt. Sometimes I get rid of the shirt and meditate shirtless. But for some reason I never meditate without pants when I do some vajrayana transformation. I probably feel shy in front of deities. :)
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra

Return to “Meditation”