breathing faster

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
firefox97

breathing faster

Post by firefox97 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:20 pm

When I use the breath as a meditation object then I find that my breath speeds up and feels unnatural.
Does anyone else get this? Is it something detrimental to the meditation practice?

philji

Re: breathing faster

Post by philji » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:44 pm

Let go of focussing on the breath, let go of focussing on meditating...and see what happens.

_R_

Post by _R_ » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:54 pm

firefox97 wrote:When I use the breath as a meditation object then I find that my breath speeds up and feels unnatural.
Does anyone else get this? Is it something detrimental to the meditation practice?
Use something else, for example a flower, or a stone.
I'm the best.

philji

Post by philji » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:05 pm

Sound, random sounds in the environment is a good support, more difficult to manipulate than the breath.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:41 am

Yes, the "follow the breath" instructions never worked great for me either. Look/ask for instruction using different objects, and try the breath as object once you have some stability, at least that's how it worked for me,
"it must be coming from the mouthy mastermind of raunchy rapper, Johnny Dangerous”

-Jeff H.

javier.espinoza.t

Post by javier.espinoza.t » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:57 am

firefox97 wrote:When I use the breath as a meditation object then I find that my breath speeds up and feels unnatural.
happens sometimes when we create tension while using a support -object of meditation-. Give a try without support -like seeing the vast space- and in intermitence between "focusing" and relaxation. Then try by seeing the vast space while relaxed.

the same method does not apply -in general- for everybody nor in every step.