An odd question on Pīti

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
Jesse

An odd question on Pīti

Post by Jesse »

I've had an odd question for some time about a meditation experience I had quite a long time ago. I've experienced many types of 'bliss', or euphoria, and well-being during meditation, but one specific time I experienced something that still hasn't repeatedly it'self to this day.

The experience went something like this: I was focusing very intently (doing samatha meditation -- Note: this was before I had integrated mindfulness, or vipassana into my samatha meditation so my 'focus' or concentration was very much on the hard side, not quite as relaxed as it is today, if that makes sense).. Alas..

So the experience was basically the sensation of my body slowly fading over a number of moments(my legs, then arms..etc), and than an instant feeling of *poof*, no more body(I could no longer feel a distinct body, physical or otherwise), and at the same time I had a feeling of bliss that I can't describe very well, but I can not deny that this bliss had a distinct sexual (Orgasmic?) feeling to it. Not exactly the same, but close enough that I was able to identify it as such. And ya, Ok, it sounds odd, maybe even off-putting.. but that is the only way to describe it, and other than that it was overwhelming. It felt like this bliss was coming from billions of miles away from me, and the bliss was so intense even from that distance it was overwhelming to me, it was more intense than any bliss I've ever felt before, or since. (including drugs..)

So all of this happened very quickly, within a second or two, I also had the feeling that I was going to die if I kept going, or felt like I was dying; and so there was a very sharp anxiety, and fear that snapped me out of my meditation, and that was the end of it.

I know that there isn't much point in dwelling on these sorts of experiences, as experiences of all shapes, and sizes come and go, and intense experiences happen especially often with a meditation practice.

I still can't shake wanting to understand what this experience was, and whether or not it's a common one for meditators. If it matters, this was also during a time when I was taking meditation very seriously, practicing between 2-4 hrs per day. (Or more depending.) 1 hour in the AM.. 1-2 hrs walking meditation at noon, and another 1 hour at night was my routine, and some days much more than that, that lasted maybe 6 months, and this experience happened at some point during this time.)

Now-days I meditate maybe one to three times per month if that. Was this just a one off odd experience, or a common one?

Thanks!
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
Vasana

Re: An odd question on Pīti

Post by Vasana »

Experiences of transparency and bliss are relatively common experiences you can have. Non-conceptuality, bliss and clarity.

Not worth fixating on recreating the experience as it's likely that your subtle channels and winds were just particularly settled at that time.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

Why did you stop meditating? Was it fear of death?
cky

Post by cky »

Sounds a bit like Jhana to me.
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

tingdzin wrote:Why did you stop meditating? Was it fear of death?
The intensity of the anxiety, and fear of death yes. It was not intentional, it's just the overwhelming mixture of sensations made it impossible to continue. Anxiety, Bliss, Fear of dying all coming on simultaneously, and very intensely. I was not even remotely prepared for an experience like that at the time.
cky wrote:Sounds a bit like Jhana to me.
I was wondering if that's what it could have been (1st jhana, due to the bliss.) Alas, there really is no way to find a concrete answer, it's just something I'll have to stop thinking about.

Thanks for the responses, these days my meditations are much milder, and relaxing and do not usually present with any intense experiences, aside from the occasional intense emotions (anger, sadness) that sometimes come out, which I believe are emotions I have suppressed, which is fine by me. Much easier to deal with than what I explained in my OP.
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
Anonymous X

Post by Anonymous X »

Jesse wrote:
tingdzin wrote:Why did you stop meditating? Was it fear of death?
The intensity of the anxiety, and fear of death yes. It was not intentional, it's just the overwhelming mixture of sensations made it impossible to continue. Anxiety, Bliss, Fear of dying all coming on simultaneously, and very intensely. I was not even remotely prepared for an experience like that at the time.
cky wrote:Sounds a bit like Jhana to me.
I was wondering if that's what it could have been (1st jhana, due to the bliss.) Alas, there really is no way to find a concrete answer, it's just something I'll have to stop thinking about.

Thanks for the responses, these days my meditations are much milder, and relaxing and do not usually present with any intense experiences, aside from the occasional intense emotions (anger, sadness) that sometimes come out, which I believe are emotions I have suppressed, which is fine by me. Much easier to deal with than what I explained in my OP.
Shamatha has a focus or object of meditation. It is a very underrated practice, IMO. When I do this practice, the focus is on the breath at the nostrils, but at the same time, combine this with breathing into your feeling centre which is located a few digits below your navel. This is a very effective way of concentrating the attention into your body and not into your head. Jhana is easily induced if that is what you want to experience. But I've found If you don't focus on the jhana, the feeling energy of your being is highly intensified and felt throughout your body. Difficult emotions dissolve. There is a sense of being that is radiant and present. Usually, it overwhelms the thinking process which recedes into the background and stops its chatter. It is a physical process, not a mental one. Very refreshing with a deep sense of connection to life. The key is to bring the breath into this point below the navel. The Japanese call it hara, the Chinese call it dantien. It centres you in a very natural way. It is also one of the keys to successful martial arts practice.
cky

Post by cky »

Jesse wrote:Alas, there really is no way to find a concrete answer, it's just something I'll have to stop thinking about.
Talk to your teacher?

Return to “Meditation”