Pressure Rising

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
Kristopher

Pressure Rising

Post by Kristopher »

I am very new to Buddhism, having only connected with it about a month ago now. I've dedicated much time to my practice and trying to absorb all that I can and meditate as often as I can with emphasis on a strict morning and night schedule. I live in a city where English is not the first language and so the meditation centre I attend offers very little in the way of English teachings. I'm left with a lot of books and the internet.

Over the past week, I notice a pressure in my forehead just above the eyebrow line and as well the bridge of my nose. At first I thought nothing much of it but as the week has gone on, its gotten more and more annoying. Not painful so much as it is irritating and distracting. Once I'm done meditation, after about 20 minutes, its pretty much gone.

So I turned to Google to try and find answers. Ever done a Google search when you're not feeling well to see what might be wrong? You go from having a basic cold to running to the doctor because death is knocking any minute. This rings true for my meditation pressure search. Some say its the third eye trying to open up, others say its a sign of severe neurological issues (consult a doctor) and all the way to corrupt Buddhist Priests that don't have a clue of what they are teaching. :juggling: Needless to say, I've not gotten any real answer to my question about why this is happening.

I meditate for about 30 minutes (morning/night) on the object of my breath. I get comfy, sit straight, do a body scan and then finally focusing on my breath. To varying degrees of success :tongue: . I follow this up with some kind of contemplative meditation for another 30 minutes.

Today, I made a conscious effort to try and explore this pressure. I've discovered three things

1) I'm not relaxing my face enough. To the point it feels super awkward while I tried to relax it.
2) I'm very focused on making something happen in my meditation.
3) My eyes are strained because while I meditate, I'm trying to picture things with my eyes. Like if I look hard enough, I just may catch a glimpse of something spectacular. :rolling:

Alas, this is my experience so far and just kind of wondering of any suggestions/technique ideas on how to deal with these three things.

I know I need to learn to relax my whole body and this includes the muscles in my face
I know nothing good ever happens with the use of force
I know I need to stop trying to see with my eyes and let things happen as they may

anyway... that's all I got for now and hoping that some of you fine people may have some further thought or ideas for me. I'm convinced at the moment that the three things I mentioned are the cause of this pressure.
muni

Re: Pressure Rising

Post by muni »

I know I need to learn to relax my whole body and this includes the muscles in my face
I know nothing good ever happens with the use of force...
Hello Kristopher,

Shoulders relax, back correct, relax, yes. :smile: In case you cannot reach a meditation teacher right now, maybe you can try to keep your mouth little bit open, while breath is through nose? See how this is?

https://www.dharmata.org/teachings/ In case you find some help here by these meditations.
Last edited by muni on Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“We are each living in our own soap opera. We do not see things as they really are. We see only our interpretations. This is because our minds are always so busy...But when the mind calms down, it becomes clear. This mental clarity enables us to see things as they really are, instead of projecting our commentary on everything.” Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bg9jOYnEUA
Anonymous X

Post by Anonymous X »

Try to breath into your abdomen. Let it expand on each inhale. Every time you begin to drift away, just bring the attention back to the breath and into the abdomen. Don't fix your attention on your thoughts and feelings.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Kristopher wrote:Over the past week, I notice a pressure in my forehead just above the eyebrow line and as well the bridge of my nose. At first I thought nothing much of it but as the week has gone on, its gotten more and more annoying. Not painful so much as it is irritating and distracting. Once I'm done meditation, after about 20 minutes, its pretty much gone.
Would you say that the feeling was intrinsically unpleasant, or is it that you find it irritating and distracting because you don't know what to make of it? If the latter, I wouldn't worry about it. I often feel something like that when practicing, in the same location. When it first began happening I thought it was interesting, but now I'm so used to it that I barely even notice it.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
philji

Post by philji »

I suggest reading and practicing what is contained in Mingyur Rinpoche's book 'The joy of Living'.. Where he encourages a relaxed approach without expectations and helping you move towards a sense of non meditation...
Tsun Dru Dorje

Post by Tsun Dru Dorje »

I realize this thread is a couple of months old and the OP has either solved his issues or given up in frustration. But for the sake of others or Kristopher, if he's still here the Joy of Living is an excellent suggestion. However, if not into Tibetan, perhaps Zen Mind Beginners Mind by Suzuki Roshi or the Miracle of Mindfulness by Thich Nhat Hahn may resonate better...... just sayin'
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

I remember first seriously getting into Buddhism and meditation as a very exciting and intense, even tense, period. Things settled down with the passage of time. I'd guess the OP's problem has resolved. But I'd be interested to hear what happened from the OP himself...
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

Return to “Meditation”