How to stop orgasms during meditation?

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.

How to stop orgasms during meditation?

Post by 263748 »

Okay, so this is a bit embarrassing, but less so here than discussing it in real life with other Buddhists....

I am a 45 year old woman and have been meditating about 4 years. Usually mindfulness of breathing, occasionally metta practice or just sitting. I sometimes have sits where I am just starting to get concentrated on my breath (although actually, I'm not all *that* concentrated) when - there are no two ways about it - my body has an orgasm (or several). Has anyone else experienced this? What is going on?!

It is frankly a bit distracting and disturbs my nice quiet breathing that I had been building up! Does anyone have any thoughts about how I can stop this happening? (I mean, there is a time and a place.... and the meditation cushion doesn't really seem to be it...)
Last edited by Ayu on Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed title.
Vasana

Re: meditation is giving me orgasms! help!

Post by Vasana »

Have you tried sitting in a different ways to see if your experience is the same? If you're sitting crossed legged maybe try kneeling instead or even sitting on a chair. There could be physiological reasons or it could just be a passing tendency.

Avoiding aphrodisiac foods/drinks and herbs for a while might also help. ( A lot of common foods have aphrodisiac properties). Anaphrodisiacs and contemplating the suffering of samsara beforehand could also be an option to experiment with too if need be.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
jkarlins

Post by jkarlins »

really?
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Will you be my teacher?
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
jkarlins

Post by jkarlins »

ha!
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

263748 wrote:my body has an orgasm (or several).
You should not be embarassed. It's not a sickness. You can enjoy your body and it is not repulsive to have an orgasm. But why do you get it in meditation? Well, we all have "wet dreams". It's a natural function. Why you get this during meditation is mystical. Maybe ask a monk? If you find it distracting, try to let it go as a simple bodily function. Maybe this experience will pass over time.

Post by 263748 »

Vasana: interesting ideas, thanks. I kneel, as I find my feet go to sleep if I sit cross-legged. Maybe I'll try a chair, but I like being near the ground.

Could you give me a quick list of anaphrodisiac foods? I have no idea! I'll try a bit of contemplation of dukkha too (although it seems a bit of a negative way to start my sit - not sure it will make me look forward to it.)

Dzogchungpa: I really have no idea why it's happening so not something I could teach!! It is actually getting a bit annoying... The funny thing is that I'm not being distracted by thoughts about sex when it happens; I'm mostly concentrating on my breath with a few everyday distractions (like about passing traffic or whatever). It just comes out of nowhere.

Odysseus: thanks, yes, I'm trying to see it as just that, something passing and not to get attached to. It will happen once or twice within a couple of days, and then not again for several months, so I think I have moved on from it, but then it happens again. The only teachers I know at present are male; I might ask a woman teacher if I knew one, but otherwise I'm a bit shy... (Hence why I'm here.)
CedarTree

Post by CedarTree »

263748 wrote:Okay, so this is a bit embarrassing, but less so here than discussing it in real life with other Buddhists....

I am a 45 year old woman and have been meditating about 4 years. Usually mindfulness of breathing, occasionally metta practice or just sitting. I sometimes have sits where I am just starting to get concentrated on my breath (although actually, I'm not all *that* concentrated) when - there are no two ways about it - my body has an orgasm (or several). Has anyone else experienced this? What is going on?!

It is frankly a bit distracting and disturbs my nice quiet breathing that I had been building up! Does anyone have any thoughts about how I can stop this happening? (I mean, there is a time and a place.... and the meditation cushion doesn't really seem to be it...)
In my time with woman it seems there are two types or orgasms possible. One likes guys were it is very localized in some respects to stimulus and the other that is more of an all-body effect.

It could be with your breathing that you are getting to the state of extreme piti.

(Piti) = physical pleasure. Since it is not associated with an object or desire it is usually free and can be an all-body type effect. As someone allows this state to develop it can be so intense that people literally can start shaking while in sitting posture and feeling overwhelmed.

This can be a place for Jhana absorption if you would like to learn about that meditation style.

Again describing subjective things is quite hard. It does seem though that your having classic "rapture" effects and possibly ready for Jhana.

Shoot me a msg if you want some more instructions and or good resources for guiding your practice from this point.

Practice, Practice, Practice

Post by 263748 »

CedarTree wrote:
In my time with woman it seems there are two types or orgasms possible. One likes guys were it is very localized in some respects to stimulus and the other that is more of an all-body effect.

It could be with your breathing that you are getting to the state of extreme piti.

(Piti) = physical pleasure. Since it is not associated with an object or desire it is usually free and can be an all-body type effect. As someone allows this state to develop it can be so intense that people literally can start shaking while in sitting posture and feeling overwhelmed.

This can be a place for Jhana absorption if you would like to learn about that meditation style.

Again describing subjective things is quite hard. It does seem though that your having classic "rapture" effects and possibly ready for Jhana.

Shoot me a msg if you want some more instructions and or good resources for guiding your practice from this point.
Thanks CedarTree. Yes, it is definitely the 'all body effect', and it does feel quite overwhelming. I will send you a PM, as I would be interested to know how to transform this (pretty distracting) physical feeling into something more meditatively 'useful'.
Bodhinet

Post by Bodhinet »

I already heard that some people can cry occasionally while they meditate, in connection with the opening of their heart, when they feel "pure love" in some way.
To cry is a physiological reaction and we can imagine other reactions, like yours.

But it could be something separate from your meditation and more in connection with the functioning of your body and hormone-related.
If this continues to speak about it with a lama could be appropriated.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: How to stop orgasms during meditation?

Post by Ayu »

[Mod note: Let's have a sane and respectful exchange of thoughts and knowledge in this delicate topic, please]
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

263748: If you must kneel, use a bench as below or use the Burmese position (with cushion or not) where the legs do not cross but are just parallel.

May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

If the problem persists, see a qualified doctor of Tibetan Medicine and/or a qualified teacher of Vajrayana.
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

There could be Tantric instructions on how to transform these bodily sensations into enlightenment.

Post by 263748 »

Norwegian wrote:263748,

If the problem persists, see a qualified doctor of Tibetan Medicine
Hmm, not sure where I find one of those!
philji

Post by philji »

Unusual but like everything else...just be aware of it. In face orgasms are a great time to recognize nature of mind.. so remain mindful, relaxed, aware.
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

I have the same thoughts as CedarTree--- it might be just piti, which isn't necessarily a problem unless you become attached to it. It sounds like you've been practicing Theravada style shamatha without vipassana. Are you following a path or a tradition?
"The world is made of stories, not atoms."
--- Muriel Rukeyser

Post by 263748 »

Matt J wrote:I have the same thoughts as CedarTree--- it might be just piti, which isn't necessarily a problem unless you become attached to it. It sounds like you've been practicing Theravada style shamatha without vipassana. Are you following a path or a tradition?
I'm practicing with a Triratna group, and yes, basically shamatha at the moment. I generally have a lot of mind-wandering so have been concentrating on Mindfulness practice to try to get more focussed.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

This is a thing, you should find a teacher.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

263748 wrote:I generally have a lot of mind-wandering ...
Hallelujah sister! Don't we all! :smile:

I agree with Johnny, I think it is time you found yourself a real teacher.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Meditation”