Meditation remedy sought

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Re: Meditation remedy sought

Post by 明安 Myoan »

By mind I meant buddha-nature. It's just that in the texts I read it tends to be referred to as "mind" which of course is not meant to be thoughts or sense consciousnesses. Apologies for mixing up terms here!
Namu Amida Butsu
Rick

Post by Rick »

Anonymous X wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:12 pmPersonally, I think too much time and effort go into thinking about mind.
I find exploring my internal reality utterly fascinating. It's some kind of crazy jungle down there, all sorts of exotic and just plain weird creatures to be found. And the more time I spend exploring this jungle, the less I feel it has anything to do with "me" (whatever that is). I guess I'm still pretty in love with the world of form. "One taste" is good for me in theory, but in real life some things still have a way better taste than others. Yum-yum! :stirthepot:
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ...
PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis »

rachmiel wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:50 pm Yum-yum! :stirthepot:
"Suppose a dog, overcome with weakness & hunger, were to come across a slaughterhouse, and there a dexterous butcher or butcher's apprentice were to fling him a chain of bones — thoroughly scraped, without any flesh, smeared with blood. What do you think: Would the dog, gnawing on that chain of bones — thoroughly scraped, without any flesh, smeared with blood — appease its weakness & hunger?"

"No, lord. And why is that? Because the chain of bones is thoroughly scraped, without any flesh, & smeared with blood. The dog would get nothing but its share of weariness & vexation."

"In the same way, householder, a disciple of the noble ones considers this point: 'The Blessed One has compared sensuality to a chain of bones, of much stress, much despair, & greater drawbacks.'

MN 54
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

For posts from this user, see Karma Dondrup Tashi account.
Rick

Post by Rick »

PuerAzaelis wrote:'The Blessed One has compared sensuality to a chain of bones, of much stress, much despair, & greater drawbacks.'
Hmm ... that’s a bit morbid, in’nt? For me the world of forms/senses is pretty frickin’ fabulous (at its best). I don’t think renunciation is my strong suit. :popcorn:
muni

Post by muni »

rachmiel wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:13 pm
muni wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:03 am Where are all these differences?
I'm not sure where they are, but one thing I *am* sure of: They're all empty.
Where.., yes, a stupid question.
Perhaps the different systems are offering clarity, which is lost because of going through the rabbit hole and now being one in a real world of differences.

The struggling paths of Dharma, are empty. Many thanks.
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

rachmiel wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:57 pm
PuerAzaelis wrote:'The Blessed One has compared sensuality to a chain of bones, of much stress, much despair, & greater drawbacks.'
Hmm ... that’s a bit morbid, in’nt? For me the world of forms/senses is pretty frickin’ fabulous (at its best). I don’t think renunciation is my strong suit. :popcorn:
The path of renunciation is generally said to be more difficult during degenerate times since our afflictions are stronger. The path of transformation or self-liberation are for these times although you can practice all 3 together where appropriate. In either case, proceeding on the path is suposed to uproot and liberate ourattachment to forms even if we still enjoy them.

Like Tilopa said, 'Son, it is not appearances that bind you, it is grasping. Therefore, cut through your attachment, Nāropa'
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Rick

Post by Rick »

Vasana wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:06 am Like Tilopa said, 'Son, it is not appearances that bind you, it is grasping. Therefore, cut through your attachment, Nāropa'
Yeah baybey! Love that Tilopa, I still turn to his Six Advices all the time (or lack of same).

Attachment, yes, that's the source of suffering. And, of course, non-attachment ... which is just the sad flip side of attachment. Something in-between them, drawing from both ... a kind of unattached attachment won't work either. (Thank you, Nagarjuna.) The whole structure of (non)attachment needs to be unraveled, deconstructed, let go.

What a joy ... to be able to deeply enjoy this, mourn that while this and that are present ... and have no trace left behind when they are gone.
PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis »

rachmiel wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:57 pm Hmm ... that’s a bit morbid, in’nt? For me the world of forms/senses is pretty frickin’ fabulous (at its best).
Just practical.

Ajaan Fuang once said that meditators tend to be like little puppies. They go out and defecate and then come running to their mothers to have their mothers lick them off. They haven't learned how to lick themselves off yet. So as a meditator you need to learn how to lick yourself off.

Thanissaro Bhikkhu
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind

For posts from this user, see Karma Dondrup Tashi account.
Rick

Post by Rick »

PuerAzaelis wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:40 pmAjaan Fuang once said that meditators tend to be like little puppies. They go out and defecate and then come running to their mothers to have their mothers lick them off. They haven't learned how to lick themselves off yet. So as a meditator you need to learn how to lick yourself off.

Thanissaro Bhikkhu
Great! Love it ... and find it so so true (in myself and others I've observed). I've had a foot (sometimes two) in the awakening game for quite the long while now, mostly in the theory and contemplation of same, much less in meditation. So I'm kind of new to it, just like those little puppies. Whenever I have some "strong experience" in a meditation, my first inkling is to stop meditating and enter it in my journal or share it with people in Dharma Wheel or other dharma friends I have. Clearly I still want Mommy (or Daddy, in a pinch) to lick me off.

Return to “Meditation”