Standing Meditation

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
HandsomeMonkeyking

Standing Meditation

Post by HandsomeMonkeyking »

I have read several times 'meditation can be done sitting, standing or lying down'.
Generally for the sitting and lying there are specific instructions given. What about the standing? Anybody has ever received instructions specifically on it? Or read about it?
SunWuKong

Re: Standing Meditation

Post by SunWuKong »

i think the pose is identical to Mountain Pose (Tadasana) in yoga, I've seen a video on Taoist version of it. Not much to say about it really. Kicking out into a Tai-Chi stance is more stable, but it's not considered Wu-Ji then
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam
Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 »

The great Korean Zen master Kusan Sunim had his first breakthrough while doing long standing meditation. It is in one of his books, either Nine Mountains or The Way of Korean Zen. Specifically he did it because his meditation was so poor that he kept falling asleep. And he had promised his friend, a fellow monk who died in his arms while their were travelling, to attain enlightenment for his sake before the traditional period after the friend's death was up. This is my recollection of the story, at least.
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

I mean if i was going to do be forced to do it right now, naturally i'd stand straight but not too tight, tuck the tail-bone in, feel the center of gravity in my body to be the lower Dan Tien, become planted on the earth but not training to develop "root" as in Tai Chi, place tongue in the soft palate softly, gaze downward, and start with counting breaths, until counting isn't necessary, and then until noticing breath isn't necessary? Does that make sense?
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam
madhusudan

Post by madhusudan »

A while back I did a bit of standing meditation, but more for health than samadhi.

From my bit of research, this video was recommended as authentic:

Return to “Meditation”