Mindfulness Meditation

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
SunWuKong

Mindfulness Meditation

Post by SunWuKong »

Thumbs up or thumbs down, if you have tried this.

And before you go all sectarian, Vajrayana, Mahāyāna, and Theraveda teachers all here and there teach Mindfulness Meditation or Mindfulness Practice. All I ask for is an up or down vote. If you have tried it.
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Re: Mindfulness Meditation

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Mindfulness of what with what intention? There's the difference. If you mean modern day "savor the moment" mindfulness of sensory pleasures to attain worldly happiness, I'm not sure many here will get behind that, but it isn't really what mindfulness meant until relatively recently, that I know.

For me, my main practice is mindfulness/remembrance of Amitabha Buddha.
Namu Amida Butsu
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

Monlam Tharchin wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:51 pm Mindfulness of what with what intention? There's the difference. If you mean modern day "savor the moment" mindfulness of sensory pleasures to attain worldly happiness, I'm not sure many here will get behind that, but it isn't really what mindfulness meant until relatively recently, that I know.

For me, my main practice is mindfulness/remembrance of Amitabha Buddha.
For brevity sake, the Wikipedia definition is useful. However the number of other authors with Mindfulness in the titles of non fiction self help manuals is growing exponentially, so that’s a viable search as well.

you correctly translated mindfulness as remembrance which puts you at the head of the class. My view is that MM is as good as any other technique but the branding and marketing is a gimmick
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

I thought Buddhism is a Religion: You Can Believe It by David Brazier did a pretty thorough job examining the mindfulness versus remembrance issue, especially in a modern context.

What kind of "mindfulness meditation" specifically do you mean in the title?
Last edited by 明安 Myoan on Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Namu Amida Butsu
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

SunWuKong wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:47 pm Thumbs up or thumbs down, if you have tried this.

And before you go all sectarian, Vajrayana, Mahāyāna, and Theraveda teachers all here and there teach Mindfulness Meditation or Mindfulness Practice. All I ask for is an up or down vote. If you have tried it.
Mindfulness is an essential practice in all schools as far as I know. I don't think there is any Buddhist school that encourages people to go about their lives having no clue what is going on in their minds and what their body is doing. The weird thing would be if there is someone in this forum that is not actually practicing it.
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

Aryjna wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:31 am
SunWuKong wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:47 pm Thumbs up or thumbs down, if you have tried this.

Mindfulness is an essential practice in all schools as far as I know. I don't think there is any Buddhist school that encourages people to go about their lives having no clue what is going on in their minds and what their body is doing. The weird thing would be if there is someone in this forum that is not actually practicing it.
i mean, techniques taught as "Mindfulness Meditation" - i just wanted a quick survey to see who has tried it and likes it, or tried it and not liked
dude

Post by dude »

Yes.
I like it very much.
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

:thumbsup:

So 3 yes, 1 neither yes nor no?

On Dhammawheel 6 answered yes