wrathful visualization

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
tonyv

wrathful visualization

Post by tonyv »

Hi All
I've been searching for meditation techniques to transform strong emotions .From what i can gather Buddhist tantra have such techniques, though i have not found a good source from which to learn them.This is the only practice i have found so far https://www.bring4th.org/forums/showthread.php?tid=4923 he describes using "anger to fuel a wrathful visualization" then a moment of compassion to transform the emotion.Does anyone have any leads for me.
Thanks,
Tony.
Aryjna

Re: wrathful visualization

Post by Aryjna »

tonyv wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:38 am Hi All
I've been searching for meditation techniques to transform strong emotions .From what i can gather Buddhist tantra have such techniques, though i have not found a good source from which to learn them.This is the only practice i have found so far https://www.bring4th.org/forums/showthread.php?tid=4923 he describes using "anger to fuel a wrathful visualization" then a moment of compassion to transform the emotion.Does anyone have any leads for me.
Thanks,
Tony.
First of all, that person has no idea what he is talking about.

Other than that, in order to do such practices, you need to receive the necessary empowerments and instructions from an accomplished teacher.

But there are other ways to practice that do not include wrathful deities etc., through which you can start overcoming negative emotions.
tonyv

Post by tonyv »

Hi
Thanks for reply. Could you give me any leads (books ,websites, maybe just name of practice) on " other ways to practice that do not include wrathful deities etc., through which you can start overcoming negative emotions".
Thanks
Tony
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

tonyv wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:59 pm Hi
Thanks for reply. Could you give me any leads (books ,websites, maybe just name of practice) on " other ways to practice that do not include wrathful deities etc., through which you can start overcoming negative emotions".
Thanks
Tony
I think the reason no one else is answering here may in part be because this subforum is not very active.

There are various options to choose from and it also depends on what one feels an inclination for, other members of the forum can also help in this regard. Any Buddhist practice works to that effect, I would say it is not only a matter of an isolated method.

An important question is are you interested in practicing Buddhism, or just a stand-alone method that can help with negative emotions?
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

If you want a book that requires no empowerment, relationship to a teacher, etc. Lama Tsultrim Allione wrote Feeding Your Demons, which is basically a "psychological" practice based on Chod. If you are wanting to simply heal old wounds, transform emotions etc. without actually delving into this sort of teaching (which will require a lot more of you than reading some meditation instructions online), might be best to just check this book out. There is no way anyone is going to give you Vajrayana instructions in an environment like this, those should come from a teacher to whom you have some connection.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
anjali
Former staff member

Post by anjali »

I second JD's recommendation of Lama Tsultrim Allione's Feeding Your Demons. For two non-tantric approaches...

If you are interested in working specifically with anger, check out Thich Nhat Hanh's book, Anger: Wisdom for Cooling the Flames.

Another approach is Chapter 16, Taking Afflictions and Emotions as the Path, in Khenchen Thrangu Rinpoche's book, Vivid Awareness. It should be noted that getting the full value out of that chapter will depend on how much you get from the other chapters leading up to it.
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

I've been searching for meditation techniques to transform strong emotions .From what i can gather Buddhist tantra have such techniques, though i have not found a good source from which to learn them.
Tony -
It is my personal experience (and the experience of some other people that I have discussed this with) that Vajrakilaya practice is excellent for the transformation of strong negative emotion, particularly anger. However I discussed this directly with my Sakya lama and he felt that there is a danger in the practice generating anger (perhaps because Vajrakilaya does have other aspects to the practice). This might be a danger but it is my observation that this practice works well to cut and transform anger with Westerners.

There are other meditation techniques from Taoism that have a similar tendency since much habitual anger is a result of trauma and a person's life energies are often flowing unnaturally. These meditations can resolve this part of the problem.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
pael

Post by pael »

kirtu wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:38 am
I've been searching for meditation techniques to transform strong emotions .From what i can gather Buddhist tantra have such techniques, though i have not found a good source from which to learn them.
Tony -
It is my personal experience (and the experience of some other people that I have discussed this with) that Vajrakilaya practice is excellent for the transformation of strong negative emotion, particularly anger. However I discussed this directly with my Sakya lama and he felt that there is a danger in the practice generating anger (perhaps because Vajrakilaya does have other aspects to the practice). This might be a danger but it is my observation that this practice works well to cut and transform anger with Westerners.

There are other meditation techniques from Taoism that have a similar tendency since much habitual anger is a result of trauma and a person's life energies are often flowing unnaturally. These meditations can resolve this part of the problem.

Kirt
How to get Vajrakilaya initiation?
May all beings be free from suffering and causes of suffering
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

pael wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:21 am
kirtu wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:38 am
Tony -

Kirt
How to get Vajrakilaya initiation?
Pm'd.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Kris

Post by Kris »

pael wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:21 am How to get Vajrakilaya initiation?
Looks like you just missed this:

http://www.vajrayana.org/events/97/

But this is coming up at the end of the year:

ANNUAL VAJRAKILAYA DRUPCHEN
November 10 – 18
With H.E. Garchen Rinpoche and the Garchen Institute Lamas

And this:

VAJRAKILAYA MONTH LONG RETREAT
Led by the Venerable Drupon Rinchen Dorje
November 19 – December 9

https://garchen.net/annual-events/

:sage:
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
pael

Post by pael »

Sennin wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:47 am
pael wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:21 am How to get Vajrakilaya initiation?
Looks like you just missed this:

http://www.vajrayana.org/events/97/

But this is coming up at the end of the year:

ANNUAL VAJRAKILAYA DRUPCHEN
November 10 – 18
With H.E. Garchen Rinpoche and the Garchen Institute Lamas

And this:

VAJRAKILAYA MONTH LONG RETREAT
Led by the Venerable Drupon Rinchen Dorje
November 19 – December 9

https://garchen.net/annual-events/

:sage:
Will it be webcast?
May all beings be free from suffering and causes of suffering
kausalya

Post by kausalya »

Thanks,
Tony.
Practice doesn't have to be wrathful... not to begin with, anyway. Far be it from me to tell you what to do, but early exposure to such things can be counterproductive without careful guidance.

Consider all of your mundane activity in relation to the two purposes (making offerings/requesting blessings from the Buddhas in dependence on those offerings, & purifying the suffering of sentient beings), and practice Tonglen breathing meditation.

Deity practice may be many things, but it is also a deeper abstraction of Tonglen. The two purposes are the essence of all enlightened activity, AFAIK.

Return to “Meditation”