Meditation timer app?

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
LoveFromColorado

Meditation timer app?

Post by LoveFromColorado » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:11 pm

Hello,

Cany anyone recommend a good meditation app with a gentle tone that can be a timer, a reminder to meditate, and silence other notifications (i.e. Do Not Disturb)? I have an app on Android creatively named "Meditation Timer" which is great and does most of this (except the reminder) but the actual timer sound is a jarring gong sound. If there could be a more gentle sound (like a softly struck prayer bowl) then that would be preferable.

Thanks in advance!

boda

Re: Meditation timer app?

Post by boda » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:02 pm

There's a good one called: Insight Timer. Lots of sounds and controls, but I don't think it has a feature for turning off all notifications.

LolCat

Post by LolCat » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:47 pm

Try Insight Timer, you can choose the tones for starting and ending sessions. It also has the reminder feature I think, I have never used it though. The one downside may be that it may be Overkill, it has a lot of other stuff you might not care for.
Tergar recently put out a meditation app which I think has the features you want, but I haven't used it yet.

Edit - didn't see the previous post recommending insight timer already. :|

Jeff H

Post by Jeff H » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:23 pm

I use Insight Timer and like it very much. It's got way more extras than I care about at all, but it's not like you're paying for anything you don't use, it's free. I'm sure some people find the frills useful.

I only use the timer. It has a very good selection of chimes. You control the volume and the number of times a bell chimes (1, 2, or 3). You can create any number of pre-set sessions for different length sessions and with different bell configurations.

I see the Android version does have a reminder and a do-not-disturb. But when you select DND, it says you must give permissions, and it isn't clear to me what the different permissions are. You could experiment and see what it does. I just use Android's built-in DND. I set it with a swipe and 2 taps.

We who are like children shrink from pain but love its causes. - Shantideva

LoveFromColorado

Post by LoveFromColorado » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:27 pm

Perfect! I could not find the DND setting and just did - thanks for the help. A much gentle tone now :)

passel

Post by passel » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:48 am

You don’t need a gentle tone; literally anything will do, no need to fuss w conditions.
"I have made a heap of all that I have met"- Svetonious

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:56 am

I like this very simple timer with a nice bell tone:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... imer&hl=en
All it does is time. Plays a quiet bell at the start and a louder bell three times at the end.
While any tone would be fine for personal use, a pleasant tone is handy in a group setting (rather than carrying around a physical bell...).

As others have said, turning a phone silent is easy, so I don't need the timer app to do that for me.

:heart:
Mike

Wayfarer
Global Moderator

Post by Wayfarer » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:42 am

Insight Timer is brilliant. Look no further.
Only practice with no gaining idea ~ Suzuki Roshi

Emmet

Post by Emmet » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:50 pm

I'd practiced for years with some very strong brick-and-mortar sanghas. When I became ill, we moved to a small rural village to be closer to family. Insight Timer is programmable; I was able to select a chime which sounded very much like the inkin bell at my "home temple", and set the sequence and interval just like I had been taught as doan, then save it as a routine I could activate at the touch of a button. After keeping time for the sangha for so long, having Insight Timer do it for me seemed quite luxurious, and I found the continuity of familiar sounds and routine comforting, and helped ease the transition from group to solitary practice.
https://insighttimer.com

Anders

Post by Anders » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:56 am

I use the zazen meditation app. I like the feature of it having multiple rounds.
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"

--- Gandavyuha Sutra

Jangchub Dorje

Post by Jangchub Dorje » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:12 pm

Return to “Meditation”