my vision shines and wobbles when I concentrate? Is that normal?

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
SonamGyatso

my vision shines and wobbles when I concentrate? Is that normal?

Post by SonamGyatso »

When I am able to get my mind into a concentrated mode, sometimes colors embed themselves in my vision and shine like light. Shapes of everything wobble like i'm using a hallucinogen. Is this ordinary activity of open-eyed meditation or should I seek medical assistance?
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Re: my vision shines and wobbles when I concentrate? Is that normal?

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

SonamGyatso wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:54 am When I am able to get my mind into a concentrated mode, sometimes colors embed themselves in my vision and shine like light. Shapes of everything wobble like i'm using a hallucinogen. Is this ordinary activity of open-eyed meditation or should I seek medical assistance?
You might be concentrating too hard.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Marc

Post by Marc »

SonamGyatso wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:54 am When I am able to get my mind into a concentrated mode, sometimes colors embed themselves in my vision and shine like light. Shapes of everything wobble like i'm using a hallucinogen. Is this ordinary activity of open-eyed meditation or should I seek medical assistance?
Do not worry. Nothing wrong, nothing special.  
I guess you are practicing some kind of fixation, with open eyes...
This is totally normal, and most instruction manuals go as follow:
Just ignore these "funny visuals" and stay focused on your object.  

At the same time, as wisely pointed Miroku: Careful not too be intense...
Most people approach concentration in too much of a forceful manner which, may at first, give some impression of pacification of the mind... But usually end up in becoming more nervous, because the mind is actually not relax & focused, but tight & blocked.
Go gently & patiently ;)
Emmet

Post by Emmet »

If it occurs only during meditation (i.e., you can usually bring it on at will), it's probably makyo; a meaningless trick of the mind. Pay no attention to it, but as Miroku suggested, you might consider lightening up. The Buddha observed that a lute string sounds best when it's neither too loose, nor too tight; the 'Middle Way'.
If your visual disturbances come and go without rhyme or reason, you might want to get that checked out by an ophthalmologist.
May all beings plagued with sufferings of the body or mind be quickly freed of their illnesses.
May the frightened cease to be afraid, and may the bound go free.
May the powerless find power,
And may people think of befriending each other.

Return to “Meditation”