Can anyone suggest me a book regarding meditation?

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
james_austin

Can anyone suggest me a book regarding meditation?

Post by james_austin »

Hi,
I want to read about meditation. Often we get tensed up, tangled up with problems, suffer from addiction and lose our balance for life. The solution to these problems is meditation. So can you suggest me a book on meditation? Thanks in advance.
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Re: Can anyone suggest me a book regarding meditation?

Post by Wayfarer »

Greetings and welcome to the Forum.

There will no doubt be many books that could be suggested, but the two that came to my mind are Mindfulness in Plain English, Bhante Gunaratana; and Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind, Shunryu Suzuki.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
Dan74
Former staff member

Post by Dan74 »

james_austin wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:11 am Hi,
I want to read about meditation. Often we get tensed up, tangled up with problems, suffer from addiction and lose our balance for life. The solution to these problems is meditation. So can you suggest me a book on meditation? Thanks in advance.
Meido Roshi, a Rinzai teacher who sometimes posts here, had a book out recently that spent quite a bit of time giving meditation instructions. https://www.bookdepository.com/Rinzai-Z ... 1611805178

From the Tibetan perspective, Pema Chödrön, made a series of talks on meditation https://www.soundstrue.com/store/how-to ... -dr-n.html

But most important of all is, IMO, to connect with a good teacher who can instruct you in a manner appropriate to your psychophysical makeup.

_/|\_
aprapti

Post by aprapti »

Will Johnson, Posture of Meditation; a practical manual for meditators of all traditions

:buddha1:
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

I think that The Attention Revolution by B. Allan Wallace is quite good.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
John_Gilly

Post by John_Gilly »

I would like to recommend you The Miracle of Mindfulness book https://www.onlinebooksreview.com/artic ... 0807012394. This book is designed with meditation practices that will help to achieve mindfulness. It is simply the art of living in the present moment. It helps to understand how breathing exercises leave impact on mood and actions and to Elevate energy and achieve peace in life.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Grigoris wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:29 pm Anapanasati Sutta
:good:

Yep best to go to the source!
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Don't forget that good deeds and the precepts are vital supports, not only for making your meditation successful but for improving your life in general.
Namu Amida Butsu
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

The Mind Illuminated by Culadasa has been a fantastic resource for me. It lays out a progressive path of shamatha practice according to Asanga's nine stages in a level of detail that's hard to believe. It's honestly the most straightforward and comprehensive meditation text I've ever read.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Miroku wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:43 pm
Grigoris wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:29 pm Anapanasati Sutta
:good:

Yep best to go to the source!
:smile: +1
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
cjdevries

Post by cjdevries »

I like 'How to Meditate', by Kathleen McDonald
"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

"Ask: what's needed of you" -Akong Rinpoche

"Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Gandhi

Return to “Meditation”