Fitness Tracker

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Fitness Tracker

Post by Queequeg »

Anyone use one to monitor vitals while engaging in practice?

Thinking of getting one and was wondering if anyone had used one in this way.

I'm particularly curious to see how my heart rate and blood pressure goes during practice.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Re: Fitness Tracker

Post by Wayfarer »

I have an Apple Watch which does that. I use it for workouts. Does a ton of other stuff too.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Have you monitored heart rate while meditating?
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

hasn't occurred to me to do so, but I will give it a try for tomorrow morning's session, to see if it works.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Don't know if the apple watch also has sleep monitoring, and I'm not sure how those functions work on other trackers, but was curious to see if maybe they detect sleep-like effects while meditating.

:smile:

Looking forward to what you find!
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Queequeg wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:01 pm Don't know if the apple watch also has sleep monitoring, and I'm not sure how those functions work on other trackers, but was curious to see if maybe they detect sleep-like effects while meditating.

:smile:

Looking forward to what you find!
I wouldn't be surprised if there is existent research on this kind of thing if it was more a general rather tha particular interest in what you are likely to see when monitoring yourself.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
DewachenVagabond

Post by DewachenVagabond »

I have a Fitbit that I use to track exercise and sleep. I don't normally check it while I'm meditating, but I have sporadically checked it on occasion out of curiosity. It really depends on what type of practice I'm doing. Things involving mantras and visualization get my heart rate up a little bit, but not much. If my heart rate was 70 beforehand, it might go up to 75. Shamata and meditation without support can get my heart rate to go much lower. The lowest I've seen (late at night when I was admittedly pretty tired) was 48. My resting heart rate is usually between 58 and 62. I've never had it track me as sleeping while I was meditating, because it generally takes at least an hour and a half to track anything as sleep, and 3 hours before it gives any specific data, like time spent in REM, light and deep sleep.
:bow: :buddha1: :bow: :anjali: :meditate:
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Cool! And interesting!

Once I figure out which device to go with I will look forward to checking this out!

Please keep the input coming!
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Queequeg wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:01 pm ... Once I figure out which device to go with ...
I wouldn't provide the internet with information about my health and fitness. This is way too personal for any insurance or employer to deal with.
boda

Post by boda »

All ya need is a timer, like a meditation app that will make a sound every 15 or 30 seconds. While sitting you can simply feel your pulse and count during any interval and then do the math, or if you’re not good at math count beats for 60 seconds.

I used the same method for breathing and in under a month of practice I can go immediately to 2 breaths per minute while sitting. When I started it took me up to a half hour to get my breathing down to 4 bpm. Deliberate practice (Anders Erickson), baby!
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

boda wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:45 am All ya need is a timer, like a meditation app that will make a sound every 15 or 30 seconds. While sitting you can simply feel your pulse and count during any interval and then do the math, or if you’re not good at math count beats for 60 seconds.
I'm lazy. And that sounds too complicated. LOL
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Ayu wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:11 am
Queequeg wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:01 pm ... Once I figure out which device to go with ...
I wouldn't provide the internet with information about my health and fitness. This is way too personal for any insurance or employer to deal with.
This is probably wise.

Return to “Meditation”