What do you "see" when you meditate please

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
OldBabyGrasshopper

What do you "see" when you meditate please

Post by OldBabyGrasshopper » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:25 pm

i have about 1000 questions

First, please....

I have no idea what experience any of you get when you meditate. Would like to see if mine is similar or completely different than yours.

A few years back, I started meditating and getting strong visions. I had never had visions before in my life. They became "scientific" which I am not educated in.

My most recent, very strong vision was of life and death.

It showed that energy is always in movement, always, transforming, always evolving and what part shocked me the most, is what the vision "told" after death. That that in itself is a transition (which i kinda thought anyway) BUT that "you" keep on transforming, evolving even after death.

Also, in my visions, they are always moving. NEVER still.

I will start with just this... is this... what you experience?

OldBabyGrasshopper

Re: What do you "see" when you meditate please

Post by OldBabyGrasshopper » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:22 pm

when i was talking about "death" i wast talking about reincarnation per se (but can be during that time also)

i was saying, i was shown, something i didnt grasp or understand, and when shown in vision, i understood with absolute clarity, that it made perfect sense, shocking sense, simple sense

that our conscious energy no matter what, where, when, how etc.. will be in a constant state of transformation...... constant evolution

that was the strong vision

not all of mine are "strong" ones... some are relaxing, enlightening, from another perspective

please explain your experience while meditating, if you are comfortable explaining of course...

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:13 pm

I don't want to discourage you or be a metaphorical wet blanket, but first, a note of caution - and I think any teacher will tell you this first on hearing of your experiences - Don't hold on to them. Let them come and go like waves on the beach. These experiences are as illusory and ephemeral as everything else you think and experience. Holding on to any of it will be an obstacle to further progress.

As far as what I "see", that's a sensitive subject and deeply personal... you'd need to at least take me on a few dates before I shared something like that.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

LastLegend

Post by LastLegend » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:17 pm

Nothing yet!
Clear!

明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:19 pm

It depends on your method and intent, both of which are important.
With a heart wandering in ignorance down this path and that, to guide me I simply say Namu-Amida-Butsu. -- Ippen

The Fundamental Vow [of Amitabha Buddha] is just for such people as woodcutters and grassgatherers, vegetable pickers, drawers of water and the like, illiterate folk who merely recite the Buddha's name wholeheartedly, confident that as a result of saying "Namu Amida Butsu" they will be born into the western land. -- Master Hōnen

OldBabyGrasshopper

Post by OldBabyGrasshopper » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:40 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:13 pm
I don't want to discourage you or be a metaphorical wet blanket, but first, a note of caution - and I think any teacher will tell you this first on hearing of your experiences - Don't hold on to them. Let them come and go like waves on the beach. These experiences are as illusory and ephemeral as everything else you think and experience. Holding on to any of it will be an obstacle to further progress.

As far as what I "see", that's a sensitive subject and deeply personal... you'd need to at least take me on a few dates before I shared something like that.
thank you, i was raised Christian, so, what i am experiencing isn't something i would expect to be happening.

i know it is weird.. and i don't even understand it, i would in person, not tell anyone about my visions.. because i am uncomfortable and quite confused by them lol. i only have them during meditation...

but maybe that is what they are, maybe it is just my self conscious speaking and it is just simply that... and i am looking way to deep into it? because it isn't they aren't flowing, for me, they are making an impact, maybe that is what is wrong... i should just let them come and go, and not think too deeply on it?

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:47 pm

OldBabyGrasshopper wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:40 pm
thank you, i was raised Christian, so, what i am experiencing isn't something i would expect to be happening.

i know it is weird.. and i don't even understand it, i would in person, not tell anyone about my visions.. because i am uncomfortable and quite confused by them lol. i only have them during meditation...

but maybe that is what they are, maybe it is just my self conscious speaking and it is just simply that... and i am looking way to deep into it? because it isn't they aren't flowing, for me, they are making an impact, maybe that is what is wrong... i should just let them come and go, and not think too deeply on it?
Well, I don't think you need to be hostile or resistant to them. There's may be something to the argument that what you are seeing and experiencing is your mind unknotting. Let them come and go - don't get caught up in them. When I'm at the beach I enjoy watching the waves roll in and break. There really isn't much I can take home with me though when its time to leave. I leave the waves at the beach.
Entered a stupa compound

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Post by Queequeg » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:50 pm

As a follow up, don't take any of my musings here, or anyone's in this thread for that matter, too seriously.

You're well advised to find someone qualified IRL to work this stuff out with.
Entered a stupa compound

-Ayacana Sutta

tkp67

Post by tkp67 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:54 pm

Without specifics I noticed one thing about where I look when I meditate.

I noticed a long time ago that when I visualize I do it in the front of my eyes, that is if I wanted to touch the thought I could it was in front of my eyes. Basically my senses where still being engaged.

I then had an experience when I noticed I was processing thought deeper in my mind, not as visual thought seemed to be centered behind the eyes towards the core. It is hard to articulate because it was so subtle but when I meditate I focus there.

It seems to give me most gain and what I experience there is a mind's eye view. I get realizations and even visions but they are not visually corporeal they are without form and before engagement of senses. I can draw a picture in my mind after of a vision brought from there but it is a separate process.

OldBabyGrasshopper

Post by OldBabyGrasshopper » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:02 pm

tkp67 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:54 pm
Without specifics I noticed one thing about where I look when I meditate.

I noticed a long time ago that when I visualize I do it in the front of my eyes, that is if I wanted to touch the thought I could it was in front of my eyes. Basically my senses where still being engaged.

I then had an experience when I noticed I was processing thought deeper in my mind, not as visual thought seemed to be centered behind the eyes towards the core. It is hard to articulate because it was so subtle but when I meditate I focus there.

It seems to give me most gain and what I experience there is a mind's eye view. I get realizations and even visions but they are not visually corporeal they are without form and before engagement of senses. I can draw a picture in my mind after of a vision brought from there but it is a separate process.
Thank you so much for sharing

tkp67

Post by tkp67 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:33 pm

You are most very welcome.

narhwal90

Post by narhwal90 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:51 pm

Visually, if there is light in the room then I see the inside of my eyelids but am not focusing on it. Mentally, a stream of thoughts, associations, reflections, emotions, memories, perhaps fragments of imagery, all of which slowly settle down for the most part to permit a more sustained attention on breath or intended focus. Some of that chatter can be very distracting and emphatic, but none of it is to be grasped or valued though it is sometimes memorable- in the end its just the mind doing mind stuff and not what I'm sitting on the cushion for.

LastLegend

Post by LastLegend » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:53 pm

I don’t see anything. I know when discriminative thoughts arise.
Clear!

well wisher

Post by well wisher » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:51 pm

Meditation does not necessarily have to closed-eyes. I had experiences where some teachers teach the closed eye method (eg. some Vipassana schools), and other teachers teaches the open eyes method by focus staring at the floor directly below and in front of you(eg. some Rinzai Zen schools).
For the closed eyes sessions, all I see is pitch darkness, but I do become more aware of my thoughts. There might be some drawbacks about inadvertently falling asleep though, so you might see some of your dreams there :tongue:
For open eye session, it should be obvious, all you see is the floor in front of you ;)

I don't think meditations are hallucinogenic inducing, as long as one is mentally aware and calm and keeps proper pacing. Letting go of the concepts of "stress" definitely helps!

Anyways, concentration and focus is the common key in most meditation practices I have experienced.

seeker242

Post by seeker242 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:10 am

I see the carpet or wood floor that is in front of the meditation cushion. :smile:
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!

Return to “Meditation”