Meditation to a dead one

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
gusthgm

Meditation to a dead one

Post by gusthgm » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:38 am

Hello Guys, is there a specific meditation to "help" a dead relative to have a fortunate reborn?

Fortyeightvows

Re: Meditation to a dead one

Post by Fortyeightvows » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:52 am

Hire an expert

Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:31 am

gusthgm wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:38 am
Hello Guys, is there a specific meditation to "help" a dead relative to have a fortunate reborn?
Medicinebuddha or Amithaba mantra can be performed.
For the benefit and ease of all sentient beings. :heart:

gusthgm

Post by gusthgm » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:20 pm

I thought about reciting the medicine buddha mantra during the 90 days of the bardo, does it help? I've never read anything about a practice that would help in this period.

cjdevries

Post by cjdevries » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:44 am

Lu Mountain Temple does a 49 day ceremony. I requested it for my dad and he later came to an ex girlfriend in a dream and she said he had a big smile on his face and he was in a good place. In the dream he said "I made it" with a big grin. It is expensive, at $5000, but if you purchase it before a person dies they knock $1000 off the price @ $4000. During the 49 day ceremony they do extensive chanting every day devoted to that person. They also have more affordable options. Their rebirth plaques are $100 for every month. I was told that $1000 translates into a year. So basically for $100 the temple generates rebirth blessings for your deceased relative for a month.

It looks like Maha Siddha Center offers a phowa service for $100, where they do their best to transfer the consciousness to a higher place, http://mahasiddha.org/prayers/index.php. It's near the bottom under "phowa".

Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:19 am

Garchen Rinpoche advised his students to visualize Amitabha and imagine the conciousnes of the dead people dissolve into him while reciting his mantra. The advice was given after the 9/11 attacks so I believe it is even appliable in your case. Develop altruistic mind, visualize Amitabha and recite his prayer. Also any good deed dedicate for the person in particular and all sentient beings in general. It is extremely beneficial for them and for you too as it helps with the grief.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Formerly known as Miroku.

Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:22 am

Also when possible get somebody perform some rites. Garchen Rinpoche does Chang Chong quite often, so maybe there would be a chance to get the person's name onto the list if you email his center in arizona.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Formerly known as Miroku.

Return to “Meditation”