Difficult in letting breath be natural

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
Mustardman

Difficult in letting breath be natural

Post by Mustardman » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:29 pm

Nearly two weeks ago I stumbled across a thread stating how a user had trouble letting his breath be natural without controlling in during meditation, this made me hyper conscious of my own breath and since then I have add issues deciding if it is natural or if I am controlling it. When i attempt different objects of meditation it seems all I can think about is the breath and I keep returning to it, mostly during walking meditation. Even throughout the day I find myself asking if I’m controlling it or not, which in one hand is good because I have become mindful more throughout the day, but on the other it is very straining to keep returning to the same problem day after day. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Queequeg
Global Moderator

Re: Difficult in letting breath be natural

Post by Queequeg » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:12 pm

Sounds like the therapy itself has become an affliction. I think the advice here would be to take a step back from those thoughts themselves and observe them as they come and go. I suspect if you treat those thoughts the same way as the breath, they'll pass of their own accord and you'll be back to where you were soon enough.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:26 pm

It’s quite common. When you start to place your attention on a process that usually goes on automatically you become self conscious. Relax. It will pass.
“The difference between us and Tara is that she knows she doesn’t exist”.

Simon E.

Post by Simon E. » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:32 pm

An old poem..
“ The centipede was happy quite.
Until a toad in fun
Said, ‘pray, which leg goes after which?’
Which worked his mind to such a pitch
He laid distracted in a ditch
Considering how to run.” :smile:

“The difference between us and Tara is that she knows she doesn’t exist”.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:57 pm

You can always use something other than the breath as an object for a while. QQs suggestion is good too.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

Return to “Meditation”